Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• Yeah I hate having to turn right when there's several lanes of traffic! Avoid Holloway road for that reason.<div><br></div><div>What is it with bikes that are locked up outside somewhere that are completely battered? There was one at Finsbury Park station yesterday. Rusty chain, only one wheel, bent frame etc? Do people just forget about their bikes?</div>
  • I don't understand that either. In Japan it's normal--abandoned bikes, but we love our bikes here, no? There's a Raleigh locked up at Lidl (for weeks), which would be a nice bike if cleaned and given a once-over. And there was one for ages in Hackney, which has now been removed by the council (they put a note on it beforehand). I wish people would give their bikes to me if they don't want them anymore. I could use them for further training and spares when fixing older bikes for others. Just leaving them somewhere locked up and then letting them rot isn't nice, plus they take up space for those who need it.<br>
  • Have you ever been to Cambridge train station? All the bike racks are taken up by what appears to be hundreds of abandoned bikes.
  • :-( Sad, really. <br>
  • Saying that my brother did leave his bike locked up in York train station when he moved out. He came back to pick it up over two years later! Some of them are annoying when space is tight like Finsbury Park station.
  • Also, does anyone else get off their bikes and walk them on pedestrian crossings (when it's red for cars). I do this on Stroud Green Road all the time and wondered if I was alone!?
  • Nope. I'm the naughty one who looks left and right to see if the road is clear, then cycles ahead. Not so much on SGR, but I used to do it at Blackstock Rd. at the corner of the Ice Cafe. Not anymore as I'm going a different route. I do, however, turn left at SGR/Tollington Park when it's green for pedestrians. Though only, if there's nobody crossing the street.<br>
  • Aye. I think most people do that. My way is bending the rules a little bit though I think perfectly legal. I did it in front of a police car once and they didn't say anything.<div><br></div><div>To add to the idea of abandoned bikes. There is now a Trek bike outside Tesco with a Sports Direct bottle on it. Has been there for a decent while now and it appears someone has nicked the front wheel. It had a front wheel the other day and not it doesn't.</div>
  • Worth bearing the following things in mind.  Maybe people who locked their bikes and didn't reclaim them died or had a crisis.  For example locked their bike up before going into a shop or friend's house, had a heart attack....
  • What a terrible way for a poor bike to be left. Although I could imagine it may be in some cases. <br><br>I think my ideal way of dying, is hopefully at the age of 95, cycling along a nice way, then having a cardiac arrest. Fast, painless and during one of my most favourite activities. :-) <br><br>
  • The same age as Mandela. You might be celebrated for your contribution to cycling.  <div><br></div><div>By the way, I do think Mandela was a great man. </div>
  • So do I. Amazing man. <br>I doubt I'll ever be celebrated for anything. the only thing people will say about me is: she had a big gob. lol<br>
  • edited December 2013
    I had an incident last night cycling from Angel down to Holloway along Liverpool Rd which really annoyed me. As you probably know the Angel end of Liverpool Rd on one side the pavement is raised so cars park on the street which makes the road a lot narrower, there's also a couple of zebras. <div>I've nearly been doored on that road on several occasions so I cycle quite far away from the parked cars to avoid this. </div><div>Last night while cycling down the road I was being tailgated by someone who I motioned once to back off by waving at them, there was a car in front of me so I don't know where they thought they could go. As I approached a zebra near the Regent pub I saw someone about to cross so I stopped & the car managed just to stop inches from my back wheel. I turned round to ask them to back off but before I could say anything the young lady shouted 'get out of the middle of the road you should be on the left', when I told her where in the highway code does it say that she just revved her engine at me and said 'Haven't the police been telling you lot off recently'! I cycled on and couldn't be bothered to argue. <br>Now this is what annoyed me, it seems this police operation to make the roads safe seems to be interpreted by motorists as an operation by the police in telling cyclist off, we're in the wrong and most accidents are our fault. <br>This young lady could easily caused an accident by her over aggressive driving, I don't know why she was in such a hurry, it is a 20mph zone & I'm pretty sure I was near that speed anyhow, I really don't like it when someone tries to intimidate me with their vehicle. </div>
  • Gee, what an unpleasant experience. The 'thinking' that cyclists should be on the left seems to be a general one. Just because we're a lot 'slimmer' than a car we have to cycle in the gutter so cars can pass us. They don't do that to a smart or motorcycle, do they? Good thing you kept your calm, depending on my mood of the day, I'd probably blown her hair out of her face with my healthy set of lungs. Can't stand that attitude of bullying a cyclist just because they've got a car. <br><br>Had an almost accident recently--with another cyclist. I was in Finsbury Park Rd, wanting to turn left, the cyclist is at the corner of the pavement and sees me coming. He was standing until he saw me, then probably thought, oh well, if I start now I can get her. I managed to swerve so he missed me by centimetres. All I thought was: wanker! How about waiting until the cyclist you see coming your way has passed you? Some people are just too stupid for their own good.<br>
  • Stella I get that a lot too, cyclist coming from side roads or pavements to go left and just turning into me as I'm coming straight along the road. If I was a car, van, lorry they would wait so why not for fellow cyclists? 
