The Shard

edited July 2012 in About this site
Was half thinking of having a look at the Shard Light Show tonight. Starts at 10.15 apparently.<div><br></div><div>Any suggestions on the best vantage points locally? I'm guessing Mount View Road might be best, or would it be better to head up to Ally Pally?</div>

Comments

• I watched them testing the lights last night from my room on MVR – astonishing. The flood lights really lit up the night sky, and the lasers are like nothing I’ve ever seen before, just phenomenal. There are some great pictures and videos on the internet already. Can’t wait to see them tonight in full flow. If I were you I’d go up to the reservoir on MVR – in fact I might go there myself for a broader view.
  • <P>This is nice: <A href="http://www.the-shard.com/views/360.html">http://www.the-shard.com/views/360.html</A>, especially in full screen view. Following City Road Islington is visible but the view doesn't go much further North from there.</P>
  • The picture is too low definition, but you would definitely be able to make out Stroud Green from the Shard.  You can make out parts of it from the top of Milbank Tower, which is further away.<br>
  • Mount View it is then!
  • Well, not worth hiking up the hill for. I saw two lasers, one bright one dim. I also saw some bats, met a couple of lovely people and was addressed as 'young lady' so I suppose it wasn't a complete waste of time.
  • I barely notice the hill these days
  • I watched it from the roof in Tottenham Court Road. I thought the scale of the thing - a laser miles long on a building a thousand feet tall - was genuinely a bit vertigo-inducing.
  • We went over to Primrose Hill to watch (along with about 5,000 others) and it was so disappointing - so we jumped back into the car and barrelled right down to the Shard. Whole area was awash with people and it was much more lazar-ee but I think it was a bit over hyped .  Maybe have watched too much star wars!<br>:(<br>
  • It's very peculiar but the Shard doesn't look that big to me. The shape makes it look insubstantial. If we must have skyscrapers I'd like big solid ones like Canary Wharf or the Empire State building. It's also a missed opportunity for twinkly lights, I love the way the Eiffel Tower sparkles at night.
  • edited July 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.