Il Piccolo Diavolo

edited January 2012 in Reviews
Just wanted to make a note about this new place. If you are local to the area (like me!) then it's well worth popping in and trying this cafe/restaurant like we did. We had great pizza and the staff were so friendly. Another thing was it was a good place to remember to take the kids: food is the kind they would like too and the place feels welcoming to families which I can't say about everywhere!

Comments

• It's a shame about this cod-spontaneous paid-for advertising drivel (see post one above), since the place is not really too bad and I quite liked it.  But this kind of obviously put-up pap just makes me not want to go.
  • Agreed.  In fact I was going to take the missus there for dinner on Friday, but was a bit put-out by the garbage on the previous thread.  Then I heard about The Bull, and my mind was made up.<br><br>Il Piccolo - pack it in.  We're not stupid, and you're harming your business.<br>
  • I believe misscara is working at the Bull on Friday, so should be a good night to visit.<br>
  • I know she is, she booked me in!<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • misscara is an active member of the forum who contributes to many discussions and lives in the area. She just happens to have got a job at the Bull and told us about it. She hasn't joined up with the express reason of pimping her business. So, yes, we are cool with it.<br>
  • Even aside from the fact that Misscara was essentially invited to tell us, the difference is honesty Joe.<br>
  • It's why Ash of Fruit&Veg and the people at Seasons and Vagabond got a good response - because they came on here saying who they were. And because they're running good businesses. 
  • <span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(136, 136, 136); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><div id="gt-res-wrap" style="border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); border-right-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); border-bottom-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); border-left-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; "><div id="gt-res-content" class="almost_half_cell"><div dir="ltr" style="zoom: 1; "><span id="result_box" class="" lang="en" style="font-size: 16px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); padding-top: 8px; padding-right: 8px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 8px; min-height: 93px; display: block; "><span class="hps">Perhaps</span> <span class="hps">some of the comments</span> <span class="hps">that were made</span> <span class="hps">about</span> Il piccolo diavolo, I have to agree with You, <span class="hps">were</span> <span class="hps">exaggerated and</span> <span class="hps">may be</span> <span class="hps">biased</span> <span class="hps">and perhaps</span> <span class="hps">have really been</span> <span class="hps">made</span> <span class="hps">​​by our </span><span class="hps">customers or customer/friends</span> <span class="hps">with the intention of</span> <span class="hps">wanting</span> <span class="hps">to help</span> <span class="hps">us, but</span> <span class="hps">I want to say</span> <span class="hps">that it was </span><span class="hps">absolutely   <b>NOT  </b></span> <span class="hps">our intention</span> <span class="hps">divert mislead or</span> <span class="hps">try to get</span> <span class="hps">publicity</span> <span class="hps">'infiltration</span> <span class="hps">in your blog</span><span class="">.</span> </span><span id="result_box" class="" lang="en" style="font-size: 16px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); padding-top: 8px; padding-right: 8px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 8px; min-height: 93px; display: block; "><span class="hps">My nickname is</span><span>'</span> <span class="hps">Slainte</span><span>, and</span> <span class="hps">I introduced myself</span> <span class="hps">as a manager</span> <span class="hps">of the place</span> <span class="hps">since the presentation</span><span>.</span></span><h1><span id="result_box" class="" lang="en" style="font-size: 16px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); padding-top: 8px; padding-right: 8px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 8px; min-height: 93px; display: block; "> <span class="hps">Always</span> <span class="hps">at your disposal for</span> <span class="hps">any clarification</span> <span class="hps">that You may Have.</span></span><span id="result_box" class="" lang="en" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); padding-top: 8px; padding-right: 8px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 8px; min-height: 93px; display: block; "><span class="hps"><font class="Apple-style-span" size="5">Buona</font></span><font class="Apple-style-span" size="3"> serata a tutti.