Is this good or bad news. Im not sure......

edited November 2011 in About this site
The empty space under the flats at the crossroads between Hanley Road and Hornsey Road is to become a supermarket, allegedly a Sainsburys. The workies were already preparing the space today with flooring, shutters and windows. In some ways this is great news, but in others its terrible....<div><br></div><div>Good news</div><div>The space wasn't being used</div><div>It looked a bit crap</div><div>It makes that end of the street slightly more appealing</div><div>I guess my nectar points will go through the roof</div><div>Peter Andre at the Hamlet Cafe will become a millionaire as people start to sample his famous Mega Breakfast before doing their shopping</div><div><br></div><div>Bad news  </div><div>Rishin 2 is going to get destroyed. This makes me very sad, i love talking to the people that run it and cashing in my lottery winnings</div><div>Hornsey Tap supermarket is going to get destroyed. This makes me very sad, they are the hardest working team ever</div><div>Another infiltration of the mults into our communities. This makes me angry.</div><div>Won't they need to use the big lorries to fill it every day? That seems crazy on a cross roads.</div><div><br></div><div>Good or bad news?</div><div><br></div>

Comments

• Another set of builders still claim that the new building at the corner of Tollington Park and Hornsey is going to get a Tesco's.They're definitely digging out the basement: <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: small; ">P112180</span>
  • Shops around the Tollington Park bit of Hornsey Rd have always struggled, but the mini supermarkets have survived ok. I'd hate to see a Tesco chase them off. <br>
  • As someone who lives that side and has no access to either fresh decent fruit and veg on the doorstep or a free cashpoint....can't bloody wait!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <p>I used to live just there - right next to the Spiritualist church. I would have loved Sainsbury's to have opened then, mainly for the cashpoint.</p><p>Indies don't disappear in a puff of smoke because multis open, they disappear if people actively decide to stop shopping there. If you love a shop and believe that it is the best place to shop, carry on shopping there and they'll be fine. </p><p>Good news for Ajani Bar & Grill, more people visiting Hornsey Rd might mean more people see it. </p>
  • This the empty shop below the flats opposite The Corner Flag? <div><br></div><div>Based on what I've been told, I'm pretty certain that it won't be a Sainsbury's (the lorry deliveries being the biggest problem). Unless I've been lied to. </div>
  • My source isn't very credible, it was just a bloke doing the shutters....and even then he didn't outright say Sainsburys...he's not allowed to. It is being developed now though, and it looks supermarketish.<div><br></div><div>I like the traders round here, but (certainly in the case of Rishin 2) they're not the best shops. He runs his shop leaner than a soviet corner shop in the 1980's. They (hornsey tap) will be cheaper than the mults on fruit and veg but the quality won't be there. The flats on fairbridge might bring in more trade but the EDA at the end of Spears will pick that up because its nearer.</div><div><br></div><div>I'll keep buying my papers and lottery from Rishin 2, but they're going to have to sell an awful lot more to keep going. I'd vote for Samosas at the till point.....those always get me.</div>
  • I just finished a blog post on the new development at Tollington/Hornsey. Still can't work out if this means it'll be a Tesco's or not, but it seems likely. <div><br></div><div>Self-promotion:<br><div><br></div><div><a href="http://thehornseyroad.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-fayers-plumbing-merchants-is.html">http://thehornseyroad.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-fayers-plumbing-merchants-is.html</a></div></div>;
  • Went past on the 210 yesterday, and it looks more like an independent supermarket, or perhaps a Nisa, rather than a Sainsbury's/Tesco.  The white shutters remind me of the Nisa in FP. <div><br></div><div>@Mirandola - interesting post, but your land uses are a tiny bit off, see here: <a href="http://www.planning-applications.co.uk/uconewclasses.htm">http://www.planning-applications.co.uk/uconewclasses.htm</a> </div>;
  • @ActionVerb - thank you. Have corrected. 
  • Was stopped at the light on bicycle on way home last week and asked one of the workers - he says it is an independent market.
  • As in independent supermarket?
  • Whoops, yes, I did mean an independent supermarket - I'm hoping like Woody's however he didn't say much more than that.  Will have to wait for the signs to go up I guess.
  • The builders are very definite that it'll be a tesco, and they seem to have started work fitting it out. 
  • The fit out work has been going on slowly for months now. I can almost guarantee that it won't be a Tesco for a couple of reasons. One reason is the length of time taking for the fit out, if Tesco had committed to it, and started work in November as this thread would suggest, then it would have been open by now. (caveat - unless previous fit out was not Tesco related). There's no way (that I can see anyway) of getting delivery vehicles (10/11tonne arctic lorries) for the store without blocking hornsey rd. It's not wide enough for three vehicles to get through the same bit of road (im also assuming that its double yellow lines without loading on HR). Side road has width restriction. Getting four/five deliveries every morning I don't think would work, and so a site like this would normally be discounted. There's also nothing on the Councils planning website that would suggest even a potentially approximate store layout had been approved previously, although I might have missed it I suppose. I hope youre all sufficiently bored now :) . I might be wrong however, and humble pie will be eaten if I am.