Licensing events on the basketball courts in Finsbury Park

LizLiz
edited April 2014 in Local discussion
So, the Zippo Circus on the basketball courts is finally coming down - not before time. I can see it from my window and, surprise surprise, I can also hear it. This is the first time in the last 7 years there's been anything on that site apart from the Kurdish New Year festival (also horrendously noisy but at least only for one day a year). The circus was almost a week. I'd be interested to know others' views. And local councillors - what's the policy on this?

Comments

• It seems Haringey Council is on a mission to squeeze the maximum amount of profit out of the park. I was on the basketball courts on Saturday, and let me tell you, it stank! It smelt like a zoo toilet. Did the circus have animals or was this of human origin I wonder?
  • You're lucky it was only one week.  Those near Sugar Lounge had to endure a bar that didn't even have proper license keep us up or disturb us for years on end.  
  • Let it go, eh? It's over. You won. Stop dwelling on extinguished hurts.
  • <div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial; font-size: small;">Hi</div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial; font-size: small;"><br></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial; font-size: small;">I raised this issue at a meeting of the Finsbury Park Events stakeholder group on Wednesday evening and was assured that the use of the basketball courts for the circus was a one off that won't be repeated.  I was told that it happened because of how wet a spring it has been and they wanted to try to protect the grass - but they have no plans for fairs, circuses or other events to go there in the future (other than the annual Newroz festival).</div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial; font-size: small;"><br></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial; font-size: small;">I hope this is reassuring.  If any plans to use the basketball courts for events in the future do re-emerge then I really hope they will be debated at this new stakeholder group beforehand.</div>
  • Thanks Richard - great that you raised this and it's good to know that there hasn't been a decision to use the space more regularly.
  • I see the Moscow State Circus have annexed part of Alexandra Palace. A few hacked off folk wondering where the farmer's market was this morning...
  • Maybe the animals are happier in a circus than down your gob. Chang