</font></span></h1><div><span class="hps"><br></span></div></div></div><div id="gt-res-tools" style="overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; margin-top: -7px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 4px; padding-bottom: 4px; padding-left: 4px; height: 26px; "><div id="gt-src-tools-l" style="float: left; "></div><div id="gt-res-tools-r" style="float: right; "><div id="gt-res-rate" aria-label="Rate translation" data-tooltip="Rate translation" data-tooltip-align="t,c" style="float: left; "><div class="goog-inline-block goog-toolbar-menu-button" title="" role="button" tabindex="0" aria-haspopup="true" style="position: relative; display: inline-block; border-top-left-radius: 2px 2px; border-top-right-radius: 2px 2px; border-bottom-right-radius: 2px 2px; border-bottom-left-radius: 2px 2px; -webkit-user-select: none; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; border-top-color: transparent; border-right-color: transparent; border-bottom-color: transparent; border-left-color: transparent; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; height: 24px; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 24px; list-style-type: none; list-style-position: initial; list-style-image: initial; font-size: 11px; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: middle; cursor: default; background-position: 0px 50%; background-repeat: initial initial; "><div class="goog-inline-block goog-toolbar-menu-button-outer-box" style="position: relative; display: inline-block; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><div class="goog-inline-block goog-toolbar-menu-button-inner-box" style="position: relative; display: inline-block; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; vertical-align: top; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 2px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 2px; "><div class="goog-inline-block goog-toolbar-menu-button-caption" style="position: relative; display: inline-block; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><span class="goog-flat-menu-button-img gt-rate-icon jfk-button-img" style="width: 21px; height: 21px; display: inline-block; background-image: url(http://www.gstatic.com/translate/buttons6.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; opacity: 0.667; margin-top: -3px; vertical-align: middle; background-position: -94px -3px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; "></span></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></span>
  • Today had a very nice burger, salad and fries, and a decent slab of walnut and coffee cake ...
  • *****Genuine Review Alert*******Genuine Review Alert**********<div><br></div><div>Went there last night. Believe the hype, the food is fantastic. We're having our kitchen re-done, so for 2 weeks we're eating out every day and as a consequence venturing to places we might have overlooked before.</div><div><br></div><div>For starters we had "Suppli di Riso" or deep fried beef ragu rice balls at £1.50 and "Bruschetta made in Sud", Rocket, buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomato, olives, parmasan cheese and pesto at £5.50. The rice balls were good, but the freshness of all the ingredients in the bruschetta together with olive oil made in incredible. Best ive had in a long time.</div><div><br></div><div>For mains, i had Milanese at £12.80, which surprisingly came with bolognese rather than pomodoro on the spaghetti. Not that i cared, it was excellent. The bolognese had obviously been cooked for hours and the chicken escalope was crisp but succulent. Other dish was Pizza Bufalina at £9.80. Buffalo Mozzarella, Parma Ham, Rocket, and cherry tomatoes. Best i've had in a long time too, and i'm a regular at Papagone which is best in class! The difference with this is that most of the items go on fresh rather than baked. 50% of the cheese is just placed on the top, and when its the super soft delcious mozzarella you wonder why others don't do that. The base was soft and crispy at the same time. </div><div><br></div><div>The decor's a bit odd, in that its a nice space but its filled with rather random modern chairs and tables, and there's a chandelier thrown in for good measure, but its not a big deal really. You also get a mix of Michael Buble and the Italian soft rock top 10 on the stereo.....kind of like that though.</div><div><br></div><div>Give the guys a chance and have a look in. I think you'll be genuinely surprised by the quality and the freshness. I think they'll find it hard with the stiff local competition, but they only have a few tables and it won't take much to keep them full. We will return.</div>
  • edited January 2012
    <P>I'm sure you're right about the food @Brodiej.     I think the problem @slainte (and he is a genuinekly nice guy) might experience is that the ambience is more of a cafe than a trattoria or restaurant.    People will go in for a coffee but not expect to eat well.  (It is in fact quite Italian in a way - all it needs is a TV set on in the corner).</P> <P>Not quite sure what to suggest - more dark wood tables (or glass), some circular, darker-coloured walls, some fabric.....?  A different style that just says 'more than just a caff'.   Compare with Season (also good food, at silly prices) or BBM (just different somehow - food on display).  Quite an expensive refit perhaps?  I do think Londoners expecting to eat well also have certain expectations and preconceptions about their surroundings.</P>
  • I'm no expert but I'd be tempted to turn the overhead light down a bit of an evening to make it less bright and more cosy. Good luck to them, especially if the food is as good as suggested.
