SGR improvements?

edited April 2007 in Local discussion
Just [seen this](http://www.hornseyjournal.co.uk/content/haringey/hornseyjournal/news/story.aspx?brand=HCEJOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newshcej&itemid=WeED11 Apr 2007 09:44:02:353) Might be good news, although if anyone can enlighten me on the "improvements" that have been made to Fonthill road I'd be most interested.... can't say i've noticed any.

Comments

• edited 4:34AM
    Oooh, why's my post gone weird? (I am definitely not a techie)
  • edited April 2007
    Put just seen this
    with out *
    and click html at the bottom
  • edited April 2007
    or

[Seen as this](LinkAddress)

and select Markdown below as you go to post it, like i've just edited your post for you.
    Right, thanks. I will try very hard to remember that for next time.
    Fonthill Road! Well I never!

I always like to get my oar in when I can having been a Stroud Greener before most of you were born.

After the war, and until as far as I remember, Fonthill Road was looked upon as being on the edge of hell. This was where all the criminals and scrubbers were at home, where you didn't walk at all, where Stroud Green School was saved from disgrace by not being in Islington, and when anyone turning left on the way out of Finsbury Park tube station at Wells Terrace on the way home was regarded as someone to be avoided at all costs.

I can't remember it ever changing - but I haven't seen the road since 1966 so I can't say much more.

If life is getting better there then I wish everyone the best of luck...!
    One of my best friends lives on Fonthill Road!

Not that bad really, apart from all the dodgy fashion shops.
  • edited April 2007
    The edge of hell must have lightened up and got into shoes and handbags after we won the World Cup, Busby.
  • LizLiz
    edited 4:34AM
    Lots has happened to Fonthill Road in the last 6 years. They've pretty much completely redone all the pavements down the bottom end, put in parking bays, traffic calming stuff and crossings, improved the street lighting (a lot) and put in CCTV. And I think they have planted some trees soon. Not sure it's made a lot of difference to the quality of the shops but the City North centre is nice and of course there is also Red Rita (still not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing). I would say that the street lighting and the CCTV have made the biggest difference - it does feel a bit safer than it did.
    Interesing comment you make about which direction you turn out of Finsbury Park, Wells Terrace exit Busy.

Now you mention it I never notice many people turning left, Fonthill Road direction. I usually head due north and follow quiet Charteris Road up to home at Tollington Park for some peace and quiet rather than wig/butcherdom on the bottom of SGR. I don't like all those right turning W3/W7 people clogging up my thoroughfare.
    Though seeing as its mostly shops to the left and residential in pretty much every other direction, that makes sense that not so many turn left, no?
    As I said, I haven't been there for 41 years, so things will have changed.

But, it used to be as I have described - I can't imagine it any different!