Amex

AliAli
edited November 2012 in Sharing
<P>If any of you have an Amex card go here amex.co.uk/shopsmall  and register</P> <P>If you spend more than £5  on your card they give you a credits of £5 each time all through November.  There are loads of shops involved includng according to the web site.  SG Fruit & Veg, Worlds End, Cats, Venezia, Cost Cutter Nu Chem, Santas  Pharmacy, Stapelton, X-It, Diner  box, Hornsey Automatic Transmisoins, Annie Mundy Jewlwry 76 Florrence Road, Juice Producer 24 Lancaster Road  and more </P> <P>With that list I think I can see ,aking  £50 very easily  this  weekend</P>

Comments

• This is great news thanks. Dinner box is on speed dial in Lorne road!
  • I was just about to post about this! I spent £40 of free money today in 8 shops round here, my husband also has an Amex and we are planning a pub crawl spending £10 in each pub, totally awesome! X-it doesn't take it, should be working next week though. There's a £6 minimum spend at strpid green fruit and veg. Kee foods also takes it, great for spices, and rose wine and food the newsagents on fonthill road. Boulangerie Bon matin also takes it. Pappagone expects a £10 minimum spend. Nuchem takes it too. Lasts until 30 November.
  • edited November 2012
    Bear in mind you only get £5 free spend only once in each store.
  • edited November 2012
    <p>Blimey, I intrigued as to how that works. Small shops don't generally take Amex as it costs a bloody fortune to process the transactions and for small shops it's not worthwhile.</p><p>I've never earned enough to have Amex - perils of being a daydreaming creative type. I've seen those lovely black Centurion Amex's in action a few times though, I'd like one of those.</p>
  • I've never understood Amex. I'm always seeing signs, 'credit cards accepted - but not Amex'. I always assumed you not only needed to be Rich to have one but shop in posh shops. Maybe I need to look again, never like to turn down free money!<div><br></div>
  • I've been doing this everyday for lunch in Shoreditch - been a challenge finding somewhere new everyday! Also re-assuring that you get an email as soon as you do the deal, so that you do know you will get be getting a credit on your card within a few days.<div><br></div><div>Warning though - Amex website said that The Mezbaan was part of this offer, but just bought my dinner from there and there machine didn't accept Amex! Want to complain and try and get a credit anyway, but don't think I'll have much joy....</div>
  • @missannie, I found out a few years ago what the annual fee was for the Centurion card, and nearly fainted! I imagine it's gone up since then...
  • edited November 2012
    I've written about Amex cards in my previous life as a personal finance journalist. You really don't need to be posh or rich to get an amex card - I think the minimum income is £20k and they give you a £6k credit threshold!<div>You just need to make sure you can pay off the bills in full each month because the APR is extortionate.</div><div>I doubt if you applied you'd get one in time for this offer though - it only lasts until 30 November. If you do want one, go through topcashback as you will get £20 for the platinum card.</div>
  • edited November 2012
    <p>Thank you for posting about this, I somehow missed it until now.</p>
  • Thanks for alerting me to this. I bought a round of drinks in the Stapleton and a take away from Meghna and got the emails telling me I will be credited £5 each.<br><br>Haberdashery, though, charged me 35p for using a card (any card). Very poor customer service I thought. It still leaves me £4.65 to the good I suppose, having eaten breakfast with a pot of tea for £5.70. About the same as I would expect to pay for an average breakfast in any decent caf.<br><br>I won't be going back<br>
  • Oh, and don't waste  your shoe leather - as I did - by going to Budgens in Crouch End. They don't take American Express<br>
  • The fishmongers Walter puriss in crouch end takes it - as does Dunns, the bakery. Totally awesome.
  • How does it work? Do you just use your Amex card, or do you have to tell them you want to take advantage of the campaign?
  • I think you just use the card, but you have to register at amex.co.uk/shopsmall first.<br>
  • Thanks, I did all that today, but I didn't get an email or a credit. It's probably me. Glad it works for others!
  • It takes a few days after the £5 are credited to your statement. Each time you use the card in a store which takes part you get an email within minutes confirming that you will get the credit.<br>
  • Treated myself to a Pappagone for dinner tonight!
  • edited November 2012
    You should definitely get an email if it works. Dunns bakery and boulangerie Bon matin are must-visits for £5 of cakes if you are doing this. I also recommend pharmacies, really great stuff in there for £5. The old cost cutter on Stroud green road is art of the scheme, as is the worlds end and Stapleton tavern.
  • I got a confirmation e-mail after paying with my Amex in Venezia. Nothing after BBM & the veg shop. Meh.<br>