Does anyone know of any cheap fabric shops around the area??

edited October 2012 in Sharing
Hi <br><br>I am trying to redecorate my room and need to find some cheap fabric shops around the area. If anyone can help, please do contact, thank you<br><br>kind regards<br>Shanei<br>

Comments

• Ah, my favourite subject, I am actually like the Rain Man/woman of fabric shops. Rolls and Rems on Seven Sisters Rd at Nags Head end. Fantastic range and excellent prices. Also a great range of haberdashery. Ask for anything you don't see as they have a secret stash of stuff in their basement. This would be my first port of call. Nags Head market. Two stalls opposite each other just inside the Seven Sisters Rd entrance. One has sparkly shiny stuff, fabrics for tailoring and a small selection of habby. There is also a lady with a sewing machine who can make curtains. The other has has a better range of printed cottons of all weights and good haberdashery. Ray Stitch in Islington, lovely staff, cake and tea/coffee. Mainly dress fabrics and habby. Lots of American and European imports which means you can sometimes find unusual stuff. Really good with advice and ideas. Slightly further afield 236 bus to Dalston will transport you to Ridley Rd and Dalston Fabric Mills - a veritable treasure trove of fabric of all kinds and very reasonable prices. They are sometimes up for a haggle. The stalls in the actual market are also worth a look. If you can be bothered with the tube Goldhawk Rd The best selection of fabric shops in the UK in my opinion - and I visit A LOT of fabric shops! They all have different selection but, as the name implies, A-Z fabrics tend to have the best range. If you are buying more than a tenners worth haggling is strongly recommended. All owned by a group of families and if you are polite and friendly they'll send you to the best shop for whatever you're asking for. Then of course if you're feeling flush, there is John Lewis at Westfield Stratford. Brilliant customer service as there is rarely a customer in there, but nowhere near the range of the places I've raved about above. Although if you want a wide choice of waddings or interfacing they're just the ticket. Good luck!
  • Macculloch and Wallis opposit John Lewis on Oxford Street or a little bit past Ray Stitch on Essex Road there is a fabric Shop next to the taxidermy shop.
  • If you don't mind hopping on the 29 bus, there's a yarn/haberdashery/fabric shop in the covered market in Wood Green Shopping City. Not a huge selection, but good prices and nice people. There are also some fabric shops on Turnpike Lane.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Apart from Boroviks, Soho's on the pricy side but there are some beautiful fabrics there. Mainly dress and theatrical fabrics. One of the shops on left as you come from Goldhawk Rd tube sells a huge range of Liberty fabrics on the roll and as precut metres. They sell them slightly cheaper than Liberty and as far as I see they are not seconds. Oh, and if you're over that way have a look round Shepherds Bush market too. Down by the big Clapton roundabout there is a fabric warehouse called Brimlake. It is run by orthodox Jews so the trading hours aren't usual retail hours. They have a great choice of stuff there and it's cheap,as they're mainly a wholesaler to other retailers (most of the Soho shops get their fanric there) but they don't like browsing. You have to tell them what you want and they'll go and find it for you to look at. They'll also quiz you about what you are using it for and I had to weave a quick lie on the spot when I was buying fabric for a job for Ann Summers!
  • Also some great cheap  (but quality) fabric shops in Walthamstow Market, I'm told by a seamstress who lives there - nearest tube Blackhorse Rd.
  • Not as good as Goldhawk Rd, it's really worth the half hour on the Piccadilly Line.
  • Thanks Miss Annie for all the great info here
  • <p>You're welcome. Honestly, I could bore you to death with stuff about 'Great Fabric Shops of the World'. Maybe I'll write a book.</p>
  • edited October 2012
    Would be rather useful, actually - it's not as easy as one might imagine to find fabric shops sometimes!
  • Miss Annie: Do you know when the fabric shops on Goldhawk Road are typically open at weekends?<br>
  • 9.30 until 5 I believe. A couple close for an hour at lunchtime. Closed all day Sunday.
  • 9.30 until 5 I believe. A couple close for an hour at lunchtime. Closed all day Sunday.
  • edited February 2013
    Update! Nag's Head Market now has just the one fabric stall. Less fabric, more haberdashery. I have discovered a fabric shop at Columbia Rd flower market. It has a similar stock to Ray Stitch but less range. I was not in a favourable reviewing mood as the market was so blooming busy when I visited that I couldn't browse.
  • miss A, is it Beyond Fabric? They have some lovely things in there.
  • Yes! Not as much choice as Ray Stitch in Essex Rd but nice if you're in the area.