Finsbury Park future

edited June 2013 in Local discussion
Just came across this draft planning document for Finsbury Park. Has been developed by the three councils as part of a attempt to create a more joined up approach to the area in the future. Is due to be consulted on next month (including a few sessions at the Park Theatre I think).<div><br></div><div>Quite an interesting (if dry) stock take of the area. <span style="font-size: 10pt;">But worth trawling through to p36 just for the artists impression of Station Place in the future! Goodbye Rowans and buses! Large amount of artistic license I assume. </span></div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://mginternet.hackney.gov.uk/documents/s30700/LHR H3 CDM_n6358452_v1_Appendix_1_-_Finsbury_Park_SPD_-_Consultation_Version_-_FINAL.pdf">http://mginternet.hackney.gov.uk/documents/s30700/LHR H3 CDM_n6358452_v1_Appendix_1_-_Finsbury_Park_SPD_-_Consultation_Version_-_FINAL.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/div&gt;

Comments

• Good that they are actively consulting - the nasty flats on the JJ site and the fortress like plans for City North went through without any wider discussion on what this plan interesting describes as FP 'town centre'. Just isolated planning applications ushered through - no creative vision. The new Rowans area looks like Milton Keynes but some people like that. Please everyone get involved or it will look like wood green shopping shitty. Chang
  • edited June 2013
    I know people keep talking about Whole Foods and flat whites, but if this doesn't end up looking like Nags Head Shopping Centre I'll be amazed. There'll be a Cash4Gold, a Betfred and a Subway pumping out that slightly sweet, slightly toxic smell that cloys the back of your neck.<div><br></div><div>(Seriously, how do people even go into Subway, can't you smell it? It's so industrial, like someone is mixing caramel and diesel. It's what I imagine fracking smells like).</div>
  • But Subway tastes so delicious! Mmm... Subway...
  • But if any bit of Finsbury Park has the potential to not to be full of Cash4Gold, betting shops etc. then this is surely it?<br><br>Would certainly be a bit more welcoming to come out of the station.<br><br>I'm confused why the development block between Wells Terrace and Morris Place is not identified as an opportunity for development.<br>
  • @yagamuffin, that's only because fags have destroyed your tastebuds!
  • I like the Wells Terrace exit as it is. Look straight ahead - a few shop, theatre, trees. Look left trees, a few shops, houses. Look right, handy bus station. Why the obsession with shops, skyscrapers and closing in the space? Oh, and there's a Money Shop going in to Muswell Hill soon so I doubt we'll be going upmarket any time soon. I do not want flat whites, fluorescent lit shops and Whole Foods, I want trees.
  • @NorthNineteen<;br><br>I believe the block between Wells Terrace and Morris Place is also owned by the City North group, so once they have sold enough of the main development to safely develop that block I'm sure they will do but doing it all at once would be risky I suspect. Perhaps Arkady will know more about this!<br>
  • Nags Head Centre is grim (although they do have a Moss Bross for wedding hire!). Can't imagine this grim stuff going up in Highgate, how come we allow it. Please make some noise and get a better result or FP station will be as horrible as Hammersmith or as strange as Moray Road on steroids Chang
  • edited June 2013
    Chang just how can a road take steroids? What does it do? Does it take them interdrainaly? And having looked at the planning doc it sounds like a place I don't know. Finsbury Park Town Centre err where is that exactly?
  • Just think of Moray Road on Halloween transported to Blade Runner with residents like zombies and huge cats jumping up concrete towers and packs of WI types attacking with knitting needles and Rowans just a distant memory of a drunken arsenal fan left for dead on the Town Centre supersonic monorail . Like that. I agree town centre sounds wrong. But the place is changing. Even Lorne Road is set for some shocks I hear. Chang
  • I like Nag's Head for the fabric shop, fruit & veg and threading. Chang you must visit Stroud Green one day, I think you'd like it.
  • edited June 2013
    Dude get yourself a sex change as you obviously have a fetish for the WI.
  • Chang, you need to check the sell-by date on your 'roids.
  • There's no such thing as a WI 'type'. There is, however, such a thing as a sexist stereotype which delights in its own ignorance.
  • edited June 2013
    Andy, don't follow but I am guessing you are sophisticated . Det, maybe I is a lezza? ! (Joke ). (To be honest I don't know the WI but Moray Road is quite well appreciated round these parts) Annie , come round to Nandos on a thurs I am always there and we will happily buy you a peri peri wotsit. And one of them nice custard tarts. Vet, go to bed. Please. Turn off the telly. Put the bottle away. And the magazine . Go on. All I will say to the dear mates above is pls get involved in the consultation. Chang.
  • Go Vetski. Go Vetski. Go Vetski. (waves pom poms)
  • You see, I just usually ignore the sniping about WI, Chang loves winding people up and I just can't be bothered.
