Car break in

edited August 2011 in Local discussion
Some lovely people broke into my car last night on Victoria Road by smashing the passenger window. All they took was my ancient sat nav that was in the glove box. I'm sure they'll get all of £5 for it.

I've been saying for ages I need to get a new sat nav that actually works, so that's not too much of a worry, it's more the inconvenience and the £60 for a new window.

What did surprise me though was watching the amount of people walking past this morning and not just having a quick look at the smashed glass and broken window, but literally putting their head through the window to have a good old look!

Comments

• edited 5:59AM
    I walked past your car this morning (my head remained firmly out of your car), was there anything on display? I'm getting a new car in the next few weeks and a bit nervous now..
    They were clearly just after the sat nav, and I stupidly had left the holder for it stuck on the windscreen as I'd used it earlier that evening - I usually take that off the windscreen and put it in the glovebox too. So that probably alerted them to the fact that it might be in the car. Mind you, had they looked at the holder properly they might have realised that my sat nav is the size of a brick and not worth having! They left the holder in the car, so presumably whoever ends up with it will have to drive round with it on their lap.

Hopefully now I don't have a sat nav to nick it won't happen again, and I certainly won't leave anything at all in the car in future.

There was quite a lot of stuff in the boot (none of it worth nicking), but I'm quite sure that after making such a big noise smashing the window they wouldn't have hung around to have a good look if there was anything else. I'm sure all my neighbours would have heard - it did actually wake me up, but I thought it sounded like someone moving a wheelie bin or something.
    Our neighbours on Moray Road was smashed in last night too.
    My car was broken into last week too.

Have you reported to the police?
    I've had to resort to leaving my glovebox empty and open, and also have taken the parcel shelf out with nothing in the boot. Previously my car was broken into 7 times in the space of about 18 months (parked on Albany / Stapleton Hall Roads). Nothing was ever stolen (nothing ever in there to steal) but as you say it's the damage that is really annoying - both my doors are damaged beyond repair and the windows don't work now. Make sure you report it to the police!
    A car on Regina Road was broken into today. Broad daylight I think...