Andy Murray

edited July 2013 in Local discussion
I congratulate him but in all honesty he is not great in interviews. Think of Becks, Rooney, Gazza, Higgins, Bristow etc and you always got a good sound bite. Andy seems half asleep . Chang

Comments

• <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.600000381469727px; line-height: 14.399999618530273px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">feminist writer Chloe Angyal:</span><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.600000381469727px; line-height: 14.399999618530273px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"> "Murray is indeed the first Brit to win Wimbledon in 77 years unless you think women are people"</span>
  • Quite. The headlines have made me extremely cross, there have been FOUR British ladies champions at Wimbledon in the seventy seven years since a man last won. It's a jolly good acheivement but Andy Murray isn't even the first member of his own family to win a Wimbledon title.
  • edited July 2013
    <font size="2" face="Arial">The lack of a British Men's Singles champion at Wimbledon was probably the biggest albatross in all sport, anywhere. Pat Cash said that Federer would never have won as many titles as he has, had he been British, because the pressure would have been too much.</font><div style="font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial" size="2"><br></font></div><div style="font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial" size="2">Look at this list: </font><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wimbledon_gentlemen's_singles_champions</span></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">1877-1909: All Brits bar 1907 (blast you, Norman Brookes)</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">1909-2013: No Brits (except Fred Perry)</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">It's astonishing. In no other sport has one team/person/nation's dominance collapsed so completely. </font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">There are lots of reasons for this, about globalisation and tennis, but Murray's achievement is pretty special in that context and the fact that his brother won a doubles game once doesn't really have much to do with it.  </font></div>
  • I'm not disputing the fact that he is good at tennis and it's nice to have a British champion. What I find galling is the 'First Brit for 77 years' headlines. No recognition of ladies' acheivement. Unsurprising but still annoying.
  • @andy<;br><br>The New York Yacht Club's America's Cup record?  Undefeated for 117 years (longest run in sport), then lost and since then haven't even got to the point of being a challenger!<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@NorthNineteen - great, great fact. your pub quizzes must be fantastic.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">@missannie - but that argument's a little bit of an aunt sally, isn't it? None of these headlines, for example, actually say "British winner". They say "British Man", or "Men's champion" in either the headline or the subtitle. The Independent says 'men's champion'. The Times is probably most unclear, but refers to it in the subtitle. The Sun says "Brit Man". The Telegraph, well, is the Telegraph.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.guardian.co.uk/m</font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">edia/gallery/2013/jul/08/andy-murray-wimbledon-2013-front-pages#/?picture=412359212&index=0</span></div>
  • @Andy, Didn't Pat Cash also say that Federer would never win Wimbledon? @Northnineteen - ace trivia
  • edited July 2013
    But it's a different competition? The Guardian's own collection of front pages isn't consistent with its own article.
  • Why is it that people, especially it seems the British, always need to find something to moan about, even when a Brit wins something.<div style="font-style: normal;">If you had any interest in Tennis and watched any of the coverage over the last however many years then you would know only too well that Virgina Wade won Wiimbledon back in the seventies.</div><div style="font-style: normal;">The BBC commentators were always qualifying the statement, saying the Murray is the first Briton to win the Men's competition in 77 years.</div><div>People are moaning about newspaper headlines without reading the stories which all seem to mention he is the first Brit to win the Men's competition. <i>Andy Murray becomes first Briton to win Gentleman's Singles at The Wimbledon Championships in 77 years</i> is hardly a snappy headline!</div>
  • Meh. I'm with @Andy and @Yagamyffin here. I hope there'll be an equal amount of fuss if Laura Robson wins.
  • Point taken.  Really enjoyed the final and the semi-final was even better.
  • @yagamuffinI';m fairly interested in tennis, having actually got up at 4am to join the queue for Wimbledon tickets for about 15 years in a row.
  • My point about interest was that you will have heard the TV commentary constantly going on about Virginia Wade.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Doesn't sound very comfortable.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.