  • I have a horrible sinking feeling gripping my bowels. I think Chang may be my next door neighbour.
  • edited December 2017
  • Annie, quite agree about Wells Terrace. If I'm not running late I will go that way even when it's slightly out of my way, just for the ambience.
  • It's good that the three councils are working together on this and I think viewing the area around Finsbury Park station as a 'town centre' is a decent approach from planning (if not historic) purposes. The whole area round the station (as well as the station itself) desperately needs overhauling, and I could not agree less with people who think Wells Terrace looks alright at the moment. It is a complete mess.<br><br>What worries me in that document is where it says on p15 (and again later on) that the new western entrance to the underground inside City North is going to replace the current Wells Street entrance. I had assumed it was going to be in addition to it.<br><br>So if you're walking down from Stroud Green Road to the tube in the morning you'll now have to walk right across to the opposite side of the station on Fonthill Rd and then in through a shopping mall. And with the introduction of ticket barriers plus however many extra people living in all the new flats it's going to be queue-tastic. Don't want to be miserable but that doesn't sound much like an improvement to me<br>
  • I thought they were putting in a big new ticket hall to replace the present one at Wells Terrace - with tunnel entrance as now. No?<br><br>Arkady, get your mobile phone and laptop recharged - we need you.<br>
  • <div><span style="font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"The only thing necessary for sexism to triumph is for good women to do nothing" (with apologies to Edmund Burke, or whoever really said/wrote the original).</span></div><div><br></div>@Jackson, I only skimmed the consultation document briefly the other day, so I'm very glad you've pointed out the station issue. Bad idea. Very bad. A new entrance is certainly needed, to improve accessibility among other things, but taking away Wells Terrace is plain daft. <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • "Choose your battles wisely, the key is to choose those you know you can win" You can say whatever you like to Chang, and many have. It won't make any difference. The very fact that WI is flourishing while men haven't come up with anything equivalent for men says it all really. I think that the issue is jealousy rather than sexism. Anyway. Leave Wells Terrace alone.The last thing we need is s garish old mall.
  • I totally agree with Miss Annie and others on this one.  I walk out of Finsbury tube station.  I don't like the tunnel, but I see a new theatre, trees, walk up Chartris road and onto Tollington Park, past a lovely chippy, Vitors hairdressor and other lovely shops, walk up Stroud Green road and home.  This arkady.
  • The visuals are unbelievably ugly - all those blocks cutting out the light - will be like the grim liner buildings near kings cross off the Cally with their ever hopeful BBQ sets on broken balconies. Ps I love the WI and only send them up out of affection. Chang
  • I'm mostly back from Glastonbury, mostly.<br><br>The existing plans for Finsbury Park station retain the Wells Terrace entrance, though the ticket hall there will become secondary to the new one in the City North development.  Hard to imagine that changing.<br><br>It is indeed curious that the block between the station and John Jones is not highlighted as a development area, though City North are expected to bring forward plans for that site in due course.  I'm also interested that the small Network Rail site opposite Vista is no longer earmarked for redevelopment.<br><br>I like the idea of the Rowans/Lidl corner being redeveloped to improve access to the park, particularly as they make it clear that the pub would stay.<br>
  • <P>Are the shops opposite  Doctori  eveergoing to get tennants, it is a right mess.?</P> <P>They should also  celebrate  that the  Beatles played their first gig in London at the Majestic</P>
  • Just been reading through this, it has the potential to really shape Finsbury Park and environs so if there something you want to say about the local area (particularly the retail areas) then this is your opportunity.  One of the most important, and encouraging aspects, is that Islington/Haringey/Hackney are working together.  I will definitely be making representations.<br><br>It not only covers FInsbury Park itself but also SGR (up to Stapleton Hall Road), Fonthill Road and Blackstock Road.<br><br>Also, there are some drop-in sessions which may interest people:<br><br><h2 class="lbi-Element-Heading2">We are holding three drop-in information sessions in the area during the consultation period:   </h2> <ul><li><div class="lbi-Element-Normal">Saturday 13 July 2013, 11am - 2pm, N4 Library, 26 Blackstock Road, London N4 2DW<br><br></div></li><li><p class="lbi-Element-Normal">Monday 15 July 2013, 5pm - 8pm, The Park Theatre, Clifton Terrace, London N4 3JP</p></li><li><p class="lbi-Element-Normal">Tuesday 16 July 2013, 3pm - 6pm, The Park Theatre, Clifton Terrace, London N4 3JP</p></li></ul><br>