Help! My Boiler is Leaking!

edited October 2011 in Local discussion
Can anyone recommend to me what to do about this? We have just moved into a property in SG- we are first time buyers so money is obviously tight! Its not a bad leak only small drips now and again but if anyone could recommend a boiler person who does not charge the earth or who will immediately try to persuade us to get a new boiler I would be really interested in hearing from you!

Thanks

Susie

Comments

• edited 8:25AM
    I've always found [N4 Gas](http://www.n4gas.co.uk/) to be honest, reasonably priced and excellent to deal with.
    Word of Warning about AATBF & CO - they very recently did a number on us when we had problem, disconnected appliances that we hadn't even asked them to look at, and then effectively held us to ransom by giving us an absolutely massive quote to do the work. We then went to two other companies to get second opinions and they both said that AATBF were quoting to do work that was unnecessary and over the top. In the end we had the problem fixed by another company for a fifth of what AATBF were quoting.

Add to this the fact that they demanded cash payment for an hour's call out before they would even step in the front door, and the rudest engineers I've ever met (and I've met a few), my advice would be to AVOID AATBF at all costs.
  • edited October 2011
    I had a similar problem with AATBF - I asked them to come around to service the boiler and by the end of the day they had disconnected the gas hob and the gas fire neither of which I had asked them to look at. I found them very difficult to communicate with and very reluctant to explain things clearly to me. If you do have them around to do work I'd advise keeping an eagle eye on them and questioning them on every piece of work they suggest to you.
    Ben Wright-Hume, who I found here:
    http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/2491/

He's been to us a couple of times and he is great, and not too pricey.
    Thanks to everybody for your help! Being fairly young and dumb when it comes to anything DIY related its really helpful to have some suggestions from people who are not just out to make a quick buck!

:)
    I second N4 gas. Always turn up and very reasonable in price.
    I am not a plumber and not even a moderately competent diy-er, so take this for what it's worth: when my old boiler dripped slightly it was because the pressure was low and that could be fixed by turning a handle or something. So it might nothing more than that.
    @mirandola - you probably mean using the tap on the filler loop (below the boiler, one pipe with possibly two taps or valves) to refill the system and raise the pressure. My boiler runs best at about 1.8-2.4 bar. I AM NOT A PLUMBER.
    I had to do that this morning. Always scared it's going to blow up in my face. I only ever do it to 1 bar... how do I find out what pressure it should be at?
    @Andy,

Can I call you out the next time my boiler sputters?
    Just to let you know N4 GAS seemed pleasant to deal with on the phone and gave us a price for the annual service/identifying the leak of £70 which seems quite reasonable for London prices....correct me if I am wrong though!
  • AliAli
    edited 8:25AM
    \it is waht it might lead to that you have to watch out for !
    I like the chaps at N4 gas. They replaced all the radiators in my flat, and did a nice job and it was pretty cheap I thought. And they quoted less than half the price of British Gas to replace the boiler. I didn't go with them in the end (my dad did it) but I wouldn't have had any problems asking them to do the work.
  • Ditto the recommendation for the guys at N4 - used them twice now including getting them to come fix our heating the day we brought our newborn home from the hospital and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Reasonable prices (in fact they didn't charge us at all one time as it was such a small job) efficent and get the job done.  I also had a bad experience with AATBF - the chap they sent was rude and the first thing he did was ask for payment before even looking at what the problem was. He then tried to convince me we needed to have all our electrics for our boiler replaced but as my brothef-in-law is an electrican i knew this wasn't true. I then got N4 out and they fixed the problem in ten minutes (which was a blocked external pipe - the guy from AATBF didn't even look at the outside).
  • Another vote from me for N4 Gas.  I've used them twice, in the first case he was the only plumber who actually understood and corrected a wiring problem which had sent our heating haywire, no call out charge and very reasonable cost.    Thoroughly nice chap too.
  • N4 Gas get the vote from me too.
  • N4Gas are absolutely fantastic!<div>Quick, thoughtful and honest.</div><div>Hats off to them.</div>
  • I also recommend Ben Wright-Hume. <br>Very prompt, friendly and reasonable, but much more importantly, came up with a very clever bit of detective work that solved an age-old old problem of an inefficient performance from the boiler.<br><br><br>
  • You could also try British Gas Homecare.  It's probably too late for your original enquiry but for a reasonable monthly fee, they provide a good all round service and are very prompt to respond.<div><br></div>
  • We need to have our new boiler serviced and some radiators looked that we cannot bleed ourselves. How much does N4 Gas charge for a service? Has anyone used them recently?
  • Look a few lines down - 'Plumber recommendation' sounds like what you need
  • I can really recommend Greg (07817 018 782)  Did a boiler service for about £70 and is extremely honest.  
  • N4 Gas I can recommend - have been v good!
  • Today I had the pleasure to deal for the first time with David from N4 GAS. My boiler has been leaking for a while and I did not know what was the problem, and I am not an expert when it comes to boilers.<BR>David came had a look at the boiler and replaced a small part.  The job was only 5 minutes and he had all the rights to charge me,  but he did not. <BR>I definitely will use N4 GAS if I have again a problem with my boiler in the future. Top service well done!  
  • edited December 2017