The Bull, Highgate

124»

Comments

• No, it's just the one of the nearest pubs to the University site where Crick and Watson worked - so was (and still is) a natural place for people working on that site to go out for a beer after work<br>
  • They discovered the double helix structure at the Cavendish lab, which is very near the Eagle, around lunchtime and Crick raced to the pub to announce the discovery to his colleagues. Who were no doubt enjoying a nice ale.<br>
  • The Cavendish lab <b>was</b> very near to the Eagle.  (It moved out to the West Cambridge site in the 70's.)<br>
  • @Roy the building near the Eagle continued to be called the Cavendish Labs but was used by other departments.
  • The Department of Physics took the name of their lab with them when they moved, and are now in the <i>Cavendish Laboratory</i> on the West Cambridge Site out on Madingley Road.  Their old buildings on the New Museums Site are known as the <i>Old Cavendish</i>, I believe.<br>
  • Oh, well when I was there and working in the building 89-90 it was definitely known as the Cavendish Labs. But then again my department didn't have a lot to do with physics so we may just have been too lazy to add the "old".or to care that there was a new one elsewhere.
  • Hmm, well when I was a physics student only a year or two earlier that that we definitely called <i>our</i> lab the <i>Cavendish</i>.  Obviously there's some competition for the prestigious name :-) <br>
  • Well, I visited the Bull for the first time on Friday and very nice it is too.  Even had decent American beer on tap!<br>