Sloe picking

edited October 2011 in Local discussion
We're deep into sloe picking season and I find myself without a free weekend to go picking in Suffolk. Does anyone know a reliable spot (or even somewhere they have a hunch might be suitable) anywhere in London (or ideally nearby).

Parkland Walk seems like it should be good but I've never actually seen any.

Any thoughts or theories would be lovely.

(and if you ever want to make some yourself take a bottle of gin, drink half, add a wine glass of sugar and then fill it with pricked sloes. Turn it every day, then week, then month, for 3-24 months).

Cheers

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 5:07AM
    Brilliant, cheers Misscara!
  • edited 5:07AM
    Epping Forest too, there's a bit near a lake that's laden. It's getting quite late though. I usually pick them in September and get some damsons at the same time. This year it was the end of Sept and most of the damsons were rotting. Still got some, but they're a bit mushy. The sloes looked good though.

If there's any left after xmas we should have a gin-off to agree on the best hedgerow tincture made in SG. The winner doesn't matter much, but the drinking does!

Parkland walk is no good at all for sloes. There are blackthorn bushes, but they're a bit puny.