Wifi on London Underground

edited July 2012 in General chat
A link to the latest information on wifi access on Underground platforms can be found <A href="http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/23939.aspx">here</A>.

Comments

• I hate this idea. It will inevitably lead to people being able to use mobile phones underground. Imagine how delightful it will be when you'll not only be wedged under someone's stinking armpit but you'll have to listen to their inane conversation too. And they will be shouting over the noise of the train. It's no longer possible to have a peaceful bus journey, this will just add to the long list of reasons not to use the underground.
  • Not inevitably. This <u>will</u> enable people to have conversations using Skype or similar on their smartphones/tablets.
  • <P>If your not with Virgin you will have to pay for a package from your provider once Virgin get around to doing deals with them. It is limitted to travel info aftre the Olympics.</P> <P> </P> <P>Means the staff on the platforms will have better info</P>
  • it only works on platform and not in tunnel, so very hard for anyone to use it to do very much except download something very quickly before they get on a train<br>
  • Only works at platforms, not in tunnels. So you'll only have wifi access for the couple of minutes whilst waiting for a train. I hooked up to this whilst waiting for a train at Kings Cross a couple of weeks back, and it was good to get a quick email update but that's about it. Not really enough time to start skyping. 
  • <p>Is it really so intolerable to be unable to skype, email etc on a 20 minute tube ride? </p><p>Surely if a person is so important that they must be contactable every minute of the day they'd be able to afford a taxi instead of the hellish tube?</p>
  • What @actionverb said. I tried this at Warren St and the train came (it doesn't really work inside the train that well) so in total I had about a minute online. In this time, I managed to log on to the internet and that's it. <div><br></div><div>@missannie - I am not important at all, but my clients think they are.</div>
  • I used it very productively the other day to check which platform my train was going to depart from.  I cut it a bit fine so the train had vanished from the departure board at the station.<br>
  • Try it between Canada Water and North Greewich and I think it might work in the tunnel, probably does between Leicester Sq and Convent Garden , I also suspect it is  leaky out onto the street
  • <p>@andy, you are very important to all of us and should be SG'ing at all times!</p>
  • Nice to be able to check the service status page while waiting for a train if you catch the tail end of an announcement about severe delays and didn't catch which line its on.<br><br>And doing *that* will remain free, even after the Olympics.<br><br>roy<br>
  • I love the way these are genuine examples of using the internet in order to avoid talking to people.
  • "talking to people on the underground" eurgh. My sister-in-law does that when she comes to London all the time. I prefer to enter my own bubble of existence as i enter any public transport, stand there with my own thoughts, uninterrupted by others. Interaction with strangers gets in the way of listening to my own thoughts.<br>
  • There is usually lots of chat on the "drunks" express back from Covent Garden  late on a Friday night !