The old bill and money van hijack

edited November 2012 in General chat
Just seen 2 nervous coppers nr old dairy station side as a huge lorry picked up a cash security truck which had 'broken down' outside Tony's. Looked like an episode of The Bill. Chang

Comments

• Just to clear this up. It hadn't 'broken down', it had broken down. Sorry to spoil the excitement.
  • So why the sweating coppers, smoking blondes and Sweeney atmosphere ? Chang.
  • Dont think it broke down. I was riding past and it was right in the middle of the road, the buses were getting diverted to the right side of it and cars to the left.
  • Maybe the coppers weren't real, like Skyfall, and it was to get money for a gang or secret organisation (eg WI ). Chang
  • We're more 'Give us your money or you don't get cake' than van raiders!
  • <p>They are not coppers but police, we give them enough shit so treat them with a little respect.</p>
  • @Detritus - I honestly thought that 'coppers' was an affectionate way of referring to the police - sort of like calling an electrician a sparky or a doctor a medic. Are you sure it's rude?
  • any police on the forum have an opinion on this? I tend to agree with @Mirandola - they get called much worse ...
  • I wondered about that. Is Old Bill OK? Bow Street Runners? Bobbies? The Filth? I don't really think the word 'coppers' is worth getting hot under the collar about. If your collar had been felt though you might feel otherwise. It's a fair cop guv, I'm nicked!<br>
  • Yeah, none of the coppers I know mind being called that, so long as it's not prefaced with 'You'll never take me alive' or similar.
  • <p>I just think it is wrong, in my mind it's the police nothing more nothing less.</p>
  • <a href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090208185501AAo3gR4">Yahoo Answers</a> says:<div>"<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">To cut to the chase, the police sense of "</span><span class="yshortcuts cs4-visible" id="lw_1352848041_0" style="font-size: 10pt; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(54, 99, 136); border-bottom-width: 2px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(54, 99, 136); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">copper</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">" and "</span><span class="yshortcuts cs4-visible" id="lw_1352848041_1" style="font-size: 10pt; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(54, 99, 136); border-bottom-width: 2px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(54, 99, 136); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">cop</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">" probably comes originally from the Latin word "capere," meaning "to seize," which also gave us "capture." "</span><span class="yshortcuts cs4-visible" id="lw_1352848041_2" style="font-size: 10pt; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(54, 99, 136); border-bottom-width: 2px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(54, 99, 136); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Cop</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">" as a slang term meaning "to catch, snatch or grab" appeared in English in the 18th century, ironically originally used among thieves -- a "copper" was a street thief. But by the middle of the 19th century, criminals apprehended by the police were said to have themselves been "copped" -- caught -- by the "coppers" or "cops." Some say it was the brass/copper buttons they wore."</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">If it comes from Latin it can be bad! ;)</span></div>
  • edited November 2012
    But where did the money go? Chang
  • Many years ago I walked into the middle of an armed raid on the Post Office that used to be there (now the African Resturant). It was very exciting with police  cars ramming the get away vehicle and some shots fired  no it was not when  they filmed the Zombie film in the Pizzaa takeaway  oppo the Nobel.