Wireless Festival 2014 - Finsbury Park

Comments

• Horrible, doesn't surprise me.<div><br></div><div>Dont know if they put up better signs later it was very early in the day,  they could not point out any stating it was a restricted area to Mr T at the time. Not that he was caring , more interested in finding a burger and happy to leave the 'restricted area, thrown out the park completely ridiculous.</div><div><br></div><div>If these events are to be that regular maybe the park would be better providing its own local properly trained security than these s called 'security ' firms. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited February 2014
    <div>oops</div><div><br></div>
  • edited February 2014
    I think Chang was trying to push it real good.   Well, Horsey road is perhaps the old school central Brooklyn area.<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">t's good there's a bit of variety at Finsbury Park and the hip hop crowd are getting a look in.  I'm more of a Public Enemy and Grandmaster Flash man myself, but I'm middle-aged.</span></div>
  • "<span style="line-height: 1.22em; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">As someone who responded to the consultation held earlier in the year, regarding events in parks, we wanted you to be aware that Finsbury Park will be hosting the Wireless Festival over three days in July – Friday 4, Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 – with headline acts including Kayne West, Drake and Bruno Mars.</span><p class="ecxMsoNormal" style="line-height: 15.859999656677246px; margin: 0px 0px 1.35em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Georgia; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="line-height: 1.22em; color: black;"><u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u> <u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u></span></p><p class="ecxMsoNormal" style="line-height: 15.859999656677246px; margin: 0px 0px 1.35em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Georgia; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="line-height: 1.22em; color: black;">The council has put together information for residents and visitors to the event on the website which can be viewed at</span><span style="line-height: 1.22em; color: rgb(0, 112, 192);"><a href="http://www.haringey.gov.uk/finsburyparkevents" target="_blank" style="line-height: 1.22em; font-weight: inherit; color: rgb(0, 104, 207); cursor: pointer; font-family: Verdana;"><span style="line-height: 1.22em; color: rgb(0, 112, 192);">www.haringey.gov.uk/finsburyparkevents</span></a></span><span style="line-height: 1.22em; color: black;"> - we will continue to add to this site over the coming weeks so that there is a single place for the communication of any new information.<u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u><u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u></span></p><p class="ecxMsoNormal" style="line-height: 15.859999656677246px; margin: 0px 0px 1.35em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Georgia; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="line-height: 1.22em; color: black;"><u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u> <u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u></span></p><p class="ecxMsoNormal" style="line-height: 15.859999656677246px; margin: 0px 0px 1.35em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Georgia; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="line-height: 1.22em; color: black;">A lot has been done this year to improve the delivery of the events both in the build up and on event days themselves. Please be aware that the build up for the Wireless Festival will commence on Friday 27 June.<u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u><u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u></span></p><p class="ecxMsoNormal" style="line-height: 15.859999656677246px; margin: 0px 0px 1.35em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Georgia; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="line-height: 1.22em; color: black;"><u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u> <u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u></span></p><p class="ecxMsoNormal" style="line-height: 15.859999656677246px; margin: 0px 0px 1.35em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Georgia; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="line-height: 1.22em; color: black;">Attached is a copy of the residents’ letter which is being delivered to the agreed distribution area by the event promoter LiveNation. In addition Haringey residents within the agreed distribution area will receive separate letters about additional parking restrictions as part of the traffic management orders that will be in place.<u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u><u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u></span></p><p style="line-height: 15.859999656677246px; margin: 0px 0px 1.35em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Georgia; background: white;"><span lang="EN" style="line-height: 1.22em; font-size: 11pt; color: black;">During the event LiveNation will have a Community Response Team which includes event management, cleaning and security staff who are able to respond to any issues they see or are identified by the local community. <b style="line-height: 1.22em;">LiveNation's Residents’ information line is 020 7195 2012 - only available on event days</b>.<u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u><u style="line-height: 1.22em;"></u></span></p><p class="ecxMsoNormal" style="line-height: 15.859999656677246px; margin: 0px 0px 1.35em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Georgia; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span lang="EN" style="line-height: 1.22em; color: black;">If you have any complaints regarding any aspect of the licensing process including noise, litter, parking etc please call <strong style="line-height: 1.22em;"><span style="line-height: 1.22em;">020 8489 8232 - please note this line will operate between 12noon and 11.30pm on the 4, 5 & 6 July"</span></strong></span></p>
  • A huge section of the park out of commission for 17 days! <div><br></div><div>The e-mail states the build-up will commence on Friday the 27th but on the council website and the LiveNation notice it states it starts tomorrow, Wednesday 25th.</div>
  • Last time they closed the rocks picnic area and the old red climbing frame park desire saying all kids play areas would remain open
  • Parkrun has been cancelled for the next few weeks. I have to be a parkrun refugee at Highbury Fields. 5k equates to 5 laps round the fields, nice welcoming bunch there though
  • Grrr. Looks like the disabled cycling club will be kicked off the basketball courts again this Saturday. Great way to support the local community Haringey Council!
