Stroud Green is on Telly at 7.30 tonight

AliAli
edited November 2011 in About this site
Programme on BBC 1 about parking and CPZ s featurtes Stroud Green

Comments

• <P>it said exactly the same as we all have - it would be better not to have the CPZ, but due to the domino effect, there was no escaping it, and those that had been opposed to it originally were having to change their views as more and more streets become crowded as the CPZ expands.</P> <P>What was interesting is that they said that the money generated from CPZs has to be spent on parking/road related issues (councils can't just use the money to pay for social workers etc).  Some people in Barnet are attempting to sue the council for mis-use of the income.  </P> <P>Overall view was that the motorist is being unfairly taxed, and that councils are just using the CPZ as another form of council tax.  The hike in parking permit/visitor permit costs was also mentioned (not just in Haringey/Islington but all across London), can't remember the exact figures, but as a percentage it was ridiculous compared to the cost of inflation (as us all motorists know!)</P>
  • It must be on Iplayer
  • Just to clarify those figures:<br><br>Islington put its benchmark residents parking permit up from £70 to £109 this year - that's 56%<br><br>Inflation is 5%<br><br><br><br><br>
  • <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><FONT face=Calibri size=3>Is it not the law that the council has to use the income to fund the CPZ.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The cost of running the scheme could not of gone up 59% so is there anything published by the council which tells you what they have done with the rest of the money ?</FONT></P>
  • This should hopefully link to the start of the item:<div><br></div><div>http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b017ptry/?t=1m19s</div>;
  • Sorry to bring up my painful post about CPZ's with Islington Council a year ago, but i asked the same question. Strangely (or not), it was the only point on my mega-rant they didn't address. Im considering starting an occupation in a tented village outside their offices on Upper Street. Perhaps a drag race down the strip might get their attention, especially with that 20mph nonsense.
  • In drag? Will that improve the argument?