Too-Whit-Too-Whoo

edited December 2011 in About this site
So I went out in to the garden for a smoke at about 6:30 this morning and heard what sounded like an owl. It wasn't quite too-whit-too-whoo but very similar and very loud. Never heard (or seen for that matter) an owl in London. Anyone heard or seen this feathered friend before.<div><br></div><div>Oh yeah, may help if I say where it was! In the gardens between Cornwall Road and Connaught Road.</div><div><br></div>

Comments

• <FONT face=Georgia>I've heard owl's in London before but not round here - but could be very possible! You're very lucky if it was!</FONT>
  • There's a tawny owl that knocks around the upper east side, but that won't be twit twooing, more of a screech.
  • Well this was kind of screeching. A bit like the <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">rare screaming caterpillar in the Simpsons.</span>
  • We have one on Moray Rd! Not sure what kind, we hear him occasionally and have seen him swooping once. Apparently there are lots on the Parkland Walk.
  • There are loads of tawny owls in the Granville Rd spinney. They do quite a lot of shrieking. The twit-twooing (only it's more like 'keeee-wick! Woooo!') happens when they're calling and responding to each other. Or to one of my neighbours - there are quite a few who like to make the 'woo' noise when they hear the owls calling. I don't know why confusing owls is such a popular nighttime sport round these parts. 
  • this owl made me laugh - <a href="">
  • A screech would be a Barn Owl. They used to live in St Peter in Chains.<div>There are lots of Tawny Owls around in the Parkland Walk too.</div><div>They hunt over the reservoir and can be heard and sometimes seen on Mountview Rd, Mount Pleasant Villas, Ossian Rd and The Grove--where the allotments are--at night and in the early mornings..</div>
  • How exciting.    I recently saw a green woodpecker feeding on the grass at the edge of the FP running track.
  • My boyfriend once lost us a pub quiz by insisting that the sound clip which turned out to be an owl was in fact a gorilla.  I doubt you have a gorilla in your garden.
  • edited December 2011
    <P>i'm always on the look out for hooters (no pun intended)</P> <P>owls can rotate their heads 270 degrees,a bit like in the film the excorcist.</P> <P>yeah? yeah!</P> <P>any parkland walkers on muntjac watch?</P> <P> </P>