Finsbury park - dog walkers vs cyclists. And poo.

edited February 2014 in Local discussion
Hello<div><br></div><div>I know there are a lot of cyclists and slightly fewer local councillors on this discussion board and I wanted to raise a couple of issues about Finsbury Park from the perspective of a dog-owner (and specifically a six month old puppy).</div><div><u><br></u></div><div><u>Cyclists</u></div><div><br></div><div>I appreciate you have to get to work in the morning and we all applaud your concern for the environment, your own health or simply the enjoyment of outdoor space. The vast majority of you are considerate when you decide to take a short cut through the park, either sticking to the road round the outside of the park, or being careful when you cut through the park to go slowly, or at least slow down when you see dogs or other pedestrians. </div><div><br></div><div>However some cyclists seem to think it's OK to hare through the middle of the park at breakneck speed, catching the attention of dogs through your bright colours and swiftly moving frame.  To those cyclists (who tend to be the 'all the gear' types who presumably cycle regularly) can I please urge you to be more considerate and either slow down or go round the outside of the park, because one of these days you're going to hit a dog (or god forbid, a child) and somebody is going to get hurt. And probably sued. If that means leaving 5 minutes earlier for work, so be it.  </div><div><br></div><div>I'm not a cyclist and don'y know many, but I (and other dogs owners) would appreciate it if the message got out there somehow. </div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><u><br></u></span></div><div><u>Poo</u></div><div><br></div><div>There seems to be a fair amount of what I understand to be human faeces in the park.  It's grim and unfortunately dogs eat it and get ill.  It's also tends to be in flowerbeds not far from the playground where I'm sure many of your kids play.  I'm not sure what can be done to stop it, but I've heard that it's less to do with the tramps (who presumably wait until the toilets open and go during the day) and more to do with some of the, ahem, other night-time visitors to the park. </div><div><br></div><div>This is probably one for the council, but obviously other ideas welcomed </div><div><br></div><div>Thanks</div><div><br></div><div>Woodpecker.</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div>

Comments

• edited February 2014
    <div>It's not cyclists vs dog walkers, we are all equally entitled to use the park and people should all behave respectfully.</div><div><br></div>Cyclists A lot of cyclists are idiots. A lot are very responsible, 'twas ever thus. I cycle and am careful and obey the rules. Others couldn't give a monkeys, no amount of politely asking will ever change the way they behave.<div><br></div><div> Poo </div><div>I see a lot of dog owners letting their animals crap all over the place in the park and on the streets without picking it up. It's disgusting and a health hazard. I'm not a dog owner and I don't know many but would appreciate it if people cleaned up after their animals. I bet a hundred thousand pounds that most of what you see is dog crap.</div>
  • <div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 20.799999237060547px; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: small;">I agree that some dog owners are inconsiderate and don't clean up after their pet. However, as a dog owner there is a recognisable difference between dog and human poo and it's a well known issue with Finsbury Park amongst dog owners.  I don't know why dogs like it, but it's impossible to get them away from it and it's grim. </span></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif" size="2"><span style="line-height: 20.799999237060547px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif" size="2"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="line-height: 20.799999237060547px;">In addition, human poo is a lot more of a health concern to other humans than dog poo due to bacterial compatibility etc. </span></span></font></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited February 2014
    Are you sure it's not fox faeces? Dogs absolutely adore that. You'd never catch a cat eating poo!
  • I'm fairly confident that the big pile of faeces with the poo-stained tissue next to it was human!<div><br></div><div>But yes, some of it could be fox and I agree about the cats - ours spend most of the day looking in disgust at the antics of puppy! </div><div><br></div>
  • well THAT'S put me off my lunch... 
  • edited February 2014
    Unfortunately human poo does seem to be a real issue in places, it is on  Tottenham Marshes and used to be by Tottenham lock houses.<div><br></div><div>In those ares it was mainly  people from hostels who either had to leave the hostels during the day, or chose to congregate in areas  with friends if they were in different hostels.</div><div><br></div><div> The man in the lock house got sick of it even happening in his garden . A group of them broke into our barge , once the toilet was blocked up  decided to use the wheelhoues floor, 2 lots of it in there. Thankfully that particular group seem to have moved on, but was very bad for 2 yrs, still happens on the marsh !</div><div><br></div><div> <br><div><br></div><div> </div></div>
  • We had that issue in the roof garden. No idea who shat into our beds of edible plants, but it was disgusting. I usually don't wear gloves when gardening and I don't normally expect faeces in my chard bed. Yuk!<br>
  • I once found in a hotel shower a tin fire bucket with human shit in it. Strange what people leave at hotels.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You wouldn't believe what people are up to in their bedrooms. I mean each to their own, but: gross!<br>
  • Made to clean up ever bit from a public place,be it  human , dog, fox, to get the message across so it 'sticks', then flogged.  
  • The answer , and a good deterrent to all this nasty anti social nonSG type behaviour is to apply - in the interests of greater good - ferocious violence without warning on those shitting, cycling while farting, letting animals wild on the Parkland Walk It usually works and is less fuss than a citizens arrest which Hassan did try when one lad let his massive bulldog crap near the kids playground. Chang
  • My friend got arrested after defeating on the south bank one night. He was hammered. He got arrested and thrown in a cell for the night. He wasn't charged. It was disgusting behaviour but we do still laugh about it.
  • That's something I can't stand either. Spitting out of a car or on the pavement. Spitting in general, just gross.<br><br>Sutent: that's hilarious. <br>
  • My cousin used to rent out a small apartment in Rome, mostly to Americans and Canadians. He's Canadian. His most graphic experience was, cleaning the flat for the next guests, to open the bedside drawer to find a pair of male underpants with what he described as 'a giant turd' carefully wrapped and enfolded within. Some people just take their vile and inexplicable sanitary practises on holiday with them. Always makes a good tale over the Risotto alla Parmigiana though.
  • Saw somebody had curled off a ridiculously large turd in a pub urinal once. Actually quite impressive.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Be careful:</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26195258</font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div></div>