2012's Worst-Run Tesco Competition

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Alright stroudgreen.orgers!</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Time is running out to get our entry together for 2012's worst-run Tesco competition. Get your pictures and anecdotes onto the Facebook page as soon as you can and we'll get Tesco Stroud Green Road (TSGR) into the hallowed halls of fame at long last!</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">https://www.facebook.com/groups/170649529746748/</font></div>;

Comments

• <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Empty shelves? Broken freezers? Malfunctioning lights? Empty check-outs? Get snapping, and post your pictures to the Facebook page:</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">https://www.facebook.com/groups/170649529746748/</font></div>;
  • Regrettably I have no footage of the abysmal CS Service I got there ...
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I think it is very good shop. the staff are mainly good, the bald manager  last week went out of his way to be helpful and opened up a till when the area got busy. the bread is expensive and the pork pies can be on the hard side, but the Chinese  selection is surprisingly good  although the deli counter shut last year  (which was a shame but it is an area with lots of council housing). i hate the automated checkouts as it cuts jobs and gives people bad backs, but otherwise i think it is a great shop so u critics can get stuffed. chang.</font>
  • <p>Have you ever been into SGR Tesco Chang? </p>
  • I virtually live there Annie- as my gf and bank manager comPlain!! Abdul's mate who Used to live with Cassie and drink in the bull is a big fan which says a lot cos they are piccy. At weekends anyway it is good. Sainsburys feels like it is on a submarine off the Cambodian coast and the food is horrible factory stuff. I do find SG Tesco good aside from the occasional pork pie disaster and Xmas promotions - tour of duty 6 and quality street megga tins - Right up Chetski's street, I know, but I can do wiv out it. Chang
  • <p>Chang are we both talking about the Tesco on Stroud Green Road?</p><p>The one next to The White Lion?</p><p> </p>
  • I want to hear more about Abdul and Cassie. 
  • Yes Annie that one where the fire was nr the Boris bike rack. AV it could get sticky re Abdul. Chang
  • edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2012
    There is no Chang ... 发票可全国联网查询,税务局验证后付款.点数低!(敬请保留、已防备用)
  • Chang is a character, a figment of someone's imagination. As are Tollington Tom, ChrisN4 and the others. Sadly, the author has failed to develop a unique voice for each character, so they all blend together.<br>
  • No, SG Steve, Chris N4 and the northern heights are all one. Chang and Tollington Tom are all one (different) one. It's easy to see, mostly because Chris N4 told us before he was banished for being an insufferable oaf.
  • I have always wanted to be an insufferable oaf, it looks like good career progression.
  • Getting back to the ostensible topic, I've always wondered if their inability to keep condoms in stock - even beyond their general stock control issues - is a sign of some twerp in management opposed to contraception for imaginary friend reasons.
  • edited November 2012
    No ADgs It is cos they are bored with dick heads trudging in to the shop (see missy elliot, jo-blow and rainbucket above. Bless em). Chang ;)
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">我唯一的罪行是爱斯特劳德绿色,像一个诱人的女人 eg Dorcas</font>
  • All very interesting stuff, team, but let's see more photographic evidence (via that Facebook page). This trophy ain't gonna win itself!<br>
  • Nice coaching Rob. I would cite the fact that rain or shine you can predict the days of the week when there will be no stock, as a real merit for this award.<br><br>Plus the complete subversion of Tesco's long-running <a href="http://www.tesco.com/investorInformation/report95/R1oif.html">One in Front policy</a>, which means that if there is someone in front of you they should open an extra till - in Stroud Green, they spot a person in front of you and then close a till.<br><br>Oh, and it being impossible to find a member of staff on the shop floor to help you find things.<br><br>That said I blame bad management and under-investment not the staff. There are some nice staff in there, doing a job that must often be a drudge, and if you are pleasant to them they will be pleasant back.<br>
  • <P>I think Chang might secretly be the bald manager of Tesco SGR or maybe the bald managers mother or wife.</P> <P>I have a short video where all the self checkout's are flashing red and then a 360 degree rotation without a tesco staff member in sight.   It's classic footage!</P>
  • Mate u am not bald. But smooth where it counts. Chang
  • edited November 2012
    @Papa L: I completely agree. The staff are generally a delight. I don't even really blame the manager because she seems nice too (the woman with the long light-coloured hair). What grinds my gears is the massive under-investment and the unwillingness to put in enough staff.<div><br></div><div>A happily-staffed TSGR = more jobs for N4, less profit for Tesco, less feeling like you're shopping in some sad forgotten corner of the Tesco universe. Everyone wins!<div><br></div><div>(p.s. this is why the facebook page insists on no snaps of staff. But dirty floors and broken fridges? Bring 'em on!)</div></div><div><br></div><div><a href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/170649529746748/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: small; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(99, 127, 68); line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">https://www.facebook.com/groups/170649529746748/</a></div>;
  • edited November 2012
    @Shaftesbury Rob<div><br></div><div>I have had some pretty unpleasant CS experiences there - one can argue that this may well have happened elsewhere, and that there are good and bad members of staff wherever you go and not just in retail (though extra training never harms...)</div><div><br></div><div>I completely agree with you that the store suffers from underinvestment and that it could be a lot better than it is.</div>
  • If you are so concern about Tesco service why don't you aproach the manager and make them know that you and so many others are unhappy about their service (constructive criticism) to go to the extent of creating a facebook grupo and motive all the SG forum to catch tesco in chaos uhhhh?
  • edited December 2012
    @ feli.  Agree with you.  I think it has improved a bit over the last month. Maybe down to complaints.  
  • <p>Oh, believe me I've complained. In the shop, to customer service and finally, personally, to Terry Leahy (ex CEO).</p><p>I've had vouchers a letter for customer services and a nice email from Mr Leahy, but still SGR Tesco remains shoddy, understaffed and badly stocked. However, Tesco will never need to spend money to improve it because, despite other local shops offering better choice and value (greengrocers, butchers etc), people continue to queue up to give Tesco their money. </p>
  • Other local shops offer better value in specific areas - eg Ash for fruit and veg - but I believe he has himself posted saying that for some items, Tesco remains cheapest/best. If you want a tin of baked beans, say, then all the independent shops will charge you more or offer a slightly shonkier brand.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@feli I've complained myself numerous times about the dire service and inconsistent running times but never got anything other than "we've spoke to the manager blah blah". </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">It truly is one of the worst tescos in existence, clearly the worst supermarket for miles around. They have no interest in doing anything about the situation and the vast majority of staff are happy to keep it how it is, with their managers closing up to 2 hours early its hard to argue with them since all that free time must be a strong motivator to keep it how it is. </font></div>
  • I prefer to use the self-checkout tills to avoid having to deal with the staff. They act like they're doing you a favour by scanning your groceries. I'd rather just do it myself. It's slower, but at least no one is sighing and rolling their eyes at you. That is, if they make eye contact at all.<br><br>A few weeks ago the till crashed as I was scanning the last of a dozen items. The assistant didn't know what to do to fix it. I had to unpack my bags and start all over at another till. Fun times.<br>
  • edited December 2012
    @JamesDaniel<;div><br></div><div>You nailed it - it's the lack of interest in making things better that's depressing.  The complaints I put against the staff have never been properly dealt with.  Once I forgot to weight some sweets from the pick and mix and the member of staff at the checkout threw them in the bin with a sarcastic"Too late now..." in front of my children.</div><div>Hardly an edifying experience...</div>