Windows/carpenter

edited January 2012 in About this site
The devil in me wants to replace the shabby Victorian sash with PVC Victorian style windows.  However I just cant bring myself to do that even though I cant afford the wooden replacements.  Had a window  replaced at the back with wooden sash and it costs more than had I had all the windows done in pvc.  There must be a third way.  Can anyone recommend a carpenter or company who repairs and renovates sash windows?  Thanks as always for your suggestions

Comments

• We're having them done as we speak. We went for wood, but can understand why PVC appeals. More often than not you don't actually need the whole lot replacing, just the bits that are rotten/knackered. So, first job is to get someone to tell you whether its the entire box thats knacked or just the sashes. Keeping the existing box is good news for various reasons, and will save you £500. Replacing just the sashes would be around £700. They can draft proof and make good most old wood anyway. Im guessing PVC is half that cost. The question is whether you want the window to be just functional or whether you want it to be a design feature of the house. I bit the bullet and went with wood because i couldn't see myself buying a house with fake plastic sashes. It wasn't in my budget, but i knew that i'd hate myself everytime i looked at them if they were plastic. But, if you're not bothered and just want knackered old windows replaced PVC will do the job! I won't recommend my guys, we'll get there in the end but im not happy enough to recommend them. Other companies that quoted were Small Restorations on Blackstock rd and Acorn near Green Lanes
  • I can recommend the guys who are in the arches under the railway bridges right next to Finsbury Park. It's called The Joinery Shop.<div><br></div><div>They built and installed wood double-glazed sash windows, french doors and a complete new staircase a few years ago when we restored our house.</div><div><br></div><div>We've also used Small Restorations for minor work, and they seemed really helpful. Haven't experienced their full window service, but I think my friend used them for replacement windows.</div><div><br></div><div>It's well worth wood over PVC if you can push a bit more on the budget. PVC is evil, and in the long term much harder to look after.</div><div><br></div>
  • <div><br></div>Replacement:  Stroud Green Windows on S.G. Rd.<div>They can do a whole window for £600.</div><div><br></div><div>http://angelsashwindows.co.uk/ for repair and renovation</div><div><br></div><div>Its also a satisfying DIY job, once the weather is warmer - time consuming but can be done in stages</div><div>theres loads of how-to guides online if you poke around</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Thanks for that, I suppose deep down I knew I would never go with PVC just wanted like minded people to persuade me to go for wood!!  Will try both contacts. 
  • <P>hew22, will be interested to hear how you get on - some or our wooden sashes are pretty dodgy and very draughty! </P> <P>Not that I want to, but would switching to PVC windows even be allowed, given that SG is a conservation area?</P>
  • Haringey choose not to implement some of the recommended guidance, so single-occupancy houses are allowed to use PVC. This is something we should seek to remedy.
  • AliAli
    edited January 2012
    Have you seen the PVC windows doors etc on the new property that has beeen built in Woodstock Road between Perth and Oxford Road on the site of the old Greek Pita bread bakery.  It looks outstandingly bad, out of character and rather like a Wickes show rom display how did it ever get allowed ?
  • I keep meaning to ask about that one.  I don't mind the building itself too much, but the doors and windows are gobsmackingly awful.  And don't even talk to me about the join between the new and old walls.<br><br>I think it got planning before the CAAC even existed.<br>
  • CAAC? Council for the Abolition of Architectural C**p?
  • Conservation Area Advisory Committee.<br><br>Stroud Green CAAC's first AGM is at the end of Feb, publicity to follow.  There will be wine.<br>
  • I must say those doors and windows send me in a rant every time I go past. Would it have been so much more expensive to match the door and window finish of the work unit next door?