  • Don't get it either. I'm not big on indication, unless it's on a main road or there's someone behind me, but hell, if I see a cyclist coming my way, I'll rather wait. Particularly when he's in full swing and I'm STANDING! What a moron! I doubt he'd have waited for a car either. No idea what his mission was, to be honest. <br>
  • It is probably because the cyclist wants to keep their momentum going
  • Which I understand, but endangering another person by doing that? That could be a long break from their momentum if it's going badly. Luckily, I slowed down significantly when I turned around the corner. Had I gone much faster and the idiot cycled into me, that would have hurt. <br>
  • edited December 2013
    Whilst waiting on Theberton St to turn left into Upper St, a motorist pulled up beside me to congratulate me on my 'excellent cycling'. She praised my indicating (in a timely manner) and said how much she appreciates knowing what other road users are doing in enough time to manoeuvre. So Stella, you jump red lights, don't bother to indicate, aren't bothered about using lights and don't believe in wearing a helmet? Do you at least wear something reflective so that people can see you at night, or do you expect other road users to read your mind and know where you are and what you are going to do?
  • Blimey, who stole your lunch today? Who said I don't bother about using lights? And I never said I don't bother to indicate, I just don't do it on every little corner. I do it when I feel that it's necessary to let the driver know where I'm going.<br>Gee, I'm not a road rowdy, so don't make me look like one. And no, I don't wear something reflective, my brightly flashing rear light and front light with new batteries should do the job.<br>
  • I suppose you and I differ in that I always feel the need to let other road users, know what I'm going to do so that they can plan what they need to do. I don't think you are rowdy, just irresponsible. I think all road users should obey all rules of the road.
  • If I were that bad, how come I've not had an accident in all those years of cycling? I know what I'm doing and I don't put others in danger. I use lights in the dark or when it's foggy/rainy/a dark day, I indicate when I'm crossing lanes and cars are behind me, and don't jump red lights, cycling directly into running traffic. I know what I'm doing, or you think I want to be smashed by a car/bus? Hardly, so I'll not be that stupid to risk my--or others'-- safety. Keep going with what you're doing, it's the right way.<br><br>And don't tell me you've never walked over the road when it was red, or when there was a traffic light two metres away, because I wouldn't believe you. :-)<br>
  • Matt - I was speaking to a friend about this the other day. It's interesting that you say there was a car in front of you and you were driving at the speed limit. The same goes for red traffic lights too. I think many car drivers have some kind of mental drive that if they see a cyclist they just have to overtake them, whether it's sensible or not. <div><br></div><div>What annoys me most is when they overtake going into a red light and then allow you no space to get past them into the cycle box!</div>
  • Peter, yes. Exactly that. Every time when I have a car behind me that can't overtake for the lack of space, I expect the motor to roar as soon as they can overtake you, only to come to a halt super close to the curb in front of a red light. I'm like 'excuse me, do you think I've just vanished into thin air?'<br>
  • I'm just back from Yorkshire (Wakefield), where I was talking to some colleagues about cycling. Their verdict was that cycling in London would be much easier than cycling in Yorkshire as we have less heavy traffic and thousands of cycle lanes, and because the traffic moves so slowly it's much safer. The news about the spate of cycling deaths isn't widely reported as it's local news for London, and they don't care for Boris's initiatives up there. Does one good to get out of the London bubble occasionally.
  • I was thinking about the (thankfully so) lack of recent death and am wondering why. I'm thinking that the only good thing coming from it is that cyclists (and probably lorry drivers) have become more careful. I wish we would end 2013 with no more death and none from then on.<br>
  • There are a lot lot less people cycling to work
  • Yeah, probably. Winter's having an effect. Or do you think it's because of the incidents?<br>
  • Probably a combination of both plus people go away or have parties so don't cycle. <div><br></div><div>This morning cycling down upper street there were police stationed a zebra crossing, they were trying to hide around the corners so motorist/cyclist couldn't see them. It was bit strange. </div>