The Stroud Green Directory

edited February 2007 in About this site
OK everyone, I've got the directory up and running again, tab next to 'Discussions' up the top there. Thing is I was a bit dim and until my luck turns, I've lost the previous data that was on there. Can we all pitch in again and start populating the map again? I've put some basic categories in, but feel free to request others. I've kicked things off with the peerless Waffle On.

Comments

• edited 7:36PM
    Can we get the welcome page back too? I'd like the 'N4/N4 curious' bit on there (and the kind link you had to my F. Park on Flickr)
    ah yeah. We might have to remake that too. Though a redesign is on its way that will kill that page, though we could just turn it into an "about" page i suppose.
    Found it...
    Come on people. I worked hard to get that directory map back up.
    I've just tried adding Tollingtons but having trouble with the map. I think I've placed it out at sea somewhere?
    that old chestnut. i've grown to love that small spot several thousand miles west of sao tome and principe. It's lat 0 and long 0 - not sure where the mistake is.
    looks like there's a bit of a save/update issue
    Joy of joys. Think its an Explorer issue, either of you using Firefox and its not working?
    Firefox here. I found the location fine. Went to save and the map vanished.
    me on firefox
    I am on explorer at the moment and it's not working, tried to add something but comes up with an error message
    never seen four of us on line at any time...Woo
    ...and then there were three...
    ah, just seen that my entry on the directory has been saved. cool. David fixed it all!!!
    ok, its working. if you're location ends up just off the african coast and most definately not in stroud green, you probably forgot to click on the map before pressing save. I know it sounds silly but i just did it and my spot ended up with the tollington fish bar in the middle of the ocean. i'll put some code in to prevent that soon...
  • edited April 2007
    I've just spent about half an hour adding some of my favourite places in the area.

David: delete is a bit weird in Safari. it apparently deletes, but the map display doesn't update to show it's worked.
    That 'just off the coast of equatorial guinea' thing is brilliant. It comes when lat and long are both set to zero.

I learned this when we did a project and put a load of adult education centres in dorset and hampshire in Sao Tome and Principe.

We learn by doing...
    Ha. "Off the coast of equatorial guinea" is up there with "1st Jan 1970". Delete is currently dodgy at best. Matt, wanna apply for membership [here](http://www.dkltd.net/vanilla) and share some views? I wanna keep the geek stuff away from this board.
    I've got little input other than complaining :)

What else I do have I post at the official Vanilla board.
    complaining seems to be the way these things develop.
    in that case, have you noticed it's currently pretty slow to load the directory page? how many db calls is it doing?
    Argh! Eugene's lair!
    matt, you've committed a terrible sin in Lucy's eyes. Never talk code unless the thread's category is Eugene's Lair... It's not slow for me. But just to annoy Lucy: There's only one db call, so its not that. It sometimes slows down on the google code side of things, not much i can do there. Also some of the mac browsers (camino at least) doesn't seem to render the map as fast, whether that's google's javascript or mine I'm not sure but its not the db call. And anyway, Lucy was discussing DVD manuals on here so she's a fine one to complain.
    i still have no idea what you're talking about and I don't believe that I started the DVD thingy. Think you're confusing me with the other geeky half.
    Just a quick heads-up so that people add some new places to the Directory.
    I've just spent a few minutes correcting a few places that were blatantly in the wrong spot on the Map, such as the school which is at the junction of Perth Road and Woodstock road, not Ennis Road. If people could zoom in fully when adding items it makes it easier to get them accurate. Thanks!
    i've added big red. thought it may be a bit far afield but then saw there were a couple of other places on holloway road. there were a couple of other places i had in mind but can't remember now…
    also added hana, the new sushi place on 7 sisters. notable for being very good food and for free delivery!
    Can people please zoom in fully before they add items to the map, it makes it much easier to plot the point accurately. Thanks! map nazi, matt
    top notch map nazification, matt