Recommend: Aerial installer?

edited April 2007 in Local discussion
Hi,

Our new flat only has Telewest sockets, buy I'd rather use Freeview as I've already invested in equipment to receive and record it.

So, does anybody know a local aerial installer that might want to work a couple of hours over Easter?

Thanks,
matt

Comments

• edited 1:09PM
    We really must get a classifieds section up and running.
    Google maps/yellow pages just isn't local enough.
    Something more word-of-mouth and user recommendation would be far more valuable, no?
  • edited April 2007
    Definitely.

Anyway, I've managed to get a certified installer for tomorrow afternoon from <a href="http://www.actionaerials.co.uk">www.actionaerials.co.uk</a> (site crashes Safari for me). Free onsite estimate, and they'll do the job there and then if you think the price is right. And they work holidays!
    Action Aerials, or as the like to refer to themselves on the phone as "The Aerial Company", have cancelled on me twice. First time as they had been delayed on the penultimate job of the day - the one before mine - of course. The second, just now, because the "engineer has not turned up to work". Sack the idiot!

So I'm off to Argos to buy an aerial and will (attempt to) fit it myself.
  • LizLiz
    edited 1:09PM
    Perhaps our new classifieds section can also have a 'blacklist' bit?
    Definitely! :)

Ended up getting an aerial kit from Maplin in Camden and fitted it myself today - quite proud of the fact. Took a couple of hours and lots of preparation!
    I was staggered to find that most new telly's now have freeview built in.

I now want a new telly.
  • edited April 2007
    I purposely chose my new TV not to have it in built, as I'd have to deal with two separate Freeview things. I have a <a href="http://www.toppy.org.uk/">Topfield PVR</a> (imagine Sky+, V+ or TiVo, but for Freeview) which is an amazing bit of kit.
    I have a humax PVR. It is very good too. It only has one tuner mind, next time I'll get one with 2+.
    I've got a dead dead posh DVD thingy - you can pause live tv and put memory sticks in it and everything. And I have no idea how it works. I only recently worked out how to turn it on without making the TV go off. I am waiting for *someone else* to read the instruction manual and sort it.
  • edited April 2007
    I have read the instruction manual and your post DVD thingy is going to have its hard drive filled with Buffy, Nip Tuck and obscure Chinese and French movies. I imagine you'll be okay with the last bit.

It's actually surprisingly simple to work - I think you should be able to figure it out!