good local butcher?

edited July 2011 in Local discussion
Hello,

I just moved to Stroud Green Road and keen to find a good local butcher - any recommendations please?

Cheers!
Will

Comments

• edited 9:08AM
    I would be tempted to take a stroll over the hill to the next village (Crouch End). There are two good butchers there - one on Park Road, the other on Topsfield Parade/Tottenham Lane.

One of the great things about living in Stroud Green is being able to take advantage of the good bits of Crouch End without having to actually live there.
    Tony's butchers opposite the Old Dairy is great. Big range of fresh meat, very knowledgeable and friendly staff (I think it's family-run) and you get the added benefit of supporting a local business.
    Seconded for Tony's, it's run by a father and son.
    There is always a range of fresh meat/fish stalls on Farmers Markets, like the Alexandra Palace one.
    Tony's is well worth a visit. A good range of fresh meat and they know where it all comes from. The chicken is all free range and organic, for example, I think from somewhere East Anglia way, and you can really tell the difference in quality when you buy chicken breasts and dice them and cook them up for a curry or a stir fry. And they come out much cheaper than buying Tesco's ones. I normally see the younger chap in there and he'll give you tips on how to cook stuff if you need it. Give Tony's a try first, but If you do take your custom over the hill the sausages from the butchers on Park Road in Crouch End are excellent
    Go to Tony's, he's about half the price of the butchers in Crouch End or Highbury, and he claims his meat comes from the same suppliers. Always good fun shopping there, he knows everyone and everything.

It's true that he doesn't carry some of the more expensive, classier cuts as written up in the recipe columns of glossy magazines. He'll often come up with a cheaper alternative (he is after all in a less wealthy area) and just recommend a different way of preparing it. You can always ask him to order it in.

He chops and dresses the meat, ties it up, all that jazz like a traditional butcher. Excellent sausages too. Yum.
  • AliAli
    edited 9:08AM
    Tonys is great. He also has great very large eggs with quite a few with double yolks. His lamb chops are great on the BBQ
    Another vote for Tony's. Its staggering how much cheaper and better their meat is than Tesco's et al. I eat much less meat than I used to so don't go there that often, but they're easily the best place to stock up for a bbq. Top chaps too. They used to run a butcher in Totttenham for 18 yrs before they moved here. I think they struggle to compete, especially since the Sainsbury's opened, but they deserve supporting. Great bacon too.
  • IanIan
    edited 9:08AM
    Tony's is brilliant. Meat is really nice and cheap, and they are really friendly.
    Godfrey's if you want a bit of posh meat (I know). It is a bit further away but more than worth the quite pleasant stroll. <http://fgodfrey.co.uk/index.html>;
    Yet another vote for Tony's
  • Thanks to all who suggested Tony's back in July.  Another step toward cutting Tesco out of my life ... <br>
  • I did tell Tony (junior) I thought he should get onto this forum and say hello.  He was enthusiastic but said it might be a while as he is not that good at computers.    However he is very good at MEAT.    Another vote for him - on both counts.  
  • Tony's is brilliant.  Really nice and friendly, happy to help and make suggestions (like when I was cooking a shoulder of lamb).  Good quality meat.<br>
  • Juist ordered my Christmas meat from Tony.   Biut late in the day but he's still able to cope.   Good price too.
  • Tony's is great.<div><br></div><div>Lovely people, fantastic quality meat and excellent value.</div><div><br></div><div>Often think they are slightly hidden away where they are and would do better below the crossroads where there is much more footfall.</div>
  • <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><FONT face=Calibri size=3>Turkey and ham selected yesterday, kept in their big fridge will be <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>picked up on Saturday afternoon, great service and good value along with <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>excellent quality </FONT></P>
  • I can't wait to do Tony's pigs trotters.  Maybe after Christmas.  If it ever ends.
  • edited December 2017
  • <P>I went there today. It used to be called 'Meat Master' - why the change I wonder? They supply a lot of restaurants. Very good and friendly .</P> <P> </P> <P>Chang</P>
  • I wonder if Tony is aware of boar taint issue. The only pork I can buy safely is Danish one from supermarkets. Highbury butchers assured that they supply only stink-free pork, but two purchases (sausages and marinated ribs) clearly demonstrated the opposite. Maybe, those produces were outsourced, which is quite likely for sausages, but I do not want to proceed with further experiments. Sigh.