Burglary on Florence Road

edited February 2012 in About this site
Hi, we had a burglary in the house today, i'm still cleaning but it appears they were after jewellery. It happened at some point during the day. Has anyone seen anything suspicious? Please make sure you lock your houses, watch your valuables, etc

Comments

• Hope you have been insured. Both of our burglaries were excellent opportunities to upgrade cameras and laptops for free. 
  • Sorry to hear that, @Margolada, method of entry?  At the back off Parkland Walk?
  • @janez - well, not exactly for free. The insurance company paid for them. 
  • seems they went through front door, knew how to deal with the locks, and they were not interested in laptops or any other electronic stuff, just jewellery.
  • @dion You meant we already paid them through insurance premium? So, is was a form of gambling win then. 
  • dion  I think it is the other  premium payers who pay for it
  • <p>I might be wrong here but admitting that "Both of our burglaries were excellent opportunities to upgrade cameras and laptops for free" on a site looked at and commented on by the police might not be the best cause of action, I dont really understand insurance but in my eyes its fraud I know most people do it but it does jack the price up.</p><p>Plus as my other half just said she would be too upset to think about getting upgrades. </p><p>There are some little twats out there and and I hope there caught I know its a slim chance but hope springs eternal. </p>
  • <P>@Detritus, Dion and Ali.  I wish there was a "like" button on this forum.  </P>
  • <div>Detritus, it is even worse than you think. At the latest burglary all the flats in the house were attempted. And what the inhabitants did after the police left? The bastards immediately organised a cheering up party. </div><div><br></div><div>However, if you want to depress the author more, you can expand further on How Horrible It Is To Be Burglared. </div>
  • Last time i checked, insurance was there to cover the costs of replacing stolen or damaged items. In the world of electronics, if you replace something 2 years old, you're going to get something better than you originally bought because items get better and cheaper. It's ok to claim on insurance, its why you chuffing pay for it in the first place! Getting an accidental upgrade is the silver lining in a rather large cloud. @Margolada. Im sorry you were broken into. Its very strange that they would know to look just for jewelery. Have a think about all the touch points in your life where that type of knowledge could have been obtained.
  • @janez - i did mention in the first post that they were not interested in the laptops and electronic stuff, so luckily didnt have to wonder when did i last do the back up. the stuff that was taken had sentimental value and i would love to be able to have cheering up party - rum was left untouched haha!
  • Margolada: sorry to hear that.  I am on Florence Road too.<br><br>Detritus: Some cheap policies only pay market value, so on those if you have a 5-year-old laptop stolen they'll just pay out the secondhand value of a 5-year-old laptop.  But most decent insurance provides "new-for-old" cover for everything except clothing and bedlinen, for which a deduction is made for wear-and-tear (as an aside I've never understood why clothing and bedlinen have to be special - I mean how much can they cost compared to all the other stuff in a typical home?)<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.