  • Did anyone else go to the consultation?
  • I have given up on attending council 'consultations', since the only result is that I get further annoyed by some mealy-mouthed drivel from a council weasel, and we end up with the exact same result as if the whole charade had been skipped.
  • I read the consultation report and concluded that the whole thing was a sham. The report noted that the vast majority of respondents were against increasing events in the park - several local MPs and interest groups wrote in their opposition as well as Islington Council I believe. However Haringey Council went ahead with their plans regardless.
  • It is a bit like living in Cuba or some other state where the interest of the people is ostensibly put first, but in reality the people are utterly powerless.  I am thankful that the whole events in the park thing is about as bad as it gets local council wise.  Imagine if they had more power....  though, now that the incumbent has an even greater majority than when they made the event decisions, I can only see events in the park becoming a regular annual feature.  For instance, the money raised will now be in the council budget somewhere, and if it gets put in a black hole, rather than earmarked, then they will probably have to find the money from elsewhere if they stop, so they won't. 
  • And yes, there are lorries aplenty unloading in the park this morning
  • Well some one likes the council as they just won with a massive swing to them.<br><br>Is the  school not getting  a fair bit of cash out of this?<br>
  • If  concerts got banded then Mr James  Hendix would have not set his guitar on fire for the first time which he did in 1967.<br><br>The AM Concert was their biggest gig since Glasto <br>
  • I don't think anyone wants concerts to be banned @Ali (although I would have them all indoors), but having a large section of the park out of action for ten days is unfair. Everyone pays for the park, only a few will benefit from a huge area this week and next.
  • Agree that there is a loss of amenity but I wonder how many people would use the space that is closed off over the 15 days  if was open and how that compares to the  135,000  peole who will be at the gigs.<br><br><br><br><br>
  • edited June 2014
    Sorry Miss Annie, but I would liked them banned in local parks. <div><br><div>If the concerts were free, that would be one thing, but they are not. For the Arctic Monkey's Finsbury Park gig, <span style="font-size: 10pt;">80,000 people over two days at £55 per ticket means they pulled in over £4,000,000 -- not bad for two days work.</span></div></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div>It's a money making machine and I wonder how much Haringey was cut in for? I would bet that the fee for park use was probably one of the lower expenses for the promoter. And as dion said, the money isn't even going back into the park, it's goes toward the general council budget.</div><div><br></div><div>If the park was handed over for any other corporate sort of use I think more people would be outraged but because this was a popular band and every one in the UK loves music festivals, it's OK somehow. </div><div><br></div><div>(and it's 17, not 10 days for the Wireless festival alone from set-up/break-down)</div>
  • Hmm actually around 150,000 will enjoy the park over the weekend and only 250,000 live in haringey, not all of whom use the park on a regular basis
  • @Ali -- the space for the concerts is probably the busiest section of Finsbury Park and the 135,000 concertgoers (or however many) will use the park for only three days, not 15.
  • Don't apologise JoeV, I'm in favour of a ban on concerts in all public outdoor spaces. Private land, Glastonbury etc., is another matter entirely. Although why anyone wants to be listening to music knee deep in mud in a field surrounded by thousands of drunk people peeing all over the place is, and always has been, beyond me. I leave it to others to enjoy.
  • There would  have to be just under 8,000 people a day use the space over teh 17 days so I guess that might be possible if the weather  is sunny although I hardly see anyone on that part of the park during the week which 10 of the 17(15) days are.<br><br>The Park is not just paid for through local taxes so I guess most of those attending will have made  a contribution through thier  taxation as well. <br><br><br>
  • Feels like they are closing off more if the park more quickly this time. Fences up all over the place
  • I think the cash Wireless has coughed up for the  school will be helping provide musical instrument lessons for 30 kids for a year.<br>
  • Which school. How much did they give back to the community for taking the park out of action for ten days @Ali?
  • Its nice to know where the money is going.
  • Say 100 pounds a term that is 9k but prob wouldn't be that much. From a notice I saw sg school and one the other side of the park
  • I believe that IAMS, SG and Poolspark have got it, don't know about the orher side of the  Park <br><br>I assume that Haringey Council don't go down to the pub with the fee they get so people in the wider Haringey community must benefit.  Maye you should do an FOI on the council to find out what  the fee is and how they spend  the money<br>
  • No Ali they go to the fancy bars in Cannes...
  • AliAli
    edited June 2014
    Good answer but when you look at the  facts again  3 people attended it cost £16k of which £13k was provided by developer and business sponsorship.<br><br>I hope the council got more than £3k for hiring the park out for Wireless<br>