Hatchet job

edited November 2013 in Local discussion
I couldn't remember if there were still the two DIY shops on Stroud Green Road, or just the one, so asked in the firework shop. Oh no, I was told: the owner of the other one killed himself after doing his missus in, over a year ago. Is this true, does anyone know?! <br>

Comments

• There used to be a very nice old coloured man who ran a very crowded DIY shop near the Mind shop. He always had radio 3 on and a black and white film playing on a mini telly. He was a one off. Forget Haberdashery. Chang
  • @ChangN4N6, did you know that 'coloured' is no longer considered an appropriate term for those of mixed race?
  • @vetski - he does it deliberately to wind up who he sees at the pinko lefties on here. ignore him
  • @tomp, am giving him the benefit of the doubt...there are still quite a few people around who think that it's a polite term (usually somewhat older than Chang's likely age, I think), and I correct every single one of them I come across. After that, no excuses. And no-one in anything approaching their right minds could possibly imagine I'm a pinko leftie!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2013
    Yes, I did think he was black rather than m-r, but I hadn't been in there for so long before it closed that I wasn't sure. 
  • Tomp - some guy at work uses the N word and says it is fine. I don't use it. I would not like to be called chinky. Coloured is a polite term and I've never heard any person object. My neighbour is one and that's the word she uses (she's not 'mixed race' ) . Anyway the point is he was a great shop owner. Chang
  • edited November 2013
    @changn4n6 - I think the thing about words like that in general is that it's not reasonable to assume how someone might take it. You might think it polite, but many others may consider it offensive. You don't get to make the rules about what's polite or what isn't without reference to anyone else. It's something people have to work out together. <div><br></div><div>And to your main point, the chap in the DIY shop was a lovely guy. Always wore fingerless gloves, in my mind.</div>
  • @ChangN4N6, you have now heard someone object. 'Coloured' was used as a 'polite' term in the 70s - I hated it even as a child because I knew this: that its origin is the term 'Cape Coloured', used for people who were/appeared to be of mixed-race in South Africa during the apartheid years, when being somewhat paler was the less unacceptable version of 'black'. It is not a polite term now.<div><br></div><div>To return to OP's post: What??! Haven't heard anything about such an incident.</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I liked that DIY shop and the helpful bloke who ran it, if this is true it is a fairly shocking tale. <br>There is nothing to be found in a quick Google of the local press and you'd think there would be.<br>
  • @Misscara, I think it's the one which was more or less next to X-IT. Haven't found anything online either - my husband used to go in there for various bits & pieces, I'll ask him later if he knows why it closed.
  • @vetski I believe 'mixed race' is now also a bit out of date. PC moves fast! Not sure what replaces it - it could be 'bi-cultural'. The concept of race is perhaps considered rather dodgy - only one race, the human race?? Not sure. PS. Not a pinko leftie, Vetski? Shame on you!
  • Yes, well, regardless of his skin colour - I believe 'black' is the expression my black friends use - that is the man who allegedly killed his wife and himself. Though you're right, I couldn't find anything on Google. <br>
  • And it's now the Italian deli, I guess<br>
  • @checkski, there was a move in the US to 'dual heritage', but it hasn't really taken off here, fortunately. Mixed race is still the usual term. <div><br></div><div>P.S. I'm married to a commie pinko, does that soothe you (if not me)?!</div>
  • edited November 2013
    The man who killed himself and his wife was running the newer hardware store that was open for a few years that closed about two years ago where the Italian deli is now. It was called N & A.  I heard about the incident from a neighbour and was a bit shocked as I used to go in there now and again. I looked it up online a year ago and it was in a local paper.  Can't find it now.<div><br></div><div>It's not the man who was in the older hardware store with the mittens.<br><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><br></div></div>
  • @ed man (mittens etc) is not implicated in any of this . He was absolutely great and probably an early hero of SG before the likes of Vitor, Paola and Gita. I must say he is missed. Horrible that these other ppl were driven to this violence. Chang