Theft outside of charity shops

2»

Comments

• <p>This was quite interesting. Not all clothing banks are run by charities, councils make more money from leasing them out to private companies.</p><p><a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17024281">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17024281</a></p>;
  • <P>apparently stealing things from shops isn't always about being a dishonest person...</P> <P>from what i read about worrall thompson nicking cheese n wine apparently when women reach middle age and they feel sad because the  builders arent wolf whistling them so much anymore they feel they have lost something in life</P> <P>so to make up for the subconscious feeling of loss (loss of looks) they are told by their subconscious mind to get something back to make up for loss of looks</P> <P>so they nick things from the supermarket without consciously knowing why they are doing it...</P> <P>in worrall thompsons case he lost his businesses...maybe he was subconsciously trying to get something back by stealing things he did not need to steal to make up for feel bad factor of loosing his businesses...</P> <P>if a man was skint would it be wrong if he stole things from outside a charity shop to save money for his wife n kids? for me it would be wrong...but if someone was skint n had wife n kids u could imagine how they might feel like they would want to take something back if they were skint...not saying its right though...</P> <P>wen  women with money get nicked for shoplifting they say they dont even know why they are stealing</P> <P>strange how the mind works perhaps... although i dont like that people steal outside mind shop in sg rd...</P> <P>google "the psycology of shoplifters"</P> <P>just a thought</P> <P>carry on</P> <P> </P> <P>   </P>
  • <p>Well the only celebrity shoplifters I know of are Wozza, Richard Madeley and Winona Ryder (who was 30 when she did it) and Lindsay Lohan (20's). The shoplifters that I have had dealings with at various different workplaces have pretty much exclusively been men in their 40's/50's stealing to fund an assortment of addictions. Interestingly they all wear white Reeboks - it's something we look out for. You get the occasional child pocketing manga books but they nearly always lose their nerve near the doors and dump them on the floor somewhere. A very stern look and an 'are you ready to pay' does the trick.</p>
  • <P>as mind charity shop in sg rd is there to raise money for people whoose minds have gone on the wonk...perhaps they will understand the psycological reasons why some people steal...so maybe they will take a chilled out and philosophical attitude to thefts from outside their shop.especially as they put up a note in the shop window saying please dont leave donations outside the shop when the shop is closed...in the london riots the only shop chavved up pikey scummers didnt loot was a bookshop...and the yoot wear nikes... i know what you mean about people who wear white reebok classics though...well dodge...wouldn't trust em further than i could throw em...perhaps the ladies who lunch wearing the malano blahhhniks and jimmy choos that are raising (stealing) most from your shop though if you are on white reebok classic watch  .... i guess stealing to order wud be major problem...watch out for people wearing black coloured "the north face" waterproof jackets - dodge pot mcdougals they are "the north face wearing" crowd.... </P> <P> </P>
  • Once somebody left a trunk of books outside Mind on a Sunday.<div>I took the trunk and left the books as my partner was looking for one just like it for his new house.</div><div>As far as I'm concerned if you leave stuff out on the street outside a charity shop's opening hours when they specifically ask you to, then it's as good as leaving it outside my front door, therefore a free for all.</div><div><br></div><div>I don't feel in the slightest guilty - I am always buying stuff from that shop and I must give them a binliner of bloody good quality clothes at least four times a year.</div><div><br></div><div>Call me what you will.</div>
  • <P>barnesbq - if you click on your name in this thread you can see what you wrote on previous threads.you said you complained to the local police about homophobic verbal abuse that you experienced on sg rd.Now you boast about stealing from donations left outside MIND charity shop.So you are a thief.A thief is a dishonest person who cannot be relied on to tell the truth.So how can you expect the police to take your complaints about homophobic abuse as the truth if you are identifying yourself as a thief? Perhaps the logic of this will go over your head.</P> <P>Chang - stealing from outside a charity shop is a disgrace or a sign that someone is psycologically disturbed.Someone locally also told me they steal from outside MIND charity shop,I never forgot that and thought it was terrible and I made sure I told other people that they steal from outside MIND so that other people will know they are a thief. </P>
