My Kind of Coffee

edited August 2011 in Local discussion
This is an interesting new coffee shop, in Broadway Parade, Crouch End, more or less opposite the post office. The window is full of beans, of all sorts. Inside is a wonderful roasting machine. They advise you as to the mix, grind it to suit, and you walk away with 100 grams of heaven, smellable from half way across the room, for about £2.20.

Before that, I had a 'dry' cappuccino, for £2.30, 15p more than Costa, but in a different league, for quality. Spacious premises, plus a bench outside on the pavement. Chairs with armrests - good; upholstered in red, white and blue - bad!

2 middle-aged Turks run the joint, and are very keen to make a go of it. They've only been open 6 days, so business is not yet brisk. I got chatting to the young musician assistant. He is crazy about Kerouac, and went to Birmingham to view the original typescript, eccentricly sellotaped together lengthwise, in a long long chain. He got talking to an 88 year old woman, who turned out to be somebody Cassady, and one of the gang, in the original book! They have become friends, and he goes to visit her in Bracknell - she moved to UK aged 60. She says the book is somewhat fanciful, and she has written her own account, 'Off The Road' (what else?). I was so intrigued I have just ordered it from the library.

Where was I? Oh yes. Great coffee. Why not give it a go?

Comments

• edited 1:14PM
    I love the Union Jack upholstered silver thrones, they are one of the nicest things about it. <http://shop.decorexi.co.uk/product/1258/Union_Jack_Armchair_Silver>; Good story, Neal Cassady's wife?
    Well spotted, Miss Annie. I haven't read On The Road - must do so soon.
    Surely On the Road is a novel, and as such meant to be fanciful?
    Semi-autobiographical, I believe, ADGS. Based on real events and real people - one of whom is Carolyn (?) Cassady - or so I'm told. I've just got the book from the library, and read a few pages. Will I make it to the end? I doubt if it will mean much to this grumpy 68 year old, but I'll give it a go. And CC's account (published 2007?) might be worth a glance, when it eventually turns up.
    Certainly it has autobiographical elements, but the tendency to read novels as memoirs - and then complain about the use of artistic license - is a characteristic sin of modern readers which annoys me almost as much as the insistence on 'likeable characters'.
    You've read it, then? What do you think of it?
    And it wasn't me complaining. Ms Cassady was apparently comparing the book with her own experience, which I suppose she is entitled to do, if it contributed substantially to the finished work.And I don't think she was complaining either. Go and ask the young chap in the cafe, if you're interested. He says he visits her every 2 weeks - in Bracknell!
    Have just discovered loads more about Carolyn Cassady and friends on Wikipedia, if anyone is interested. Most of the above more or less confirmed.

I've now read a bit of On The Road, and hate it, so far. I doubt if I shall make it much further.Written by and for adolescents, it seems to me. So far.
    Didn't realise Carolyn lived over here. I remember her 'Off the road' book coming out and some reviews of it. She also got involved with the 'Here to go/Brion Gysin' retrospective I attended at the October Gallery, Holborn in 1992 and the associated week long event in Dublin that year, organised by Frank Rynne and Joe Ambrose. It now makes sense that she got involved as she lived over here.

I read 'On the Road' when I was about 14 and found it exhilarting at the start but it became tedious around the half way mark. Truman Capote said it wasn't writing but typing, and he did have a point. William Burroughs is another beat writer whose books are interesting but not easy to read. I have never even attempted to read his cut-up books. His last few novels (the Western Lands trilogy) are probably the easiest ones to read.
    I only managed about 50 pages of On the Road, and I was an adolescent at the time. I could see why it had been a big deal at the time, but it had become so much part of the cultural furniture that it just felt a little played-out. But whereas similarly you can't watch Psycho for the first time (you've seen too many references, pastiches &c before you get there), that's still a good film. On the Road...I'm not so sure it's still a good book.
    this place appears to have coffee beans priced like the algerian coffee shop in soho ... i would assume that the rent is cheaper in crouch end?
    Meaning what? Best coffee in Crouch End by a long chalk. The food is good too.
    meaning central london prices for coffee beans. havent had a chance to eat there yet.