Mattress removal or contacting landlord

edited November 2012 in Sharing
Next door neighbour's have a number of mattresses and bed devans in their front garden, which lean into mine/fully visible through my front window at all times, with other pieces of broken furniture piled up.  Occasionally one of the mattresses falls into my front garden over a low party wall (when it's windy etc).<br><br>There are I think 8 studio flats in the house next door, and polite requests for whoever they belong to to contact Haringey / Veolia (I provided the contact details and info that it was free to have mattresses removed) have so far failed to have them uplifted.  I don't know any of the residents to speak to on nieghbourly terms, so I'm afraid I put flyers with the information addressed to all the flats through the front door.  <br><br>Mattresses have been there for 6+ months.  <br><br>Can anyone suggest how to contact the landlord to get them to shift them?  Or can I go direct to the council to ask them, as they'll likely have a record on the 'house of multiple-occupancy' records?   <br><br>

Comments

• You could try googling fixmystreet
  • And if you were feeling inquisitive you could see if they have planning permission...
  • I'd go direct to the council - let them track down the landlord and get it sorted.<br>
  • Thanks for the ideas.  I tracked down (I think) the landlord or their accountants via the planning portal, so have called them directly to give them time, otherwise I'll just go to the council.  Think there may be vermin attracted to the garden by the comfy mattresses...<br>
  • edited November 2012
    <div>Had  a very similar issue in the summer - property alongside mine is managed by "partner agency" (not housing area office), the Council advised me of this after my initial enquiry. </div><div>I emailed them outlining the issue and they wrote to the residents who sorted out the issue quite quickly and removed the stuff.  I said I wanted to stay anonymous but left my details with them for feedback.</div>
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks theMimsy, was it just <a href="mailto:enquiries.haringey@veolia.co.uk" title="enquiries.haringey@veolia.co.uk" style="border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(29, 114, 109); font-weight: bold; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 19.433332443237305px;">enquiries.haringey@veolia.co.uk</a> you contacted?  The details I found on the planning portal were out of date so am no closer to finding the owner.
  • Having previously worked for a coucil I suggest the following - If the front yard is private land, which is what I would expect, they can dump what they like in that area in general and cause as much aesthetic damage as they wish. However, if it is causing a health and safety / environmental health issue the council can issue the landlord/owner with a notice to force removal and can take this to court to enforce if necessary. I strongly recommend that you emphasise the issue with rats and you should have some success. I suggest you call the council and ask to speak to the environmental health department as a starting point. Good luck!
  • I'd just ring Veolia, pretend you live there, and get them to collect the mattresses.   I've rung up recently, to get all sorts picked up, they're not exactly organised.   They don't check names against the electoral register.   
  • edited November 2012
    <div>@Graeme<;/div><div><br></div><div>I am actually in Islington, but I would imagine Haringey follows the same guidelines.  I would check with the council who manages the property e.g. them. private landlord, partner agency or housing association.</div><div> I emailed the housing office for my area in the first instance.</div><div><br></div><div>@Helicon - in my case the neighbours are council tenants. I argued that they had a responsibility to keep the front garden clean as there was an issue with flies and possibly rats.  I also said that their front garden was a bit of an eyesore in an otherwise well maintained road.  I agree that stressing the health and safety issue adds strength to the argument.</div>