Oh, (don't) think twice, its just another day for you and me in Pancakes Paradise

edited November 2013 in Local discussion
First visit today. I couldn't believe it when it opened as a pancake place after the luke warm reception to the home of the £9.95 pancake...Dudley's. I suspect the owners of PP don't have access to that sort of local economic history. Time will tell whether a time machine would have come in handy.<div><br></div><div>I like it. Its VERY eastern european, and the menu is bizarre to some degree, but they've done it out nicely and they're the kind of owners you want to see do well. Friendly, attentive and proud. If the local eastern european market has scale, they might be ok, otherwise i think they'll need to change their menu a bit. I think Brits going to a pancake house called "Pancakes Paradise" expect numerous fairly simple savoury and sweet offers, whereas this place does a goulash pancake or a pork schnitzel variant! I had a cheese, mushroom and ham option and while it was ok, it wasn't quite what i had in mind. The mushrooms were the type that are super small/sliced fine, fried with onion and end up like a grey mush. They served it all with red cabbage, sauerkraut and paprika sauce. I paid £4.90 and it would get a 6/10.</div><div><br></div><div>Like previous posters have mentioned, i don't think it will last. You've got to sell a lot of pancakes to break even, and i just don't think the people of Stroud Green are that into pancakes! Maybe if they changed the menu slightly so that there was a distinct split between "traditional" and "a taste from Hungary", then people would warm to it a bit more. If it became a "Hungarian Pancake House" (flags, dish names, pictures) rather than a "pancake house run by hungarians with a translated menu", i think it would have its niche and have a better chance. Its a little confused at the moment in my opinion. I'd want to eat some genuine Hungarian style pancakes but i'd find it helpful if they told me a bit about them, and made it obvious that thats what they were. If you go you'll see what i mean.</div><div><br></div><div>I've made a massive assumption in thinking it was Hungarian, so i might be wrong. Comments would apply whatever nationality. I had a funny moment with the owner when i ordered a diet coke, and he shouted "cock!", and i said, "diet coke", and he said "oh, diet cock!". Many of my friends would have given him a medal for shouting that at me. And he did shout it too.</div><div><br></div><div>Have a look in, have a pancake, form an opinion......it'll cost you £6 with a drink.</div>

Comments

• I'm pretty sure they aren't Hungarian, I'll found out.<br>
  • BEST HEADLINE ON THIS SITE IN YEARS!
  • @ Andy<div><br></div><div>Totally agree! </div><div><br></div><div>May give the place a go...where is it exactly?</div>
  • Tossers. They do a great job of tossing crepes, lovely service, and I think one of them lives round the corner in Lorne Road. The Nutella one is great but not Hungarian. Chang
  • I haven't been yet, but agree that it looks a bit anonymous and a quirky 'Hungarian Pancake House' would be more appealing. Talking of which, the Gay Hussar is under threat: www.goulash.org.uk
  • edited November 2013
    I think the GH is not just under threat but definitely on its last knockings. Grace Dent summed it up it up well in the ES magazine last night, it needs to do exactly the kinds of things @Brodiej suggests above, and become a curiosity again. I went a bit in the 80's when I worked round the corner and it was charmingly timewarpy then. Last went about five or six years ago, and it just seemed sad.
  • Oh I don't know. Went a couple of years ago and rather liked it.
  • I had a quick one last week. Meaning, I wanted a quick bite before heading into the Dairy for the weekly quiz. And exactly for that reason it was perfect... I was the only customer though, so serving me quickly wasn't exactly difficult. However, I was rather surprised with the meal. It included nice salad, and that quirky Hungarian sauce that I actually really like. I would rate it 7/10, but would like to add that I would not go there with my partner
  • I had a meal at the Gay Hussar fairly recently, and it just wasn't good. Restaurants in London can't survive just on nostalgia. <br>
  • Same goes for Hard Rock Cafe . It's still busy but quality has gone down, prices up, and the clientele is not so good looking anymore (except me). Chang
  • Noticed a sign outside the pancake place yesterday which said 'Polish Pancakes'.