Bus crashed into Shop on SGR opp John Jones

edited September 2011 in Local discussion
Luckily no one was injured

Loads of police and emergency services are on the scene...

Comments

• edited 12:32PM
    i saw it happen!
    So what exactly <i>did</i> happen?

Looks as though the bus is wedged on the pavement. Not sure it actually hit the shop - but it came very close.

Quite what it was doing there I don't know - Morris Place is currently closed due to roadworks, so it can't turn right there, there's no right turn into the bus station at the next turning, and it can't fit under the railway bridge.
    All looks very dramatic! Lots of firemen, police and ambulances. As marko says, bit of a mystery as to what it was doing that far down.
  • RoyRoy
    edited 12:32PM
    So, presumably a bus driver forgot about the roadworks until they got to Morris Place, at which point they were stuck, and seeing no way of proceeding perhaps attempted a three-point turn? And perhaps got even more stuck in the process? roy
    The sum of damage to the shop appears to be a broken floor tile on the doorstep. There was some broken glass too, and a broken 'stop at the red light' sign.

There's absolutely no way you could turn a bus around in that space with a 3 point turn! There's a tree in the way on the opposite pavement. Surely they would reverse 50m up the street and then turn into Lennox Road?
    Bus driver realised he went too far and let the passengers out, then for some reason he got out of his cab with the handbreak off apparently!!! And it rolled and hit the curb/shop.... Shop mostly intact and no one injured I think....

BTP we're obviously not needed seeing as about 6 of them were in Nandos
    I also saw the BTP attending a really important emergency, which they attended in a Police Van with blues and twos <b>at their own police station</b>