Pop-up shops on Crouch Hill

edited July 2012 in Sharing
There are two pop-up shops at the far end of Crouch Hill at the moment. Right now, one is a gallery and the other is selling floral print summer dresses and accessories. Last week, the gallery was a sandal shop. They are right at the bottom of Crouch Hill just before the Wetherspoons.<br>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RoyRoy
    edited July 2012
    I have to ask: what is it with this phrase 'pop up'?  I'd never heard it before I moved to London.<br><br>As far as I can tell it just means 'temporary' - but then there was a thread a while back about the Silver Bullet explaining how they were originally a pop-up bar because they only had a 1 year lease.  So not <i>that</i> temporary...<br><br>It's obviously the new uber-trendy way of describing uber-trendy places, but I'm not sure what it conveys other than the place is trying to be oh so trendy....<br><br>roy <br>
  • <p>There is a full explanation here <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_retail">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_retail</a></p><p>There are pop-up restaurants in Cambridge too Roy.</p><p>I'm not overly keen on the expression but I think of 'temporary shops' as the kind that take a short term lease to sell off a load of old pound shop style tat (not that I'm averse to that), and 'pop-up' shops as places I might find something unusual or interesting.</p><p>I tend to steer well clear of uber-trendy anything, that sort of thing occurs mainly in the E postcodes where the people with adventurous hairdos live.</p><p> </p>
  • <i>Pop-up retail allows a company to create a unique environment that engages their customers, as well as generates a feeling of relevance and interactivity.<br><br></i>Bleagh.  It's a marketing gimick, described in marketese...<br>
  • 'Pop-up', like 'underground', did once mean something specific, before being commandeered as an all-purpose buzzword. 
  • <P>Its quite a useful phrase in the case of this type of shop, and avoids the word temporary which doesn't necessarily convey the right message. Pop up suggests intentionally short term. Temporary suggests "replacement" or "quick fix". Can you provide an alternative?</P> <P>Agree it can be interpreted as being a bit wanky. Depends what they're doing really.</P>
  • The problem is that you get places like the Silver Bullet, which because the 'pop-up' went well, stay. So in their case it just meant 'we are opening a thing, and if it does well, it will stay open'. And doesn't that apply to all shops/clubs/whatevers?<div>If only people with a definite, non-negotiable end date used the phrase, I'd have no problem with it.</div>
  • I always though 'pop-up' was mostly about the terms of the lease. So you can set up a shop without paying a premium, 5yr+ commitment or a big refurb, but only commit to a few months on each side. This is good for people who want to retail but don't have any cash (which is the cash of most creative, independent potential retailers) and good for people who own empty shops.<div><br><div>And that's that. If it works out, you can move to a more traditional landlord/tenant relationship.</div></div><div><br></div><div>What's wrong with that as a definition? The fact that it had an 'edgy/underground' brand was because the first people to do this were fashion and premium-food types in places like brick lane and bethnal green.</div>