  • There's a clear distinction between "outside MIND" and "inside MIND". Stealing from inside MIND is wrong on so many levels. "Outside MIND" is in fact, simply taking something which has been discarded on a pavement. It does not belong to anyone and is therefore no different from, say, an umbrella left at a bus stop. It certainly does not constitute stealing. <br><br>Some perspective, please. <br>
  • <P>harpistic - i am afraid that is nonsense. if people leave donations of clothes etc outside MIND charity shop in sg rd their intention may not be that dishonest thieves like barnesbq take their donations home.Their intention will often be that they want their donations to be sold by MIND charity shop to raise money for people with psycological problems.Although some people might not mind if a thief takes their items from outside mind.The point is that you dont know what is in the mind of the people who leaves a donation outside MIND so you dont know if they mind if you take their donation or not so therefore dont insult people by stealing their donations to a charity.  </P> <P>So the items belong to the owner of the donated clothes until they are claimed by MIND charity shop.So it is morally wrong to take the items.</P> <P>If I leave an item in my front garden locally like some pot plants for a friend to collect and some random thief like barnesbq steals it and i see him stealing it he is going to get a metaphorical smack in the mouth from me. </P> <P>Something left at a bustop is stealing - if you take an umbrella left at bus stop it does not belong to you so its theft.</P> <P>The only time its not theft is if people leave their possessions on pavement with a note stuck on it saying that please take this furniture etc as we dont want  it</P>
  • <P>defintion of theft "to intend to permanently take and keep an item that does not belong to you"</P> <P>items outside MIND are not discarded as they are clearly left outside a shop that relies on selling items donated</P> <P>i wonder what the police would do if they saw people taking donated items from outside MIND in SG rd? give them a fine for theft? or an asbo banning them from the shop or the area around the shop due to suspicion of theft if they cant prove it is theft as items on pavement...</P> <P>giving barnesbq an asbo if he is seen taking items from outside MIND would be a good idea if it technically isnt theft</P> <P>we all know its wrong anyway unless you are a chavved up pikey scummer...</P> <P> </P>
  • @chrisn4 I have not taken anything from in or outside that shop! I agree it's a bit sordid. But does not feel criminal to me because the stuff is jumble and of low value and quality ( I am assuming). 'chaved up pikey scummy ' is a revolting expression and I hope 'they' come and get you. Get a life. I ask you. Why so rude? Chang
  • <P>changski -n4n6 - although i enjoy some of the things you write,especially about dorcus and tollington tom,i think you are a bit rude because you keep bumping old threads that were discussed years ago.thats rude as its annoying for readers.but i respect your right to be rude for obvious reasons as you dont want a cucumber sandwhiches and more tea vicar approach as this is an inner city forum not the home counties... "get a life" - yes,you bump nuff threads so pot kettle n black etc...off to eat a cheese and branston pickle sandwhich ... might not be technically criminal perhaps but still morally a theft... isnt it fair to call a spade a spade n use rude expressions to describe dodge pot mcdougals who are a disgrace to stroud green?  or do u want the cucumber sandwhich more tea vicar discussion forum...</P> <P>next...</P>
  • <P>I don't mean to stoke the fire. However, taking things from outside Mind and other charity shops IS theft and it IS against the law, and people HAVE been prosecuted. </P> <P><A href="http://www.charitiesdirect.com/caritas-magazine/the-removal-of-uncollected-charity-shop-goods-is-theft-798.html">http://www.charitiesdirect.com/caritas-magazine/the-removal-of-uncollected-charity-shop-goods-is-theft-798.html</A></P>; <P>I shall leave others to discuss the morality of it or try to justify it.</P> <P> </P>
  • @Nick10, interesting - I would also have thought the law regarded such stuff as abandoned. Given that leaving bags outside charity shops is littering, though, I wonder how our woman in the green car would fare in court if she presented herself as a one-woman anti-litter band!
