Summer Walks.

edited June 2014 in Local discussion
Coming into summer it's good to sometimes explore the less known areas in our city or nearby.  I like water so I propose the New River Walk.  You can start it at Finsbury Park and walk past the M25 onto Hertford.  You can use the national rail system, most of it oyster to get you there and back.<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">http://shelford.org/walks/newriver.pdf</span><div><div><div><div><br></div><div>Of course, the Thames is great too, but would like you to add any other interesting London and around walks here.<br><div><br></div><div><br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2014
    The Essex Way is beautiful but extremely hard going. I've done bits of it over a weekend but not all. Goes from Epping (not a hard walk from here), out to Harwich and takes in some of the country's oldest villages and ancient woodlands. Take a camera. Edit. Worth noting that the footpath is 80 miles long, I just checked, no wonder I've never trekked the whole thing!
  • edited June 2014
    Great idea for a thread.<div>I'd recommend anything involving the Regent's Canal.  Starting in Hackney Wick is fun, taking in parts of the Olympic Park.  The Crate Brewery and nearby Bar 90 are worth a stop - and there is a new bridge over the canal next to Bar 90.  The new linear park next to the canal there is really shaping up.  Then a stroll down the Hertford Union, onto the Regent's, maybe stopping at Broadway market if it's a Sunday.  Then on to Islington and settle in the Narrowboat with a pint and the papers.  Bliss.<br><br></div>
  • edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks for your great contributions.<div><br></div><div>Concerning the New River Walk, it's important to know that for a few miles between the ladder and Palmers Green the river submerges and you have to use some mapping system to find its re-emergence.  This adds a bit to its mystique for me but it can be a bit bewildering especially if you like a straight-forward walk.  Also it's worth following it from Finsbury Park down through Stanford Hill and where it leads to an odd marina. You'll view the area in a different light after this.</div>
  • train to gospel oak, walk up and over the heath to kenwood, then 210 back. or exactly the same route, but in reverse.
  • and obviously, all the way up the parkland walk to ally pally then one of the Ws back or walk and wiggle. 
  • Kenwood walk always better to start at parkland walk and stop at Highgate for a cuppa and walk back round through Camden
  • @ Misscara, yes, you're right, not exactly Stamford Hill, more Manor House, and Woodberry Down to be precise.  <div><br><div>The reservoirs are lovely near Tottenham Hale.</div><div><br></div><div>A 254 or 106 to just past  one or two stops past Stanford Hill heading to Hackney and then walk down Spring Hill to Springfield park and cross the Lea to the reservoirs and pleasant day can be had.  </div></div>
  • Blame the LB of Haringey.<br>
  • @ NorthNineteen.  I thought we were all trying to be less negative but you're carrying on with the same bad mouthing that got the LibDems into trouble at the council elections. As Vic Reeves stated 'you wouldn't let it lie'.
  • edited June 2014
    I'm blaming the council, as much the officers as the elected members.  I haven't brought politics into it - ypu have. I work with councils across London and it pains me to see LBH get things wrong so much and also care so little about a part of London within their borough which has many good things going for it.  I am also active with the council trying to improve things. I'm not even a Lib Dem or live within LBH or a negative person.  But for the benefits of this place I shall here forth avoid any negative portrayal of the Labour administration at LBH.
  • On re-reading that came across as more sarcastic than I intended - it wasn't meant to be so hope it's not read that way.
  • @ N19 I thought you were this guy called Marc Pack who is quite active in the Lib Dems.  In fact SG.org seems to be a a front for the Lib Dems.  <div><br></div><div>No sarcasm intended.</div>
  • If I had that name I wouldn't hide behind the monkier N19.  I've always thought the SG.org seems to harbour all the Conservatives in N4....
  • @ N19, whoever you are, thanks for turning a nice thread about summer walks into a rant against Labour.  And you are a liar, I know you are a Lib Dem activist. <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited December 2017
  • Haha, what the heck! Where did that come from? No rant against labour from me - I happen to think Islington is a very well run and efficient council and I'm glad I live this side of the SGR.  I don't appreciate being called a liar and not sure what warranted that, but anyway.<div><br></div><div>Summer walks: I love a nice walk through Hamsptead Heath, 210 to Kenwood House and then downhill towards either Hampstead or Gospel Oak is my favourite.  I also enjoy the walk from Kings Cross through the new development and then onwards through Camden, Regents Park and onto Little Venice.  Finally visited the Olympic Park the other day and found is stunning too - especially if you enter/exit from Hackney Wick. </div>
  • Actually, Stationers Park is very nice too.  But completely agree with Misscara about both Ally Pally park and Finsbury Park - they should both be jewels in the crown for this part of the world.
  • Whoah there. This went to defcon one pretty quickly! (I guess n19 lives in n19 and not n4 and isn't markpack as markpack has his own name on here called markpack) Anyway go to blackheath on the train. Walk across the Heath to Greenwich park. Amble through the park down past the naval college and cutty sark. You can walk under the river and up to canary wharf it just get the boat back to charing cross and come home. If you are lucky you can do this without talking to any members of the Labour Party
  • edited June 2014
    Loyd Park looks lovely, will need to go for a stroll over. I would not encourage folks to go walking around the reservoirs, our mooring backs on to the old river with them opposite, I often have an outdoor shower down there, wouldn't want to traumatize anyone!