Best non-pizza takeaways/delivery

edited February 2014 in Local discussion
Apologies if there's an earlier post covering these points, but my wife & I have been a little underwhelmed by recent takeaways and wondered if the rest of you have any suggestions.  No need to comment on pizza as I know that's been covered.<div><br></div><div>Our usual choices are:</div><div><br></div><div>Indian: Dinner Box (which seems to have gone a little downhill recently) or Tiffin Tin</div><div>Chinese/Thai: Paya</div><div>Fish & Chips: Chippy on SGR</div><div>Turkish: Yayla, on Green Lanes, although it's been shut for refurbishment for a while it seems. </div><div><br></div><div>Thanks</div><div><br></div><div>Woodpecker</div>

Comments

• Tollington's on Tollington Park for chips. If you can be bothered to walk down to FP the chip shop more or less opposite the Arsenal shop at FP tube is very good. Or Toffs at Muswell Hill, worth the journey.
  • I was going to try Tiffin Tin this weekend for the first time. Have they also gone downhill lately? I seem to be alone with this, but I also really like Exotic of India. I agree with miss annie on Tollington's.
  • I think Tiffin Tin is still fine (as is Dinner Box, just not as good as it used to be for the price, which seems to have gone up) but always nice to have options. At my most recent visit to TT, the Passander was a bit too sweet for me, but they do a nice Paratha and the Saag Paneer had lovely big lumps of cheese in it. <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Hana, the japanese restaurant on Seven Sisters does deliveries and is ridiculously delicious  http://www.hanasushi.net/online_order.php
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dinner Box (although the Dinner Box website is still up and the number is the same and the menu is the same) is now called Dinner Express. They have put the prices up and the food is much worse. The manager was absurdly rude to me when I called to ask what had happened The machli masala used to be superb, now it is just gunk. poxy will no doubt defend it because he is a nicer person but it's finished for me and I used Dinner Box happily for years.<div><br></div><div>Otherwise, Zing Zing and Tiffin Tin. Hana on Seven Sisters will deliver their excellent sushi too.</div>
  • Fuji foods on hornsey lane is the best for sushi but you have to pick up as there is no delivery. I think better than Hana and you can buy frozen edamame and dumplings to make yourself at home Tiffin tin prices have inflated hugely which is a shame as it used to be classy. Ha spawned various offspring like holy cow etc Au lac for Vietnamese used to be good but has disappointed significantly more recently We also did housebites which was great until they changed their business model Tootoomoo was ok. The crispy squid v good but the rest just top end of average Generally feeling uninspired with take away though And bar Esteban v good for lunch deal. Some excellent clams etc but often carb light
  • Jai Krishna don't deliver but do great and plentiful veggie Indian takeaway. Cats are good on the Thai front . Dinner box : agree gone off a bit unless you get the most expensive dishes. M&s curry is actually unbeatable.... Chang
  • We have reverted to Dhonia after a dalliance with Dinner Box - the latter just seems v pricey for what you get.
  • <p>Huge shock last night to discover that Dinner Box/Dinner Express have put their prices up by around 25% across the board! Food was decent enough but for that money we could probably have eaten at Season!</p><p>They've lost this once loyal customer. 25% of nothing is...</p>
  • We do:<br><br>Dhonia for Indian<br>Cats for Thai <br>Silkmaker for Chinese - have tried loads of others but ended up going back there<br>I thought Zing Zing's food was nice but portions a bit small<br>Chippy or Tollingtons for fish and chips<br><br>I tend to just drive and pick the food up, as it means you don't have to do the usual 45 minutes - could be 15 minutes could be an hour 15 minutes takeaway delivery lie wait.<br><br>(I know this is environmentally unsound but unlike walking the foodgets home hot)<br>
  • Tiffin tin got a giles coren mention in the times today.