  • I would imagine she'd get pretty short shrift. I can't really see how it could be anything other than theft - she's taking something that doesn't belong to her. Maybe I'm looking at it rather simplistically, but that's how I see it. That said I don't really have a problem with barnesbq taking the trunk, as I said earlier, if it's going to someone who needs it then it's all to the good.<br>
  • ChrisN4 - what is bumping?
  • When it's deliberately left on the pavement - finders keepers, losers weepers.<br>When it;s accidentally dropped on the pavement - hand it in if it is of worth.<br>When its in a shop - you pay for it.<br><br>People who leave things in the street should be prosecuted for dumping.<br><br>It may not be the law, but that's my opinion.<br><br><br>
  • edited February 2012
    <p>Why on earth do people leave clothes in bags outside Charity shops.  Surely if you work Monday to friday during office hours you can go in on Saturday.  Bag it one weekend or during the week and just pop it in on Saturday.  If not there are donation bins now all over the place. One near the petrol station on Stapleton road and one opposite Nandos.  An ex-gf used to scream at some gypsys ten years ago who would over and over again take the bags apart looking for bounty and throw things they didn't want all over the place </p><p>Message: Don't leave bags of clothes or other donations outside the Mind shop or any other charity shop.</p>
  • A woman snooping through the pile of stuff outside Mind this morning got quite irate when I asked her if the stuff loaded in and on her car had come from other charity shops. She got quite aggressive when I whipped out my phone to take a photo of her and her car.
  • Splendid well done.
  • edited March 2012
    It never ceases to amaze me why people leave bags of stuff outside charity shops. They're either completely ignorant of the fact that someone will rummage through them, or they don't really care. They just want to get rid of the stuff, and think well maybe they'll get the stuff, maybe they won't.<br><br>It's not stealing if people pick up stuff abandoned in a public place. Immoral maybe, yes, if the stuff is intended for a charity to help people, but it's not an offence, so StroudGreen.SNT have absolutely no power to stop anyone who takes it.<br><br>There's no point in shouting after people who rummage either, as 5 minutes later there'll be someone else along to do the same. I've watched it many times sitting in the pub having a quiet pint. Someone will dump a bag of clothes and within 5 minutes someone either takes the bags or starts rummaging through them. Then the next person comes along, then the next.<br><br>Don't concern yourselves with it. If you wanna donate, donate, don't worry about the clueless people who dump stuff outside, or the people who take it. That's life.<br>
  • <p>M&S have launched their 'Shwopping' project - ugly name, good idea.</p><p><a href="http://www.marksandspencer.com/Shwop/b/1672188031?_encoding=UTF8&amp;mnSBrand=core&amp;intid=gnav_ Kids">http://www.marksandspencer.com/Shwop/b/1672188031?_encoding=UTF8&amp;mnSBrand=core&amp;intid=gnav_ Kids&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;They will take in any old clothes from any shop at all their shops (exc. Simply Food shops). No excuse for lazy dumping now!</p>
  • Are there no charities that will picks up bags of clothes from your house? I'm on a bit of a mission to get rid of stuff. I'm up to 5 large bin bags, and there's lots more to go through. The bags are quite heavy. I don't really want to make several trips to Marie Curie, and we don't have a car. We do, occasionally, get bags from charities through the door, but they're never charities I've heard of. I'm almost tempted to call the people who give you 50p/kilo for bags of clothes and re-sell them in Eastern Europe. I'd rather give them to a decent charity, but I don't want to spend an afternoon schlepping back and forth, with one bag at a time.
  • just don't leave stuff outside people.  it's not rocket science.  Leaving it outside leaves your goods subject to theft, rain and mice.  Why leave it outside? It's open 6 days a week.  Unless you have very odd workhours give it to them inside.  If your are a shy type, leave your clothes in the many recycling bins round Stroud Green.  One at the petrol station on Stapleton Hall road, one on Upper Tollington near the corner with Stroud Green <div>road. Probably others too!</div>
  • @rainbow_carnage, when you've done your sorting, why not call your local charity shop anyway? The worst they can say is no, but even if they don't officially do collections, one of their staff or volunteers might be prepared to pick up a generous donation.
  • Oxfam will collect furniture, so they might pick up a hefty donation while on their rounds. Worth a try.