Londoners

edited February 2007 in General chat
Having a "start a topic" day because I'm supposed to be preparing a script for tomorrow and I'm too scared to start! So, here's my question: As a random sampling of people who live in north London (I know Pete), can I ask how many of us are actually Londoners? By that I mean who was born (and partly raised here) and who has come from distant parts (such as Australia, Scotland or Swindon). Just curious because in my immediate circle I seem to be the only one.

Comments

• LizLiz
    edited 9:29AM
    Well, not me, as you know, but I've lived in London for longer than I've ever lived anywhere else (in terms of areas) and also in my current flat for longer than anywhere else (in terms of individual houses, etc) - almost 6 years. Perhaps that explains why I'm quite reluctant to move...
  • edited 9:29AM
    Well, born Romford so Greater London, not central London. Not sure that counts. But lived in Camden for c.10 years before a little detour of living near main stations (Liverpool st, Kings Cross) before landing here.
    I have been in London now just over 10 years, but I am not born in London (nor Britain for that matter).
    I was born in Newport Pagnell, grew up in Cambridge ... but have lived in London now for 15 years ... do I qualify?
  • edited February 2007
    Durham 3 years, London 4 years, Newcastle 8 years, Edinburgh 7 years, Lyon (France) 2 years, Germany 1 year, London 8 years. What does that make me?

Confused, 33, Stroud Green.
  • edited February 2007
    Most people I know who grew up in London sodded off to Bristol & Brighton years ago, but theres still a few about. They're like foxes, rare/hard to spot but around.
  • edited February 2007
    Despite me and Andy being born halfway along the M4, we do come from at least 5 generations of Londoners. We believe 4 of those generations ended up in Margate.
    Despite 10 years or so in London, whichever way you cut it I'm a proud son of Wessex.
  • edited February 2007
    There does seem to be a common trend that growing up in the city compulses them to head to the sea in later life.
    I have been tempted by Brighton and parts of Dorset before now, I have to confess. Hastings had a strong allure for a while. Four eyes - you've moved around even more than I have. I have to confess to London 10 years, Aberdeen 6 years, Yorkshire 3 years, Oxford 3 years, London 10(ish) years, Perigueux 18 months. Simon B. seems to have lived here for the longest consecutive period with his 15 years. Supplementary question, who considers themselves a Londoner?
  • LizLiz
    The Wirral 5 years, Edinburgh, 1 year, Haddington 6 years, Bishops Stortford 3 years, King's Lynn 4 years, Oxford 3 years (Cambridge in the holidays), London 10 years. Looking at it from another angle, I've lived in 22 houses (definition = places where I've had my own bedroom - includes houses my dad lived in after splitting up with my mum when I was about 9). That's an average of 1.4 years per house... So, on that basis, 10 years in London + 6 years in this flat definitely means I consider myself a Londoner.
  • edited February 2007
    Hmm, I think if you embrace the city you can call yourself a Londoner straight away. Its a state of mind, y'all. I've lived in London 14 years, but I don't consider myself any more London than after my first year here. But I'll always be an Essex Boy from _Nam_.
  • LizLiz
    Great use of Nam, David. And, as an ex-Tottenham resident myself, extremely appropriate.
    We also had a particularly horrid small shopping district called Heathway in Dagenham which we called Hamburger Hill.