Best/Worst Road in SG?

edited January 2012 in About this site
<P>I heard two kids talking about this and it would be interesting to hear views, and reasons. </P> <P> </P> <P>Of course some roads are bad for one reason but actually quite OK otherwise, so it can't be exact. For example Lorne Road is quite nice in many ways (buildings etc) but there is the hygene problem and persistent sewage smell which drives us mad.I would say Wray Cres in the best (although some of the houses are in need of a bit of care) and  the worst, well I'm going to have to nominate Lorne Road for the the above reason (sorry! and i live there!!).</P> <P> </P> <P>Next?</P> <P> </P> <P>chang</P>

Comments

• Rock street is a confident bid for The Worst.
  • Mount View. I agree about Lorne. Rock St is not SG. Wray Crescent isn't really either.<br>
  • <p>Mount View is pretty. There's a little mews or something that runs off the end of Mount Pleasant Crescent that's nice. </p><p>Rock Street is most definitely not SG, it's Finsbury Park - nothing south of Seven Sisters Rd can be SG.</p>
  • I reckon WC is in Greater SG..
  • Ok, let's be purists then. Rock st is not Finsbury Park either, FP is an area of Hackney to the east of Blackstock rd. Rock st is a carbuncle of Highbury West. <div><br></div><div>Seconded <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; text-align: left; ">Mount View. </span></div>
  • Indeed, if we're being really purist then Rock Street is Highbury, but then I'm from the 'Finsbury Park is just a park' school.<br><br>@Mirandola - I'll tell you why I'm hesitant about that.  It's an issue that is likely to be brought into sharp relief due to the Localism and Decentralisation Act, as Neighbourhood Forums get off the ground.  I'm all for a 'Greater Stroud Green' concept, but in trying to determine a western boundary that resolves the neglect of Stroud Green Road (by including some of the Islington side) I don't want to create the same problem for Hornsey Rd, i.e. robbing it of a hinterland of 'Tollington' people who may actually use the road as their high street.<br><br>So the boundary ought to be somewhere between the two roads.  On the other hand, in doing that you divide Tollington Park Conservation Area in two.  There are no easy answers.  But given that Neighbourhood Forums will determine planning policy and put those polices to a local referendum, an answer will have to be found sooner of later.<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • <span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">@Arkady - "But given that Neighbourhood Forums will determine planning policy and put those polices to a local referendum, an answer will have to be found sooner of later."</span><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><br></span></div><div style="text-align: left;"><font face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 20px;">I'm not sure neighbourhood plans will have anything like that level of influence. Neighbourhood Plans have to fall in line with the previously adopted policy. So for example the Islington Core Strategy will be the main document against which the NP will need to be tested against, and will not be adopted unless they conform with existing policy. </span></font></div><div style="text-align: left;"><font face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 20px;"><br></span></font></div><div style="text-align: left;"><font face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 20px;">I personally dont see a lot of value in NP's, especially when they cannot be explicit and say "no housing/retail/etc is allowed to be brought forward within the plan area". My understanding is that they have no such power. Where I do seem them contribute is like mini-area action plans, putting a bit more weight on quality design/streetscape etc. I'm also highly cynical that NP will actually take off at all. I dont think there's been any precise information to date as to how the referendum will work, how and who tests the validity of the NPs and where they'll fall in the hierarchy of the planning system. </span></font></div><div style="text-align: left;"><font face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 20px;"><br></span></font></div><div style="text-align: left;"><font face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 20px;">To get back on topic (sorry!), I like Regina Road & Florence Road. MP Crescent is very nicely looked after. Is Mount View in SG?  More sort of Crouch Hill surely? *runs away*.</span></font></div>
  • I'll second Regina Road - nice friendly atmos.
  • I'd say Regina Road, obviously, and you are right about friendly - it's just short enough for people to start to know each other and say hello. These small things make living in London more human. <br>
  • edited January 2012
