Be aware - burglary on Thorpedale Road

edited December 2011 in Local discussion
On 23 December, at around 4am, someone broke into our house, while we were asleep upstairs. They stole, amongst other things, my iPhone, SLR 450D Canon camera, our two Macbook laptops and my external hard drives which contained ALL my photos from the last eight years. I am really upset about losing all the photos of my children. My laptop and hard drives were in a black laptop rucksack with 'brand-inc' on the outside. The police thought the bag would probably be discarded. If you find it, please hand it in to the police. And please be vigilant, don't leave any valuables downstairs, I'd hate for it to happen to anyone else.

Comments

• Hi cathampshire, Really sorry to hear your news. Im hoping you have some photos uploaded to a website of some sorts, just so you haven't lost everything. We have the same set-up, so perhaps will put our hard-drives somewhere random like a bathroom cabinet. I couldn't face losing everything. Just on the break-in. Thorpedale is terraced, so are you mind-terrace or end-terrace and did they come in through the front or the back? I tend not to worry too much about break-ins because im an upper maisonette in a mid-terrace........you'll have to be pretty determined to get inside! but if thats happened to you, then i'll be a bit more cautious. Again, sorry to hear your news, it must have been a terrible shock.
  • <p>Hello</p><p>Sorry to hear about this. We live in the ground floor of an old Victorian conversion and when I first moved in I worried abour burglaries all the time - even though the only gadget that I have is a laptop that Noah would have turned down for not being hi-tech enough.</p><p>I am paranoid about photos getting lost in the ether so I print a lot of my pictures, plus it's quite nice to have albums to look through.</p>
  • Sorry to hear that Cathampshire.<div><br></div><div>I also recently suffered from a theft that resulted in me losing some precious photos ... although fortunately for me only a handful, not the the lot.<br><div><br></div><div>Your loss has prompted me to write up some info about <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/3444/back-up-your-digital-photos-and-important-files">backing up important information on this thread here</a></div></div><div><br></div><div>Hopefully useful for people :)</div>
  • edited December 2011
    <P>edited</P>
  • <em>If you think you may be burgled again it can be useful to leave a couple of defuct laptops hanging around the ground floor. Gives them something to take away without costing you. Worked for a friend of mine.</em>
  • Or possibly a fuct laptop, taff?
  • We live in an end terrace house. They got in through the front sash window.
  • I do have some albums on Facebook which is great, and some others on remote servers. I keep reminding myself that the main thing is that my family and I are all ok.
  • edited December 2017
  • <p>They got in somehow without breaking the window. We have new side locks now.
  • edited January 2012
    My neighbour was burgled twice before Christmas.  The first time she just thought she'd mis-placed her laptop.   The second time they took all the presents around her Christmas tree.  They got in by putting a tool through the letter box and opening the door.