Beetroot

edited December 2012 in General chat
<p>You may remember the tale of Beetroot cat. We took her in because she appeared to be abandoned, sleeping under hedges, being fed by neighbours.</p><p><a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/3935/found:-black-and-white-cat">http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/3935/found:-black-and-white-cat&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Well we took her to Zasman today for flea treatment and when they found her microchip they called previous owners and they want her back. They hadn't reported her missing). She is going from a little garden flat in a quiet street with two people that love her. I am very upset but I doubt there is much I can do about it. Any advice?</p><p>Thank you </p><p>A very sad Miss A</p>

Comments

• Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear this. Is it worth trying the RSPCA? The vet should be able to confirm that she had been neglected (from when you first took her in). I doubt the RSPCA have any power to give you ownership, but they might be able to get involved in some way if Beetroot's future welfare is in doubt (I would imagine it is, having seen the cat when it was apparently abandoned). Or you could try to convince the previous owner, perhaps through the medium of cash, that she'd be better off with you. Good luck xx
  • Oh dear. That's so sad. The trouble is that presumably you can't be sure if she abandoned or lost? Maybe the owners had moved recently and she tried to get back to the old house. The state she was in might not be indicative of how she's usually cared for. <br><br>I'm not sure about the extent of the RSPCA's powers, but you can ask questions here: http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice and there are phone numbers etc. If you can get in touch with the owners it might be worth trying to explain that you love her very much and would be upset if she had to go. The fact that she's got a garden might swing things in your favour.<br><br>Good luck x<br>
  • edited December 2012
    <P>Oh that is sad Annie. Have they just told the vet they want her back, or told you?</P> <P>I doubt very much they would have said no when the vet called them.</P> <P>I would speak to the owners and tell them she's very happy in her new home and would they object to you keeping her? Worth a try at least?</P> <P>When I took Kitty in as a stray kitten I found out about one week later where she'd come from. The original owner just said 'she's yours if you want her'. </P>
  • You should definitely speak to the RSPCA to see if they will help - I'm sure those on here that reported she was neglected and had been living outside 24 hours a day for 'at least a couple of months' before you took her in would be happy to give back up statements.  Surely they can't be that bothered about her if she was microchipped and they didn't even bother to contact the microchip people during that time - I wonder if there's a time limit after which time you can claim ownership?<div><br></div><div>Hopefully they were just a bit embarrassed when the vet called and felt they should say they wanted her.  I really hope they let you have her.  </div><div><br></div>
  • Sadly despite supposedly being a nation of 'animal lovers' we don't really have any laws regarding animal welfare, especially when compared to nations like Australia and the US.<div><br></div><div>Having said that if it goes that far a good lawyer should be able to sort this in your favour I would have thought, given the cat was not reported missing and you have been taking care of her for a number of months.</div><div><br></div><div>Has the vet put you in touch with the owner or are they mediating? Given they apparently weren't bothered enough to report her missing I would have thought a starting point of "well we need x number of pounds in compensation for food, vet bills and emotional distress of losing the cat" will result in a shrug of the shoulders and them walking away sans cat.</div>
  • Vets are supposed to scan the microchip of any strays brought in.  Sadly if this was the first visit to the vet then it may be hard to make the argument that the cat was in a particularly sorry state when first found.  The "need for compensation" argument might be a winner though.<br>
  • Oh dear, this is a sad turn in a happy story. I think what's odd is the combination of microchip and no missing report. I lost a cat a couple of years ago and didn't report it because I didn't think there was any chance he would be found - but if I had got news that he had turned up I must say I would have been thrilled and would absolutely have wanted him back. However - big difference - he wasn't microchipped; if he had been I would have definitely reported him missing (which is why my current cats are). <div><br></div><div>I agree that probably the best thing would be to try and persuade the current owners - I suppose via vet mediation. Offering them money to buy Beetroot would probably work out less expensive than trying to pursue compensation costs in the courts, though, and I'd guess more likely to succeed.  </div><div><br></div><div>Good luck on this - fingers crossed for another happy ending!</div>
  • edited December 2012
    Good news! The vet let Beetroot's original people know that we have been caring for her, she's been well looked after and that we were upset to lose her and they have just agreed to let us collect and keep her! To say that we are thrilled is a massive understatement. Thank you all for the support and advice, it's been a tough old day.
  • oh that's fantastic news!
  • It's a cat-christmas miracle!
  • Brilliant news!<br>
  • That's is absolutely brilliant news! But those previous owners should go on a list. If you can't care for your animal anymore, try to find a loving home, don't abandon your animal!<br><br>Great for Beetroot and you guys, though.<br>
  • Maybe it ran away !
  • Maybe. If I jumped to conclusions, I'm truly sorry. However, it's a good outcome and I'm glad about it. <br>
  • It's lovely to have her back! Will try to work out how to post a picture, never quite mastered it.
  • <p>I think this may work, but dont hold me to that, computers and the magical Internet land are mostly a mystery to me.</p><p><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/beetrootcat/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/beetrootcat/</a></p>;
  • Aaaah. She has a very inquiring little face. Love black and white cats.
  • Awww! She does have a lovely face. <br>
  • Looks happy and content. As you know I'm not so much into furry animals, but even I can see she's a happy camper.<br>
  • Lovely! She looks so much better than when I saw her all skinny and sad-faced. Hmmm, cat pictures. Maybe we should post more. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Has anyone else's cat been chasing snowflakes today? Beetroot loves snowflakes, she spent a happy half hour pouncing on them.
  • Should catch it on camera next time :)
  • Awww! Apparently my mum's cats took one look at the snow and decided yesterday was indoor day.<br>