New cafe

Comments

• In Vagabond this morning, which was v. busy, when the singing postman came in for a take away. He sang his order to the barristas who happily sang back in the same spirit although perhaps not quite as musically as him.   Having read on another thread that the singing postman was back and around I was very pleased when he delivered a parcel to us the other day and warm hugs were had and a discussion about how (my) the kids were all big and grown up now etc...  So we also sang hello and goodbye to him across the crowded cafe. <br>
  • This talk of the singing postman makes me want to move over to the stroud green side of FP - he sounds pretty cool!  :)
  • There is a darker side.
  • I love Vagabond. They made borscht today and yesterday upon the request of one of their regulars. It already has a very community feel to it, and is an extremely pleasant place to sit for a while. They also have an excellent, very esoteric selection of books. Someone has borrowed one of the poetry books that was excellent - called something like Poetry for Extreme Times - and not returned it though.
  • <P>Pleased and proud to inform you that I was that regular, Lolo - or at least one of them - but Pauvilus claims it was a Vagabond decision, so - great minds...</P> <P>Either way -anyway - you'll all be pleased to hear they get their stuff from Fruit and Veg, which I see as the best of SGR pulling together. I am trying to interest the Vagabonds in shchi  (Russian cabbage soup), next, but Danus maintains we have the wrong sort of cabbage. Fingers crossed. </P> <P>The place continues to be a great success, with friendly, lively, interesting staff and customers alike* - oh, and - once more with feeling - all their drinks are first class.</P> <P>*Sudden thought: this is surely a function  of what I previously regarded as a downside - that we are all squashed together. But, on reflection, this tends towards generalised conversation, which  turns out to be a resounding up.</P>
  • What kind of borscht are they offering? the clear one with tiny pierogi with it or one with pieces of vegetables in it? white or beetroot one? oooh....
  • I think beetroot although I haven't tried it. The younger one got his mother to send him her recipe.
  • does anyone have the full address of Vagabond, plus postcode?
  • Charter Court, (19 I think but not sure), Stroud Green Road, N4 3SG<br><br>(address on the poster for the art)<br>
  • Further to the poetry book comment, I was really impressed by their book selection - not the usual collection of things charity shops can't get rid of, but Dedalus anthologies, Angela Carter and Nietzsche. A rare place where turning up without something to read would give one a choice of genuine riches, not just the least worst of a hackneyed bunch.<br>
  • Hi there all, I am in the process of organising a story / arts night there on Wednesday 28th March - would you all be interested? I have local comic book writer Karrie Fransman confirmed as well as Test Tube Comedy curator, Dec Munroe in the line up... it will be an intimate affair - put it in the diary.  http://www.karriefransman.com/ and <br>http://www.testtubecomedy.co.uk/<br>But there will be more information when everything is confirmed.<br>
  • How interesting. More details please. 
  • at least it is an easy venue to fill!
  • Good idea. What's the price. I like comedy and that place should be fun. Chang.
  • The night is going to be FULL... I have 2 poets - one is an actress from Call The Midwife,<br>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_McAllister<br><br>She was in a couple of the episodes... and <br>Ben Target - who is a serial comedy performer to tells stories about tigers in libraries.<br><br>I have meeting there on Monday to finalise details.<br><br>No door charge just fun - might do a collection or something but it's just for the joy and for the boys to make some money... <br>People can buy soups and sarnies and coffee and cake - yum....<br><br><br>
  • Sounds nice.  Did you go to any of the literary evenings in the Sugar Lounge?   They were very busy, and the bar did really well.   People hung around for ages afterwards to mingle, buy the books etc.
  • Just wanted to add a belated thumbs-up for this place - excellent coffee, nice friendly people, a really welcome addition to the road and I'm so glad to see it doing well.
  • For those of you who were following the strand about the comedy night I have set the event up on Facebook. <br><br>https://www.facebook.com/events/182904435154357/<br>;
  • I went to Vagabond for the first time yesterday and was so blown away by how good the coffee was that I had 2. Completely wired for the rest of the day, but in a good way!
  • Hi there,<div><br></div><div>this is a message for the owners of <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">Vagabond,</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">Do you think you could put some more seating outside in the summer? I think it will be really nice to sit out of the shop in the summer sun, please take advantage of the space outside of the shop chaps,</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">Keep up the great work,</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">Ad</span></div>
  • They have told me that they intend to put tables outside when the weather improves.
  • I was in there a little while ago when the people from Haringay council were there measuring up and giving the prices per sq for tables and chairs outside ...can't remember now how much but it was quite tidy little sum ... I wos a bit shocked.
  • Yeah, they tell me it's very expensive so they have to think very carefully about how many they should have.<br>
  • <P>Are there any council by-laws which would stop us from turning up with our own chairs, having a coffee and then taking the chairs with us when we go?</P>
  • We ought do that one day, like a flash mob with deck-chairs.<br>
  • I think there must be a by-law against flashing, whether in a mob or individually...
  • I think the no flashing by-law concerns nudity ... [nb maybe the Ancient and Honourable SG Corporation and its sherrifs should develop some by-law about this]
  • There's no by-law against buying a coffee and some cake and sitting in the park. Picnic, anyone?<br>
  • And so has the world of show biz. I found myself yesterday morning sitting next to a young woman being interviewed about her singing. When I had the cheek to ask who she was she said 'Aruba Red', but that she - how did she put it? - was a coming star rather than up there already (my words). The kids I teach were intrigued, but hadn't heard of her - yet?