Coffee and Empty Shops

13»

Comments

• I find it really sinister too and, as someone else pointed out to me, buying a snow-based being who can only survive in freezing temperatures a warm hat and gloves is basically murder.
  • Just watched the John Lewis christmas ad, I think their creatives might have been inspired by this Kirsten Lepore film... <div><br></div><div><a href="">Bottle</a></div>
  • Perhaps John Lewis should cut a deal that if their cleaners can find another local cleaner paid more they'll match it.<br><br>On the ethical buying options tip, I'm considering Ecotricity for energy. More expensive but electricity is up to 100% renewable and they're working on green gas. Could be £250 or so a year more expensive than the cheapest deal though. The questions I'm pondering is therefore should I support green energy if it costs me £20 per month, but also can I do that on top of what already feels a very expensive monthly bill.<br><br>
  • Papa L, I've also heard of a company callled EBICO, with which my parents will save around £250 over the next year. I don't know how green it is, but it's a not-for-profit co. Just FYI!
  • @Papa L - 70% of cleaners earn less than a living wage. That means that at least 30% are paid significantly more than JL cleaners. Wouldn't be hard to find one. They could start with the universities, HSBC, Barclays, Deloitte...<br>
  • I'm with ecotricity for gas and electric - it's supposed to be pegged to the price of the major suppliers so shouldn't work out significantly more expensive? Though it's true it doesn't run special offer deals, so maybe that's what makes the difference. Good cause, anyway ...
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">How can Ecotricity guarantee renewably sourced energy?</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Unless they have their own grid from the renewable energy sources to your house it isn't possible. Everyone who gets their electricity from the National Grid gets it from the same variety of sources. Or am I completely wrong?</font></div>
  • I'm with ecotricity - prices don't seem significantly higher.
  • @yagamuffin, I guess it means that they will put the amount of electricity that you use into the grid from a green source - so while your actual juice consumed may not come from a windfarm etc. the amount you do does.<br><br>But that's just off the top of my head.<br><br>I will find out the answer for you.<br>
  • They only use electrickery generated by giant hamsters running in giant wheels. FACT.<br>
  • Have you discounted my theory about the fairies on bicycles @Idoru?
  • I've never seen a fairy on a bicycle. I'm not sure they approve of them.<br>