Comments

• Very OTT response to one minor breakage by Bill. It looks unsightly and will ruin what looks a nice architectural area. Ps when did the convent close ?
  • <p>The convent closed about 2 years ago and has been turned into rather nasty rented accommodation.</p><p><br></p>
  • We could do with some nuns round these parts.
  • The proposed netting is in fact a 10m high fence that will surround much of the cricket pitch. Not only will this be an immense blot on the landscape but it's also a complete waste of public money. According to the cricket team fixtures there are only about 12 matches scheduled at the pitch for this coming year. There's a meeting at 7pm on Tuesday 24th at St Mellitus Church to discuss plans. Please come along if you care about our open spaces. Thanks
  • If it is the thing that keeps the cricket going I'd still be in favour. There are obviously problems from neighbours and the cricket has been there longer than they have, so if the result is a fence that's what it will have to be. <br>
  • The fence will be 10m high - higher than all of the surrounding houses. It will look like a prison fence. The cost will be immense compared to the £600 quoted to repair a car window. I strongly oppose it and urge neighbours to come to the meeting to find out that facts. Thanks
  • Context understood, but the solution is over the top and will ruin the park.
  • How much damage to houses, vehicles etc. has actually been caused since cricket has played there? If it's just one or two car windows (covered on insurance surely) then I'm absolutely opposed to a fence. A net would be better. I like watching the cricket and don't want to look at a giant eyesore of a fence in the park.
  • I have a prior appointment, but I will raise this with the Conservation Area Advisory Committee tonight and see whether they can advise.<br><br>Wray Crecent comes under Tollington Park Conservation Area.  There may be something in the guidance that will assist in your campaign: http://www.islington.gov.uk/Environment/Planning/planninginisl/plan_conserve/documents_and_guidance/conservation_area_guidance/ca25_tollington_park.asp<br>;
  • A hammer to crack a nut. Dumb.<div><br></div><div>Something must be done!</div><div><br></div><div>This is something!</div><div><br></div><div>Therefore it must be done!</div>
  • Thank you Arkady, I'll have a read through. To put it into context, the fence will be as high as the railway bridge at Finsbury park station. The fence will cost an estimated £40,000 - which is absolutely disgraceful during this time of deep cuts in public services.
  • Agreed. I need to work so can't go but my brother in law who lives nearby is expecting to go. Chang.
  • My reading is that it is netting, not a fence. Why do people think it is a fence? It seems to be exactly what was expected to enclose parts of the grounds. It is also in the lines of the trees, so probably won't be that visible and is no more than one would expect around a sports area. <br><br>"We are proposing netted cricket ball stop fence consisting of self coloured steel RHS set in concrete foundations at approx 10m centres. All steels finished in green Hammerite weatherproof protective paint. Galvanised line wire tensioned horizontally between uprights at regular intervals."<br><br>They even have pictures: https://www.islington.gov.uk/onlineplanning/docserver/applications/2011/09Sep/P112292/Fence Specification.pdf <br><br>Of course the two problems here is someone complaining that they bought a house next to a cricket pitch and an over-eager health and safety assessment. I'd rather there was an insurance solution, but hey ho. <br><br>
  • Hi All <div><br></div><div>Here's the fence spec:</div><div><br></div><div><div>"The <b>fencing</b> is as follows for <b>10m high</b>:</div><div><br></div><div>Steel RHS posts: 100x100x4mm x 10m long</div><div>Steel H section: 152x152x30 x 5.5m with 1.5m below ground level</div><div>Post spacing: 10m centres</div><div>Horizontal Wires: 5mm steel tension wires; spacing 2m centre</div><div>Netting: HDPE 50mm knotted netting</div><div>Foundations: augered 900m in diameter x 1.5m deep"</div></div><div><br></div><div>FYI - the manufacturers refer to the 'net' as a fence and the photo also implies that it is a fence. </div><div><br></div><div>If you go to Alexandra Palace (Newlands Fields) or Highgate Woods, you will NOT find a fence around the cricket pitches. Someone at the council has briefed a sporting structures company who have proposed a high spec solution more in-keeping with a large full-time sports field - which of course Wray Crescent is not.</div><div><br></div><div>Please attend the meeting.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks</div><div><br></div><div>R</div>
  • edited January 2012
    <p>Ian, you're quite right.</p><p>And you know it will be someone who's saying 'Oh, the house is lovely - it's right next door to a park and we can watch them playing cricket from the window'. They then proceed to complain about the cricket and make sure that it's more difficult for others to enjoy it.</p><p>It's like my bugbear - people who choose to live next door to a pub or bar and then whine non-stop about the noise.</p>
  • IanIan
    edited January 2012
    @rice it is a fence in the sense that you have to string a net between posts, I think most people would imagine a "fence" to be solid. The important bits in your post are<br><br>"Horizontal Wires: 5mm steel tension wires; spacing 2m centre<div>Netting: HDPE 50mm knotted netting"<br><br></div>That says "net" to me, but I guess people can make their own minds up about what the net looks like from the photo. It is also not fully round the whole pitch, it is in several sections to protect the houses and my reading of the plans have the netting in front of the line of trees, which are taller than it, so I also suspect it will be not very visible at all from the houses. <br>
  • @Ian, thank you.<div><br></div><div>Firstly, Wray Crescent is a park for the community. I think it's great that people play cricket there, but this is not an everyday / all year round activity, therefore does not warrant a 10m high structure to protect private property from flying balls.</div><div><br></div><div>The cost is estimated at £40k - is this a good use of money when there are only 12 fixtures published for this year? </div><div><br></div><div>The space is for everyone to enjoy, this includes not spoiling the beautiful vista.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • For £3,333 per game, I will happily play in the deep outfield (outside the boundary in front of the relevant houses) 12 times next year. In fact, I will do it for £1,000 per game and that gets you 3 years of cover. Bargain.
  • edited January 2012
    <div><br></div><br><div><br></div>
  • Actually, me too.<div><br></div>
  • 40k that will last many many years to keep a park in use for its historic purpose. I'm OK with that. As long as I also get wheelie bins (see council gripes passim).
  • <p>For info my understanding on number of games played is -</p><p>Pacific CC (my club) play about 12 times a year.</p><p>Last Man Stands run 20 to 30 games a year.</p><p>Other midweek adult cricket is about 10 games a year.</p><p>Junior cricket (where risk is utterly negligible)  - number of matches varies but can be up to about fifty.</p>
  • what was the result of the meeting please? chang
  • <p class="p1">Some quick feedback from the Wray Crescent meeting last night - there were about 40 members of the public at the meeting and everyone (apart from 2-4 cricketers) opposed the nets. </p><p class="p1">It seems that the problem with high-flying balls is from the adult teams, so we discussed the possibility of limiting play to junior teams only. It would be a shame to loose the cricket, but it seems like the space is not big enough for adult cricket.</p><p class="p1">I'll update if I hear any more info.</p>
  • But 211 people signed the petition to keep cricket going. It's complicated. 
  • You can be pro cricket and anti massive nets. It's not complicated at all.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Double yellow lines in the danger zone that will remove the  carss from Risk, or parking restrictions of some sorts on match days - It happens for football
  • @andy  - fair enough. But I haven't heard anyone say that there's an alternative to the massive nets that would still allow cricket to be played.