Pools

edited August 2013 in Local discussion
I recently had an ankle injury and because it's taking a while I thought I'd try to get into swimming (although I have to push myself a bit, not really enjoying the thought). Does anybody have any views on the local pools? Any recommendations? I know that krappy goes to Highbury Corner, but how about e. g. the one in Clissold leisure centre? Or others that I may not know about? What are the best times to go? Etc. etc.

Comments

• Ironmonger row, London Fields, Kentish Town baths, Marsham St (Soho) and Endell St (Covent Garden) are my favorites and as they're all run by the same non-profit £30 pcm gets you membership of all of them, plus another 50, including (I think) Clissold Park, which I've never been to. Hampsted Heath ladies' pond is close to paradise and free. Archway pool is grimness on grimness. This blog is very useful and well written: http://swimmingroundlondon.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1
  • Clissold Park is great - especially because lane-swimming is available at all times they are open. This is not the case with any of the others. 
  • Thanks, M & m, very helpful! Will start at Clissold Park, but also want to try at least the one in Ironmonger Row. With the list mentioned above I assume membership is valid across boroughs?<div>(...Now all I need is somebody who teaches me how to <i>enjoy </i>swimming<i>. </i>Maybe that blog will help)</div>
  • Try park road pool crouch end, nice lido if u avoid the chip van. Chang
  • @Marquis, Yes, membership is valid across boroughs - there's even a pool in York.
  • In theory, Better's Swim-only membership is part of the UK Fitness network - as are other pool operators in London.    Not yet put this to the test, but expect it might take some convincing of the staff on duty - particularly at Park Road.<div><br></div><div>BTW: Park Road - Lido great, mean pool, really grotty. </div>
  • marko - thanks, that explains why the guy with whom I signed up insisted that my membership would only apply to pools in Hackney. Can't wait to try the one in York! Park Road wasn't really on the agenda because I hear awful stories of cashmere fluff from jumpers over swimwear floating in the water.
  • Interesting to read this thread. I'm a member at Park Road because it's the nearest. The lido is a wonderful asset, but the indoor pool, I agree, has to be the grottiest I've ever been to. The whole complex is having a referb this winter so with any luck it may improve. So do would my Haringey leisure centres card allow me into Hackney pools?
  • Just to be clear, I was referring to another thread when talking about jumpers over swimwear/fluf in the water, not to reality!
  • Park Road is heavily under-maintained but the baby pool is good for kids and it has diving boards, which are great if open.<br>
  • Details here: http://www.better.org.uk/membership_details#faqcat_11 It is a spectacularly good deal if you swim regularly. Especially in winter - pools are a lot quieter then.
  • Assuming you're a lane swimmer:<div><br></div><div>- Park Road lido is 50m and ideal in the mornings in the Summer. Not too busy and has a nice atmosphere. The pool is 'rustic' but perfectly functional and the water very clean. But expensive (£4.50)</div><div>- Gospel Oak is 60m, with a metal bottom(!), and busier than Park Road. But it stays open all winter (unheated!), when it is much quieter for obvious reasons. And cheaper in the morning (about £2 I think).</div><div>- Heath ponds are great. Super cheap (even if you pay the entrance!) and natural. They are not for everyone, but offer a great chance to swim in un-chlorinated water in the city. And open all winter.</div><div>- London fields is 50m, open all year and heated by biomass boilers. Gets busy though and for me is too hot in the summer for serious swimming, but great in the midst of winter for outdoor swimming. Think it's £3.50.</div><div><br></div><div>If you really get into it these guys: <a href="http://tri-roots.com/" style="font-size: 10pt;">http://tri-roots.com/</a> run open-water swim events for all standards at interesting locations in the capital. I last swam with them in the East reservoir.</div><div><br></div><div>p.s. I never swim indoors!</div>
  • <P>Mirandola - thanks again. Strangely, the membership that includes gym use and costs £15 more is limited to the borough, whereas the £30 swimming-only version covers all! (I think it's possible to switch without penalty).</P> <P>Nick - impressive! The unheated Gospel Oak pool sounds just my kind of fun!</P>
  • @nick_m I heard that the done thing is not to pay for Hampstead ponds as regular users don't like the fees and want people not to pay them to fight back.<br><br>Is that true?<br>
  • I have been actively told by another swimmer not to pay the fee as I have been putting money into the machine. But, who pays the lifeguards? Who maintains the facilities? Who monitors the water quality (every day - you can check it and it's surprisingly good!)? It's all well and good for regulars to want free access, but they all use the facilities and nothing comes for free.<div><br></div><div>I suppose you could argue the council should pay, but they don't for any other pools, so why is Hampstead different? Not paying to 'fight back' sounds like classic libertarian bullshit.</div><div><br></div><div>I have no problem paying to see the facilities maintained.</div>
  • Park road Lido is always a bit cagey about whether the pools is heated or not.   They describe the water as being 'recirculated' - possibly from the main pool.   Can be pretty chilly when it's not a hot day.  Lots of the regulars wear wet-suits!
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/swimmers_fury_over_hampstead_heath_ponds_charges_1_1237527</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Most Hampstead objections ever. I think it's a general objection to marketisation of something wild, even though it obviously isn't wild.</font></div>
  • I swim at the Hampstead lido (not to be confused with the Hampstead ponds) in the mornings before work. It's the nicest pool I've come across in London and the staff are also incredibly nice. <div><br></div><div>I go before work and it's £2. Gets pricier (£4 something) after the morning slot though. </div><div><br></div><div>It's not heated though. It's starting to get pretty chilly - I've managed to survive thus far without a wetsuit but might have to invest in one soon! </div><div><br></div><div>See pgs 54-58 of this PDF for timings and price. http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/green-spaces/hampstead-heath/news/Documents/Hampstead-heath-events-diary-2013.pdf</div>;