  • edited January 2012
    I've just realised what the dining room reminds me of... <a href="http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Is_Sweet_(film)" target="qwerty"><i>The Regret Rien</i></a>. The food is much better, of course. I've been twice now and I'll definitely be going back.
  • Lighting = good thinking.   Yes, good luck to them.
  • @krappyrubsnif. Yeah, i know what you mean. When you look at the front of the place, the Italian menu is a second thought behind English cafe offers like breakfast etc. Its perfectly understandable to do this as you're more likely to sell English fare at breakfast/lunch than a full on Italian meal, but it lowers the expectations overall. Focus on being an Italian restaurant first, a cafe second. If the coffee is good, then they could promote authentic Italian coffee with biscotti or pastries? That would be a USP for SG. I think they just need to develop some warmth. I'd introduce table cloths for a start in a bid to add some texture and to bring some uniformity to all the furniture. Maybe some photos from home or of the family might be nice too. @Slainte. What do you reckon?
  • Had two simple but great pizzas there tonight. Plus the boss was very sweet and welcoming. Personally the refurb at La Porcetta leaves me totally cold, like some home counties hotel idea of class, all chrome and steel in a it-aint-broke-so-lets-fix-it-anyway; and Papagone seems too hectic, like eating on a tube train in rush hour. So good people of the Crouch - let's get behind this good new place (amazing value at 2 for 1 eat in pizzas + pastas) and as boogaloo king Bobby Valentin would say - use it before you lose it!<br><br><a href="">
  • I'd go red and white checked table cloths, dim lights and the old straw wine bottles with a candle in on the tables.<br><br>Proper stereotypical old school Italian - which people actually quite liked.<br><br>It's a look that's prime for revival, that's what I'd have done at La Porchetta (which I still love)<br><br>@Lemmy, I agree the La Porchetta refurb has been a bit generic, but I'm not sure it fell into the it-ain't-broke-so-lets-fix-it-anyway pile, in light of the plaster and paint falling off the walls and those two bare breeze block doorways<br>
  • <span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); "><span class="hps">First of all</span> <span class="hps">I would like</span> <span class="hps">to thank all the</span> <span class="hps">bloggers</span> <span class="hps">who are writing</span> <span class="hps">about</span> Il piccolo diavolo,</span><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); "><span class="hps">it's always nice</span> <span class="hps">to</span><span class="hps"> see</span>  that <span class="hps">what</span> <span class="hps">you are trying to</span> <span class="hps">do, especially</span> <span class="hps">in the catering,</span><span class="hps"> </span><span class="hps">receives</span> appreciation<span>,...</span></span><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); "><span> where also</span> <span class="hps">a right and</span> <span class="hps">constructive </span><span class="hps">criticism is always</span><span class=""> more</span> <span class="hps">than welcome</span><span>.</span><br><span class="hps">Concerning all</span> <span class="hps">the possible</span> <span class="hps">improvements and change</span> <span class="hps">that</span> <span class="hps">have been suggested</span><span>, well,</span> <span class="hps">we are also</span> <span class="hps">thinking about this,</span> <span class="hps">however,</span> <span class="hps">we think that</span> <span class="hps">all these changes</span> <span class="hps">take</span> <span class="hps">a little</span> <span class="hps">time</span><span>,</span> <span class="hps">to define</span> <span class="hps">and why not</span> <span class="hps">also satisfy</span> <span class="hps">all the</span> <span class="hps">preferences</span> <span class="hps">that our</span> <span class="hps">customers will want to propose or suggest</span> .