Local History

edited September 2011 in Local discussion
We have just put up a new website for Poole's Park School http://www.poolespark.com/ and have included a community section, which, amongst other things includes an historical section on many of the local streets http://www.poolespark.com/node/16107 - all based on the archives here at the school. If anyone would like to add/edit/contribute/object to anything, please let me know - the more the merrier!!

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Thanks so much for that wonderful collection. The demolition of those streets and terraces and replacement by hideous and inaccessible concrete jungles was a massive crime. The remaining stub of Pooles Park Rd has been cut off from the school for decades, but I get the impression that the gradual redevelopment of the estate is slowly stretching it back in your direction again, it’s already reached Biggerstaffe Street (formerly Paddington Street). Hopefully one day the whole street-grid will be restored.
  • edited September 2011
    Fascinating. It seems remarkable now how many 'firsts' Finsbury Park is responsible for. Someone previously mentioned that the first London Beatles concert was on SGR - but according to the 'Pooles Park Landmarks' page FP was also the first place in the country to show a film with sound and more imporantly, the first place where the "saw-the-woman-in-half magic act was performed"!
  • edited 9:52PM
    My landlady (quite old, late50s) says there was a famous kids show made here, mr ben or thunderbirds maybe. Thee was a bob Hoskins connection ( him from Roger wabbit). but no sports stars I think
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliAli
    edited 9:52PM
    No 42 I think
    @Changn4n6. Please ask your Landlady whether the famous kids 'shows' that she mentioned were made in a a 1930's building, next to a bridge leading to Finsbury Park. Does she remember Fireball XL5? I think that the film was developed there, or something. Is that what she was thinking? Would love to know.
    She says that sounds likely. I've just seen xl5 on you tube - cool show! Then production expanded and eventually moved west (slough she thinks!)Certainly puppets not actors. the clangers or flumps were later ones tho 'famous puppet producer ' Oliver postgate apparently worked in crouch end at some point so maybe there were two studios at one point? If we had a sg museum this would be a good exhibit ! Chang
    @ ChangN4N6. Thank you so much for your info. As I said before, I really wish( even more so now) that I had taken some of those pieces of film that I used to see in the bins!!!
    Glad that you liked ' Fireball'. I loved it as a kid in the early 60's. It may not seem like it now, but it was way ahead of it's time when the only puppets we saw on the TV were Sooty, and Pinky and Perky, which drove me nuts.
    Gerry Anderson made a puppet show prior to 'Fireball', it was called Four Feather Falls, I think that it was his first ' puppet' TV series. It was a western. I can just about remember this, perhaps your Landlady does too? P.s. I had not thought about it before, but at 55, I guess that I am 'quite old' too. Bugger, does that now mean that I have to give up the skateboard, and the roller blades? (in my dreams)
    It's okay Chang, I am not offended in the least. You put a huge smile on my face. Thank You.
    I think that an SG museum would be a great idea.
    I loved Alan Moore's suggestion in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that each of the XL spaceships was named after what had happened to the previous ones - hence the Fireball XL5 followed the Pancake XL6.