    @ActionVerb - You may be right.  It remains to be seen.  The coalition have axed thousands of pages of guidance and replaced it with this Act, and are actively refusing to issue further guidance - it is for local areas to establish NPs and test the boundaries of the Act.  The referendums will be some way off yet even for early adopters.  There is some suggestion that the Electoral Reform Society will be paid to do them.  There are several stages to validity testing of the NPs, including initial borough acceptance in principal and external auditing. We received some government-funded consultancy advice last week and it was fascinating.<br><br>Agree that 'determine policy' was a bit strong, but they will have considerable power - and legitimacy - to shape the specifics and direct development funding. And they can make statements of principle which gain legal weight, including over issues such as conservation.<br>
  • <P>i went to rock street with my mother in law on way to shops. the arsenal cafe there was good.plenty of busses too and friendly arab types bantering.  when i was in the cafe some guy propositioned her! so its lively, even if its the worst street.</P> <P> </P> <P>chang</P> <P> </P> <P> </P>
  • I quite like Rock Street too. 
  • Maybe, elderly ladies are pleased with sticky arabs' attention, but if you are not in such type of entertainment, there is nothing on the Rock st more than dirt, ruins of tiny gardens and general ugliness. <div><br></div><div>Chang, just for the sake curiosity, to which shops were you going? What can be found on Blackstock rd, which is not present on SG? Fish and Cook? Sylvanian Families? Wools and crafts? Vintage cafe-shop? </div>
  • edited January 2012
    <div>There was this on Rock Street: <a href="http://transitionfinsburypark.org.uk/node/675">http://transitionfinsburypark.org.uk/node/675</a></div><div><br></div><div>@janez. Look, I don't know you and it's really easy to misunderstand what someone's trying to say over t'internet and goodness knows I can be tactless at times, but, well, are you quite sure that you're completely happy with how you put things in that latest post? </div>
  • edited December 2017
  • edited January 2012
    Mirandola, I have no doubts that the other streets nominated for the "ugliest" award are homes for lovely people with interesting hobbies. But the streets look as they look and they smell as they smell.<div><br></div><div>Although, Rock street gets pretty nice during Muslim holidays, when it is busy and full of celebrating folks in their best and very different cloths, which distract attention from the street itself.<br><div><br></div><div>Joe, so this <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/3312/sex-harassment-cafe-shut-by-police.in-blackstock-rd./p1">http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/3312/sex-harassment-cafe-shut-by-police.in-blackstock-rd./p1</a> was also a racist attack on some friendly loiters? </div></div>
  • edited December 2017
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There's a huge and beautiful church less than a minute's walk off Mount View Rd (on Wormesley) and I'd never noticed that until last week.
  • <P>i believe it is a catholic church. the nearest c of e one i think is on granville road, then there's the baptist one on stapleton hall and a methodist one in holly park estate. And st mellitus (rc). that's all i've spotted, but not bad going. more churches than pubs: is SG a god fearing area?</P> <P>mount pleasant villas is by far the most attractive street </P>
  • There's the one opposite St Mel's (name escapes) too. I hear the church bells from my garden.
  • @SBW: the lower half of Mount Pleasant Villas is gorgeous, the upper half not so much, it has some horrible buildings on it.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We parishioners just stick to calling it St Peter's! My favourite street has to be Mount View and joint second are Mount Pleasant Crescent and Japan Crescent. Makes a nice route to the train every morning and of course there is the elephant.
  • I like Mount Pleasant Villas as it's home - but have to vote for Mount Pleasant Crescent and the famous elephant.
  • <P>so the mounts have it...  </P> <P>Arkady: granted</P>
  • <P>St Peter's is a lovely church.  My nieces go to the school there, so I've been there a few times for their baptisms, first holy communions, etc.  I think all the surrounding roads are nice too.   </P> <P>My favourite road I think is Japan Crescent.</P>
  • Japan Crescent is right out the back of my flat but I don't rate it. Feels hemmed in with parking spaces and the houses aren't as grand as some others nearby. <div>Best? There are two dead-end streets that run off Mount Pleasant Villas, either side of the railway. One is called The Grove. The other is an extension of Mount Pleasant Crescent. I dream of living there - it's a no thru road! BLISS compared to my current abode.</div><div><br></div>
  • I would add Carlisle Road.  I'll bet nobody knows where that is.  (Off Scarborough).  It's a bit like the Grove or the Mount Pleasant Crescent cul-de-sac, but only got four or five houses in it so it's a very, very cosy little backwater.  Not as architecturally distinguished, but quite eccentric and the houses have a raher cottagy feel.  (Apart from the one with cladding.)  Only trouble is the railway mainline opposite - but the other streets back on to a railway too.  Smashing. Lived there for five years and it was the best flat I ever had, sorry to leave.