Forchetta

Comments

• How did we get from pizza to vanilla?    Vanilla pizza?     Eh?<br><br>I was in the posh coffee shop in Crunch End recently when I heard the Italian waiter there delivering an encomium on Pappagone's to a customer.   Quite the best pizza in north Lunnun, he said, knocked Porchetta into a cocked hat, etc - and he was from Naples.    Not a bad recommendation.<br>
  • "the posh coffee shop in Crunch End". I can imagine there are lots of pretenders to that particular crown.
  • Yes, I wondered which coffee shop he was referring to! I like Crunch End!  We usually pronounce it the French way (Crew-shan), but Crunch End might take its place. <br>
  • The Forchetta place is looking good and they are still using those big cups as Plant pots. Chang
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2012
    Crouch End used to have something more about it. The thing that makes it different from a typical high street is the amount of overpriced coffee houses and homeware shops.
  • Something (probably my southern stereotyping) tells me Gail's bakery wouldn't last five minutes up North.<br>
  • edited November 2012
  • <p>I don't know, it would probably do ok in the posh bits of Yorkshire and Cheshire. Betty's in Harrogate is comparably priced.</p><p>I think it's the proliferation of shops selling expensive things that no-one really needs (£80 for a cushion) that make it seem 'posh'. </p><p> </p>
  • Stick it somewhere in the Peak District and call it 'Gail's Olde Worlde Bakery' and the holidaymakers would stampede!<br>
  • I've just looked... Betty's is shockingly more expensive!
  • I was thinking of Misscara's typical northern town, not those outposts of the South dotted around up there!<br><br>Cushions is where the money's at. Whenever I see them I always think: 'money for nothing, I should get involved in that.'<br><br>There's <a href="http://www.yastikbyrifatozbek.com/index_eng_gallery.html">a shop on a side street in High St Kensington</a>, sells only posh Turkish cushions, I can only imagine what they cost.<br><br><br><br>
  • edited November 2012
    <p>I'm over that way for work on Wednesday - I shall go in (if they'll let me) and report back.</p><p>Note to self: investigate cost of cushion pads in IKEA.</p>
  • The chocolate brownies in Gail's are pretty much worth selling your soul for.<br>
  • Well, I think there were a few properly posh places in London before the bombardment of international money; not so many now, of course.  <div><br></div><div>Crouch End is villagey in a way that Stroud Green isn't - quite - and should remain so, so long as the properly useful shops are able to remain open.  Otherwise it will go the way of Muswell Hill, where the invaluable ironmongery is now an organic supermarket... </div>
  • I was brought up in Muswell Hill and am still very fond of it.  In fact, I'm back there now, waiting to move in to a place in SG.  It is indeed a great pity that the Singer shop packed up, similarly Bond & White.  Both had been there for as long as I can remember.  Two more charity shops sprang up recently, for a total of eight in the area.  What would really make a difference is a decent, non-chain restaurant, in the mould of Season, and an honest pub.  The cinema is still fab, but charges near-West End prices.  Toffs remains high-quality, if a bit expensive.<div><br></div><div>And Crouch End is much more celeb-haunted these days.  About 10 years ago, half the cast of EastEnders seemed to live in MH.</div>
  • Muswell Hill has the best £1 shop I've ever been in. The Gaudiesque art shop opposite Barclays is not bad, quite a decent selection of stuff downstairs. The gilding supplies shop by Highgate tube has a very good range if you can't be bothered with Town. Depends how you define posh really. It's certainly not about money or what shops are on the High Street. I would say that Hampstead, Mayfair and Belgravia are, Chelsea and Knightsbridge are not any more (full of new money and Russians).
  • Papa L, that sounds like "I saw you coming", <a href="">
  • Downstairs is where they keep the art supplies. I don't shop at the Haelan Centre but can vouch for the chiropractor and acupuncturist working in the treatment rooms upstairs. Fantastic, but not at all expensive.
  • I love those Saw You Coming sketches. <br><br>On the subject of posh parts of town, my test is when you go off the High Street, ie a road back - such as with the Kensington High St cushion shop in question. The mark of a definitely posh neck of the woods.<br>
  • What's going on with this Forchetta place? Anyone any idea when/if it's going to open?<br>
  • In a week or two. Spoke to the Neapolitan owner(?). Coffee, an important part of the mix, Italian style, I hope. I forgot to ask what percentage was owned by Tesco's.
  • A week or two? They already have ice cream on display!
  • That's what he said, whilst proudly showing me the ice cream. Oh, and there'll be tables on the pavement again, presumably when it's warm enough.
  • edited February 2013
    Next to the estate agent/Post Office on Stroud Green Road.  Used to be an Italian deli/coffee bar before.