<br><span class="hps">Meanwhile,</span> <span class="hps">last but not least</span> <span class="hps">we hope</span> <span class="hps">that You continue to</span> <span class="hps">enjoy</span> <span class="hps">our food</span> <span class="hps">and</span> <span class="hps">our hospitality</span><br><br>A presto<br><br>Ciao Ciao<br><br><span class="hps">Ps :</span> <span class="hps">we</span> have <span class="hps">also opened a</span> <span class="hps">blog@   ilpiccolodiavolo.wordpress.com</span><br><span class="hps">still</span> <span class="hps">under construction</span> <span class="hps">but, it is already possible to see</span> <span class="hps">some</span><span class="hps"> restaurant picture and </span><span>evening</span> <span class="hps">menu</span> to <span class="hps">download.</span></span></div></div>
  • <P>Hi there,we are now showing live italian football, in case You are interested .</P> <P> As usual You are more than welcome to join us at the week end or in the mid week , to watch</P> <P> the serie A   fixture. </P> <P>Will  be offering a complimentary glass of house wine or a bottle of beer to all stroud green bloggers.</P> <P>Ciao a presto</P>
  • Had a really good meal here last week. Awsome starters and pizzas were a step above papagone or la porcetta. Staff were friendly, helpful and seemed to have a genuine passion for Italian cooking. My only disappointment was the distracting music and TV ... Just didn't feel appropriate for an evening meal, even if they're trying to create an informal atmosphere.
  • the tv is a real no no for me
  • edited March 2012
    Went there last night with my boyfriend as we couldn't be bothered to cook. The pasta dishes were outstanding. I had one of the specials - big bits of ravaoli filled with butternut squash. I am a devotee of Papagone's but I sometimes thunk the ingredients taste rather processed. The food last night tasted really fresh and they grated the Parmesan from a big block. The atmosphere in the restaurant was great as well with dimmed lights, tablecloths and candles. We loved it. Will definitely go back.
  • Hey, we just had breakfast at your restaurant, it's a lovely atmosphere with very friendly staff, however I thought I should give you some tips- as I want you to do well! <div><br></div><div>It's not easy saying this, but we felt the food needed more flavour. My salad came with no dressing, a sprinkle of vinegar and lemon juice would have made it feel more like a salad and less like a garnish. </div><div><br></div><div>Perhaps if you came up with some better salad options (more interesting flavours, less sandwich filling like) you could do special offers, like choose 3-4 salads take away for £4, or something along those lines for summer. Price labels for salads, sandwiches & cakes on the window would be really helpful, often people panic when they can't immediately see a price & just keep walking. </div><div><br></div><div>This of course is only my opinion and I'm only suggesting this because I want you to stay and I feel a little more detail is all that is really needed. The restaurant itself is lovely, staff super friendly.... so I would just focus on creating better dishes- it doesn't have to be expensive. </div><div><br></div><div>See you again soon. X</div>
  • Salad for breakfast?
  • we go here a lot and really like the food. think the cooking is better than at the other Italian places in Stroud Green, like the friendly staff too! Good place for hungover breakfast on Sundays!!<br>
  • We returned once again last night. I can confirm that it was full! A great sight to see a business do well purely because the food is outstanding...just took a little while for everyone to hear the news.<div><br></div><div>We had arancini (rice balls) and mozzarella, tomato and avocado salad. Lovely and fresh. Then we had Pizza Buffalina (which we think is the best on both stroud green road and now crouch hill) and homemade ravioli with tomato and basil. Half a litre of house wine, £36.</div><div><br></div><div>The tv is there but its turned off. I noticed that they've introduced a big sandwich menu for lunchtime with both English and Italian variations. If the main food is anything to go by, the sandwiches will be incredible. Pop by and give them a try. </div>
  • Is it open on Mondays?<br>