Good old Sainsbury's

2»

Comments

• How soon before a scrounger takes up residence outside?
  • They have a sale of underwear in the home bit. Odd thing to start with. What does it say about this area? Chang
  • RoyRoy
    edited August 2012
    I can't say I noticed they even had an underwear section - seems surprising for a shop of that size - but then can't say that was really what I was looking for on the way to work.<br><br>I did, however, completely fail to find the section selling single bags of Walker's crisps.  Seems odd that a shop by the station would regard underwear as more important than crisps (if indeed Chang was being serious, and if indeed I wasn't simply being incredibly unobservant)<br><br>roy<br>
  • The Sainsburys opposite Mind has stopped selling coffee filter papers, and organic coffee ... so now I have to walk round the corner to Londis ,,, grrr. [Tough! Ed.]
  • It inspires a great deal of confidence in the ATM at the new Sainsbury's, which presumably punts out tens of thousands of pounds every week, that it tells my bank statement that it's in the so-up-and-coming-no-one's-heard-of-it-yet north-London suburb of Fishbury Park.<br>
  • And so the old joke about the area's Greek-Cypriots and Turks pronouncing of its name manages to rear its head on cash machine receipts.<br><br>Has anyone checked to see if the cash machine at the Sainsbury's Local in Archway claims to be in Lower Highgate?<br>
  • Highgate Slopes isn't it?
  • <P>Not everybody knows that there is also a Highgate New Town. It features in Betjeman's poem about Parly Hill, when it probably was new. Quite different from the Village, with big estates, etc. On the C11 bus route.. I rather like it. </P> <P>As for Sainsbury's, I'm ashamed to admit  that the new arrival on lower SGR, together with the other 'chain' intruder, Costa's, have markedly improved the chararacter of  that stretch. How do I reconcile this with my political belief that they are a menace?</P>
  • You're on a slippery slope, @checkski :)
  • @checkski<;br><br>Get a pair of cheap glasses and stand as if you would be looking at that stretch of road.<br><br>Mark out on those glasses where the Sainsbury's / Costa signs on the outside of the buildings would be then etch onto the glasses at that point a made-up independent shop's name.<br><br>Then whenever you look at them you will see indie shop not chain and as long as you don't go in and spend any money there, problem solved.<br>
  • Well, I was back in the new, new Sainsbury's the other week and I walked round the entire store twice looking for the underwear section.  Either Chang is hallucinating or I'm blind (or it was an opening-day special).<br><br>I did, however, manage to find the individual bags of crisps, so all is well on that front.<br><br>Not been in since though - I continue to use Nisa or Budget if I want to grab something on the way home from the station.<br><br>roy<br>