What's with all the silly spam?

edited July 2013 in General chat
What's wrong with people to invade a forum with their stupid, useless spam? <br><br>I'm a spam allergic. <br>

Comments

• It's what spammers do, alas. <br><br>Someone hired me a few weeks ago to clear out a forum which had been completed infested with spam - it wasn't pretty!<br>
  • Poor Andy & David, must be a pain clearing that up every morning.
  • Yeah. As if the silly fights weren't enough. :-( Running a forum is hard work and such people make it all the more difficult.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2013
    I don't get into such arguments, mainly because I just click the little cross to the right and let the person starve at arm's length. Can't be bothered to argue with a person over the Internet, particularly if I've never met the person in the flesh. I've seen plenty of arguments on the Internet and the only reason they go on is because nobody calls it a day and everyone has to give their own 2p, taking sides.<br>There was only one incident (other forum) where a guy told lies about me, and tried to ruin my professional reputation, but I never resort to calling anyone names. <br><br>Don't get me wrong, you have every right to be angry, but shooting exactly the same bile at someone isn't making you any better in this situation. And no, I don't want this discussion to turn into yet another argument either. All I'm saying is that I didn't like what I saw. Simples. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2013
    I understand that this topic hits some of your hot buttons, but when making the remark about silly arguments, it was more in general. Though this recent one was nasty, there were a few beforehand, too.<br><br>Anyhow, I'm wondering where those spammers come from. In the 1.5 years on this forum, I've not seen anything like it. Might be that I've missed them. Guess it's bots or something because we were talking about German food. Just weird.<br>
  • The spammers have been at it first thing every morning for last couple of weeks.
  • Oh, okay. How annoying. Must be Google's fault then. <br>
  • There was an issue a while ago with lots of spam accounts registering, remember? <br><br>And of course that trend of multiple accounts being set up from the same IP address solely to rave about a specific restaurant... <br>
  • I don't remember, but it's probably to do with the registration thread that was going? It was at a time when I visited only sporadically, I think.<br>