Tufnell Park sorting office

edited February 2013 in Sharing
I can't believe our mail is now all sorted up in Tufnell Park when there seem to be nearer operational sorting offices. What a trek !! I have already been let down on redelivery on one signed for item, so now have to go through whole rigmarole of re-ordering a second redelivery, which may not arrive either. <br><br>The automated phone systen is a nightmare, I speak english perfectly well but it could not recognise a simple "yes" no matter how many times i repeated it !! How can that be when there are only two basic response choices ...  "yes" or "no" !!! Argggh !!! Does anybody have an actual direct phone number to the world of lost things in Tufnell Park !! The kafkaesque nightmare is finally upon us !

Comments

• This is a real pain...<div><br></div><div>I am about 10 minutes away from the Hornsey Road sorting office  and I am yet to locate exactly  the new sorting office in Tufnell Park.</div><div>I am considering getting a "safe place" type of thing in the front garden so that the post man can drop off the items, though I guess this does not solve the problem of special delivery/signed for?</div>
  • Its ridiculous. The Lib Dem petition campaign secured a promise that reidents of Hornsey, who have also lost their collection office, would have parcels held at their local post office instead.  But no such guarantee has been secured for N4.<br>
  • @Arkady, the Hornsey office has been reprieved for at least the next 6 months. What I don't get is why N4 post can't be directed there...
  • edited February 2013
    <div><br></div><div>@Vetski<;/div><div><br></div><div>Is the sorting office in the Harringay Arena Shopping Centre gone, too? As well as the one on Hornsey Road serving N19 and N6?  </div>
  • edited February 2013
    at this rate, we'll all be travelling to Milton Keynes to collect our mail soon ...lol The really annoying thing is there is no "real" phone number to the sorting office (just a generic one that takes you on a virtual world trip for half an hour) so when they fail to redeliver, you have to go thru the whole process all over again.......and again and again. I think it's a conspiracy to drive us all insane ?
  • The Arena sorting office is indeed defunct. The Station Road one isn't any further from SGR as the crow flies - but in practice is in a very annoying linear industrial park where you have to double back on yourself for quite a distance. And you can't combine the trip with shopping.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Free parcel collection to continue at Archway P.O.: </span></font><br><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">http://www.hamhighbroadway.co.uk/news/royal_mail_to_keep_parcel_collection_service_in_highgate_after_campaign_1_1940022</div>;
  • Anybody in the N19 postcode? Where are you getting the parcels from, Hornsey Road or Tufnell Park?
  • The new sorting office seems a long way from anywhere, and even further from Stroud Green! What can you expect from Royal Mail though?
  • <P>A local Councillor  should invite a senior manager rom the  PO to make the journey from N4 to the new place and back to make the point of how daft this is without  some laternative local arrangements. Some on in Head Office has done a "crow flys" on this  cf Harringey Arena </P> <P> </P> <P>Iwas much better when it used to here nera to the tube  <A href="https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&gbv=2&q=fonthill+road&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48761b99f6c6c711:0x95651d35e805be09,Fonthill+Rd,+London+N4+3HZ&gl=uk&ei=IMUkUcecG4WI8QT5rYGIBQ&ved=0CCYQ8gEoADAD">https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&gbv=2&q=fonthill+road&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48761b99f6c6c711:0x95651d35e805be09,Fonthill+Rd,+London+N4+3HZ&gl=uk&ei=IMUkUcecG4WI8QT5rYGIBQ&ved=0CCYQ8gEoADAD</A></P>;
  • edited February 2013
    Am looking at a 4-fold increase in journey time from 11 minutes to 44 minutes for me to walk from house to sorting office, from an N4 postcode.    <br><br>Seems like the courier companies that offer re-deliveries at a time convenient to me (e.g. DX for concert tickets etc) when I can be in will just take more business from RM, if I get a choice of delivery option when making purchases, it can't be RM.  That's a great business plan. <br> <br>
  • Is that it and the Arena sorting office is now gone? <br><br>The whole thing is madness - the Royal Mail seems determined to turn the post into such a nightmare that no one uses it. We have had a big rise in packages where not enough postage has been paid and we are having to pay the extra - normally sent by someone from a Post Office where it has been weighed, sized, charged etc. so how can it be wrong.<br><br>It's worse for those out of town. Where my parents live in Hertfordshire people have now been told to go more than 5 miles away to the other side of St Albans.<br><br>Some enterprising souls should set up a delivery to a pub system. You pay a small collection fee to the pub, or can get a discount off a pint when you pick it up. If only I was more proactive.<br>
  • The sorting office thing is an enormous faff, but other than that I have only good things to say about Royal Mail. I send and receive a lot of parcels from all over the place and the service is brilliant. First Class is always delivered within 48hrs, usually 24. Parcels to the U.S. cost me around £3.50, an equivalent size parcel from the U.S. now costs the sender $15 or more! Our postal service is tremendous value compared to other options and I trust the postman to handle items properly much more than the courier services.
  • Agreed. Courier services, in my experience, tend to be dreadful - DPD are unhelpful, and only offer redeliveries during office hours unless you pay extra. They also seem to have a policy of making sure any normal telephone number which gets out for them, as against ones where they can cream off more money, is quickly disconnected. And as for Yodel...
  • Fedex delivered something to me on Wednesday, having solemnly promised to deliver it on Friday.
  • edited February 2013
    ADGS - totally agree with you.<div><br><div>I have had terrible experiences with Yodel.  The tracking information on the website is totally unreliable: often they say that they had attempted delivery but I found no card to prove that they had been round...</div><div>To be honest I like Royal Mail, my postman is a regular and he is really nice - once I forgot my key in the door, he took it off, hid it somewhere in the front garden and left me a note...</div></div><div>It's been easier to get the stuff from the Hornsey Road sorting office than to have any redelivery booked with any of the courier companies...</div><div><br></div>
  • might be simpler to train up a pigeon<br>
  • and some of the postmen sing !
  • ah yes....we are lucky at least in that :-)<br>
  • I agree that the post still beats courier companies in many instances. Given the option, I will still choose delivery by post over delivery by courier.<br><br>I am also a big fan of our regular local postmen, who are brilliant, recognise us, and will be as helpful as possible to make sure we get a package or letter. <br><br>Even at 60p, first class post is an amazing service. The fact you can send a letter to arrive with someone who lives on the other side of the country, normally the next day, for the price of a bag of crisps, is often overlooked.<br><br>My criticism is of the bureaucrats behind the post and the direction of travel of their service. ie shutting down Post Offices, making getting the right price for postage a dark art, closing collection offices and making it incredibly hard to get through to someone to sort out something when it goes missing.<br><br><br><br><br>
  • I have no argument with that, and I don't think many posties would either.