The Singing Postman

edited October 2011 in Local discussion
Has anyone come across the singing postman? He's a black guy with an American accent. He delivers the parcels. I've been working at home recently and noticed him. He knocks on the door and sings: 'Postman, it's the postman' etc. This morning opening the door, I got a 'It's the girl with the beautiful smile and lovely red shoes' sung to me. Poetic licence I thought, but still like stepping onto a production of 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg'. It was as much as I could do, to not sing back a response on cue.

Comments

• edited 8:42AM
    He's great. He came in once and told me I looked like a famous singer but couldn't remember who. Then he said maybe it was Eric Clapton which was a bit much as I'm half his age and I have no hair!

Anyway yeah he's a great character.
  • AliAli
    edited 8:42AM
    Had a chat with him this morning when he was delivering a parcel in Florence Road, he seemed very impressed we where cycling to school as a family. Helps to have a cheery start to the day ! I have also noticed the jogging Postie around Victoria and Lorne Road.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The singing postman 'showered' me with blessings and salutations the other day!
  • edited 8:42AM
    Ah, Mike Hudson (aka "Detroit") is back.... He used to deliver to our road about 20 years ago and he does like a chat!
  • Met the singing postman for the first time today. He wasn't singing, but he did give me a big hug once he heard my American accent. Lovely man.<br>
  • Curious - I also met him for the first time.  He was singing show-tunes in a high falsetto.<br>
  • I met him delivering round here about 10 years ago, and then a couple of weeks heard someone singing behind me - he's back! Even on one's grumpiest day it's impossible to avoid smiling at him...
  • The lovely singing postman has been cheering us up in the area across Finsbury Park for a few years now, his round must have been extended. He's never without a smile and a kind word.
  • We owe a great deal to Mike, got to know all the neighbours redirecting all the misplaced mail!
  • Saw him for the first time on Saturday - driving a PO van and singing at the top of his voice at my bemused little girl.<br><br>I'm selfishly glad a career in children's entertainment, at which he'd so obviously excel, hasn't tempted him...<br>
  • I met the singing postman about a month ago on Cornwall Road when he delivered my birthday presents - he totally brightened up my day! I almost want to order things and stay in and wait for them just so I get serenaded in a morning!!
  • We still haven't heard what happened after Norman consulted the Singing Postman re Sugar Lounge's expanding t-shirt empire. Nothing?
  • Ahhh I was blessed with the singing postman for the first time this week on Tollington Park, and he came back for an encore with another parcel later. He was very sweet about my dishevelled appearance.<br><br>Anyone remember Everton? He was the Rasta who was the regular postman on this street for years. He knew everyone and used to take ages to deliver it all as we'd all be talking to him. If I met him on the street on my way out in the morning he would dig out my letters for me. I was always amazed he could remember peoples names and addresses like that. He had his own way of doing things and if you ever had to pick up a parcel from the sorting office that Everton had taken back there, the guy at the desk would sigh and say "ah Everton" and know it may have been filed creatively. I missed him when he stopped this round, but he was still in the area a while afterwards. He used to cheer everyone up with his friendliness. Haven't seen him for ages now though. Current postie is nice though, and always waves at me when I cycle past him.<br>