Anyone know what happened on Fonthill Road today?

2»

Comments

• And in tonight's Standard. Seems to be same copy, word for word, as The Gazette
  • Also word-for-word in The Telegraph.
  • And, writing as an impoverished,  so called journalist, now just a Krappyrubsnif - I bet the person who wrote the original article never got paid a cent for all the lifts.<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@krappy - I read an interesting article about online journalism where someone who was recently turned over in a story like that writes:</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><em style="font-family: Georgia; font-size: 19px; line-height: 28.5px; background-color: rgb(240, 240, 240);">the online tabloid press just piled onto the story, sourcing each other, and churning out increasingly sensational and exaggerated headlines as fast as they could type them. I’ve never seen a story get so much play where nearly every reporter did no original reporting.</em></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">It's interesting because it was written by the guy who started Facebook, and he recognises it might be largely his fault.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://pandodaily.com/2013/06/27/sean-parker-is-right/</font></div></div>;
  • Isn't that how news agencies have always made their money?
  • Read this book by my friend and colleague Nick Davies (he of hackgate fame): Flat Earth News. He coined a word for it - churnalism.
  • I can't remember the club but there was a story a year or two ago where some fans on a football club forum realised that football journalists were lifting "exclusive" stories from their pages, so they made up a random story about a non-existent player and it found it's way in to the papers as fact.
  • edited June 2013
    'the online tabloid press just piled onto the story, sourcing each other, and churning out increasingly sensational and exaggerated headlines as fast as they could type them. I’ve never seen a story get so much play where nearly every reporter did no original reporting.'<br><br>Although done properly that may not be so bad a thing:<br><br>In these instances, actually the reporters are reporting something - they may not be investigating or heading down to the scene for their own quotes, but realistically if you are simply covering a 'wow, look at that Hey Doris story' such as this one, just reporting it happened may be enough.<br><br>Is it a sensible allocation of resources to have reporters heading out there on the ground hustling for more information and quotes?<br><br>Isn't that kind of frenzy and doorstepping making things more intrusive?<br><br>If you can simply do a story like this and use the quotes and information from elsewhere and allow that to put your journalists' resources to work investigating and explaining important things, isn't that better?<br><br>A caveat should be every single one of the reports in this case should be quoting and linking back to the Islington Gazette and no proud writer should be simply parroting someone else's words<br><br>Perhaps also our local newspapers need to think about selling their stories better to fund grassroots journalism and better protecting their intellectual copyright? (Although looks here like Archant at least got paid for the pics.)<br><br>I'm no fan of easy celebrity and twitter feed stories, but journalism has changed with the internet. Holding on to the old model of a pack of reporters on the ground at every event just because that's how it has always been done, is not the way forward.<br><br>The true test of a press is how it holds the rich, powerful and important to account and fights readers' corners on important issues - not how it covers picture and showbusiness stories.<br>
  • Meanwhile, the Chicago Sun Times fires its entire photojournalist squad.